- HIV prevalence and incidence among sexually active females in two districts of South Africa to determine microbicide trial feasibility
International Partnership for Microbicides, Silver Spring, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e21528. 2011
..The suitability of populations of sexually active women in Madibeng (North-West Province) and Mbekweni (Western Cape), South Africa, for a Phase III vaginal microbicide trial was evaluated...
- HIV incidence remains high in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: evidence from three districts
International Partnership for Microbicides, Silver Spring, Maryland United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e35278. 2012
- Bacterial vaginosis and vaginal yeast, but not vaginal cleansing, increase HIV-1 acquisition in African women
Janneke H H M van de Wijgert
Academic Medical Center, Center for Poverty related Communicable Diseases, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 48:203-10. 2008
..To evaluate interrelationships between bacterial vaginosis (BV), vaginal yeast, vaginal practices (cleansing and drying/tightening), mucosal inflammation, and HIV acquisition...
- Disentangling contributions of reproductive tract infections to HIV acquisition in African Women
Janneke H H M van de Wijgert
Academic Medical Center, Center for Poverty related Communicable Diseases, Meibergdreef 9 T0 120, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sex Transm Dis 36:357-64. 2009
..To estimate the effects of reproductive tract infections (RTIs) on HIV acquisition among Zimbabwean and Ugandan women...
- The risk factor profile of women with secondary infertility: an unmatched case-control study in Kigali, Rwanda
International Centre for Reproductive Health, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
BMC Womens Health 11:32. 2011
- Twelve-Month Antiretroviral Therapy Suppresses Plasma and Genital Viral Loads but Fails to Alter Genital Levels of Cytokines, in a Cohort of HIV-Infected Rwandan Women
Amsterdam Institute of Global Health and Development AIGHD, Department of Global Health of the Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 10:e0127201. 2015
..We aimed to identify the risk factors of detectable GVL, and the impact of ART on HIV genital shedding and its correlates in a cohort of HIV-infected women, attending HIV care in Kigali, Rwanda...
- Anal intercourse among female sex workers in East Africa is associated with other high-risk behaviours for HIV
Nienke J Veldhuijzen
Academic Medical Center of the University of Amsterdam and Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sex Health 8:251-4. 2011
..Little is known about the prevalence of heterosexual anal intercourse (AI), its correlates and its role in the spread of HIV. Prevention messaging seldom, if ever, includes AI...
- Safety and effectiveness of combination antiretroviral therapy during the first year of treatment in HIV-1 infected Rwandan children: a prospective study
Philippe R Mutwa
Kigali University Teaching Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Kigali, Rwanda Department of Global Health and Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 9:e111948. 2014
..With increased availability of paediatric combination antiretroviral therapy (cART) in resource limited settings, cART outcomes and factors associated with outcomes should be assessed...
- Low primary and secondary HIV drug-resistance after 12 months of antiretroviral therapy in human immune-deficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1)-infected individuals from Kigali, Rwanda
Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development AIGHD, Department of Global Health, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 8:e64345. 2013
- Challenges in microbicide trial design and implementation
Janneke van de Wijgert
IATEC Foundation, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Stud Fam Plann 37:123-9. 2006