- Influenza vaccination in Mississippi, 1992-2003: trends, subgroup comparisons, and forecastLei Zhang
Office of Science and Evaluation, Mississippi State Department of Health, Jackson, MS 39215 1700, USA
J Miss State Med Assoc 46:337-43. 2005..We examined longitudinal trends in relative frequency of influenza vaccination in the state of Mississippi...
- Violence-related behaviors on school property among Mississippi Public High School students, 1993--2003Lei Zhang
Office of Science and Evaluation, Mississippi State Dept of Health, Jackson, MS 39215 1700, USA
J Sch Health 75:67-71. 2005..Future studies should elucidate mechanisms associated with the self-reported decreasing behaviors so intervention programs can be properly focused...
- Association of maternal medical conditions and unfavorable birth outcomes: findings from the 1996-2003 Mississippi linked birth and death dataLei Zhang
Mississippi State Department of Health, PO Box 1700, Jackson, MS, 39215 1700, USA
Matern Child Health J 15:910-20. 2011....
- Associations of fast food restaurant availability with dietary intake and weight among African Americans in the Jackson Heart Study, 2000-2004DeMarc A Hickson
Jackson Heart Study, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS 39213, USA
Am J Public Health 101:S301-9. 2011..We examined the associations of fast food restaurant (FFR) availability with dietary intake and weight among African Americans in the southeastern United States...
- Regional and racial disparities in asthma hospitalizations in MississippiSitesh Ranen Roy
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Allergy Immunology, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Miss, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 125:636-42. 2010..These disparities among asthma hospitalizations might be affected by social, environmental, and health-care access factors...
- Body mass index and health related quality of life in elementary school children: a pilot studyLei Zhang
Mississippi State Department of Health, Jackson, MS, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 6:77. 2008..We investigated the relationship between Body Mass Index (BMI) and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) indicated by baseline health status in elementary school children...
- Association of maternal chronic disease and negative birth outcomes in a non-Hispanic Black-White Mississippi birth cohortJuanita Graham
Mississippi Department of Health, Jackson, Mississippi 39215 1700, USA
Public Health Nurs 24:311-7. 2007..To investigate the impact of selected maternal chronic medical conditions, race, and age on preterm birth (PTB), low birth weight (LBW), and infant mortality among Mississippi mothers from 1999 to 2003...
- Using small-area estimation method to calculate county-level prevalence of obesity in Mississippi, 2007-2009Zhen Zhang
Center of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 N State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 8:A85. 2011..The objective of this study was to assess the scope, socioeconomic and geographic characteristics, and temporal trends of the obesity epidemic in Mississippi...
- Academic performance and substance use: findings from a state survey of public high school studentsReagan G Cox
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1665 University Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Sch Health 77:109-15. 2007..This study investigated the relationship between academic performance and substance use among public high school students in Mississippi...
- Bivariate whole genome linkage analysis for femoral neck geometric parameters and total body lean massFei Yan Deng
Laboratory of Molecular and Statistical Genetics, College of Life Sciences, Hunan Normal University, Changsha, Hunan, China
J Bone Miner Res 22:808-16. 2007..A genome-wide bivariate analysis was conducted for femoral neck GPs and TBLM in a large white sample. We found QTLs shared by GPs and TBLM in the total sample and the sex-specific samples. QTLs with potential pleiotropy were also disclosed...
- Novel role of Y1 receptors in the coordinated regulation of bone and energy homeostasisPaul A Baldock
Bone and Mineral Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, St Vincent s Hospital, 384 Victoria St, Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia
J Biol Chem 282:19092-102. 2007..Thus Y1 receptor pathways act powerfully to inhibit bone production and adiposity by nonhypothalamic pathways, with potentially direct effects on bone tissue through a single pathway with Y2 receptors...
- T cell epitope-based peptide-DNA dual vaccine induces protective immunity against Schistosoma japonicum infection in C57BL/6J miceLei Zhang
Department of Pathogen Biology and Immunology, Jiangsu Province Laboratory of Pathogen Biology, Nanjing Medical University, 140 Hanzhong Road, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210029, PR China
Microbes Infect 10:251-9. 2008..Together, these results suggest that P5 could be used as a vaccine immunogen for both worm killing and disease prevention against S. japonicum...
- Genome-wide association scans identified CTNNBL1 as a novel gene for obesityYong Jun Liu
School of Medicine, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Hum Mol Genet 17:1803-13. 2008..Our study also provided supportive evidence for previously identified associations between obesity and INSIG2 and PFKP, but not FTO...
- Health status, physical disability, and obesity among adult Mississippians with chronic joint symptoms or doctor-diagnosed arthritis: findings from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2003Nadine T James
School of Nursing, University of Southern Mississippi, 118 College Drive 5095, Hattiesburg, MS 39406 0001, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 5:A85. 2008....
- Evaluation of a nutrition education intervention for women residents of Washington, DC, public housing communitiesSharada Shankar
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 610 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Health Educ Res 22:425-37. 2007..2 and 324.5 fewer calories and 3.08 and 2.97% fewer calories from fat. Results suggest that, for some residents of low-resource communities, small group interventions are popular, effective vehicles for nutrition education...
- Clinical observation on treatment of chronic aplastic anemia by Shengxuening and cyclosporin AXue Zhong Zhang
Depatment of Hematology, The First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210006, China
Chin J Integr Med 12:142-5. 2006..To explore the therapy to further elevate the efficacy of the treatment of chronic aplastic anemia (CAA)...
- Prevalence of overweight among elementary and middle school students in Mississippi compared with prevalence data from the Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance SystemJerome R Kolbo
The University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Miss 39406, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 3:A84. 2006....
- Hepatitis C virus-related adult chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: experience from a single Chinese centerLei Zhang
Eur J Haematol 70:196-7. 2003
- Chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in adult Chinese patients: a retrospective single-centered analysis of 1791 casesHong Qiang Li
Department of Thrombosis and Hemostasis, Institute of Hematology and Blood Diseases Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Tianjin 300020, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 118:34-7. 2005..This study aimed at defining the treatment outcome and prognostic factors for chronic ITP based on a large cohort of Chinese patients followed up for over 25 years at a single center...
- Intrauterine infections and birth defectsXiao Ying Zheng
Institute of Population Research WHO Collaborating Center on Reproductive Health and Population Science, Beijing 100871, China
Biomed Environ Sci 17:476-91. 2004..Birth defect researches in terms of etiology and the development of applicable and sensitive pathogen detection technology and methods are imperative...
- [Study on metronidazole resistance to Helicobacter pylori from three populations with different ethnics in Yunnan]Yue Yan Hu
Digestive Department, The First Affiliated Hospital, Kunming Medical College, Kunming 650032, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 25:986-8. 2004..To evaluate the prevalence of Helicobacter pylori (H.pylori) resistance to metronidazole among three populations in Yunnan...
- Gene transcription profile in mice vaccinated with ultraviolet-attenuated cercariae of Schistosoma japonicum reveals molecules contributing to elevated IFN-gamma levelsXiang Zhu
Department of Pathogenic Biology, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 37:254-64. 2005..A comprehensive understanding of the immune mechanisms of attenuated cercariae-induced protection may contribute to developing efficient vaccination strategies against S. japonicum, especially during the early stage of infection...
- High-potency human immunodeficiency virus vaccination leads to delayed and reduced CD8+ T-cell expansion but improved virus controlMiles P Davenport
Department of Haematology, Prince of Wales Hospital and Centre for Vascular Research, University of New South Wales, Kensington, Australia
J Virol 79:10059-62. 2005..Nevertheless, higher initial CD8(+) T-cell numbers were associated with reduced peak and chronic viral loads and reduced CD4(+) T-cell depletion...
- [Conditional logistic model multivariate analysis on risk factors of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Hunan]Hao Wang
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 30:356-7, 359. 2005
- Restoration of immunity in lymphopenic individuals with cancer by vaccination and adoptive T-cell transferAaron P Rapoport
University of Maryland Greenebaum Cancer Center and Center for Vaccine Development, 22 South Greene Street Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Nat Med 11:1230-7. 2005..05). In the setting of lymphopenia, combined vaccine therapy and adoptive T-cell transfer fosters the development of enhanced memory T-cell responses...
- Differential protein expression in hypertrophic heart with and without hypertension in spontaneously hypertensive ratsXian Jin
Department of Geriatrics, Ren Ji Hospital, Department of Pathophysiology, Key Laboratory of Cell Differentiation and Apoptosis of Chinese Ministry of Education corrected Shanghai Jiao Tong University Medical School, Shanghai, PR China
Proteomics 6:1948-56. 2006..Our results also provide evidence to support the hypothesis that oxidative stress plays an important role in the development of hypertensive cardiac hypertrophy...
- Blood rheological properties are strongly related to the metabolic syndrome in middle-aged ChineseLei Zhang
Department of Cardiology, Tianjin 254th hospital No 160, 5th Road, Hebei District, 300142, Tianjin, China
Int J Cardiol 112:229-33. 2006..In summary, this study has shown that WBV is strongly related to the severity of the metabolic syndrome. We suggest that the hemorheological parameters could potentially be used as an additional indicator of the metabolic syndrome...
- Leptin enhances in vitro secretion of IgG antiplatelet antibodies by splenocytes and peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpuraHe Ren
State Key Laboratory of Experimental Hematology, Institute of Hematology and Blood Diseases Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Tianjin 300020, PR China
Clin Immunol 120:205-11. 2006..Further studies showed that leptin could increase platelet reactive T cells. These findings suggest that leptin may be involved in the pathogenesis of chronic ITP and might offer a potential target for the treatment of this disease...
- [p53 gene codon 72 polymorphism and susceptibility to esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a Chinese population]Lei Zhang
Department of Pathology, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, 100021 P R China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi 19:10-3. 2002..To investigate the relationship between p53 codon 72 polymorphism and susceptibility to esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in China...