Affiliation: Yale University
- Media exposure and tobacco, illicit drugs, and alcohol use among children and adolescents: a systematic reviewMarcella Nunez-Smith
Section of General Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, and Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Subst Abus 31:174-92. 2010..Substantial variability in methodological rigor across studies and expanding definitions of media exposure contribute to persistent gaps in the knowledge base...
- Race/ethnicity and workplace discrimination: results of a national survey of physiciansMarcella Nunez-Smith
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:1198-204. 2009..Promoting racial/ethnic diversity within the physician workforce is a national priority. However, the extent of racial/ethnic discrimination reported by physicians from diverse backgrounds in today's health-care workplace is unknown...
- Institutional variation in the promotion of racial/ethnic minority faculty at US medical schoolsMarcella Nunez-Smith
Department of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Am J Public Health 102:852-8. 2012..We compared faculty promotion rates by race/ethnicity across US academic medical centers...
- Racial and ethnic differences in personal cervical cancer screening amongst post-graduate physicians: results from a cross-sectional surveyJoseph S Ross
Department of Geriatrics and Adult Development, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
BMC Public Health 8:378. 2008..Our objective was to explore racial and ethnic differences in adherence to cervical cancer screening recommendations among female post-graduate physicians...
- Impact of race on the professional lives of physicians of African descentMarcella Nunez-Smith
Yale University School of Medicine and Yale University School of Epidemiology and Public Health, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Ann Intern Med 146:45-51. 2007..However, insight into the professional experiences of minority physicians is limited. This knowledge is fundamental to developing effective strategies to recruit, retain, and support a diverse physician workforce...
- Health care workplace discrimination and physician turnoverMarcella Nunez-Smith
Section of General Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 101:1274-82. 2009..To examine the association between physician race/ ethnicity, workplace discrimination, and physician job turnover...
- Quality of care in the US territoriesMarcella Nunez-Smith
Department of Medicine, Yale UniversitySchool of Medicine, PO Box 208088, IE 61 SHM, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Arch Intern Med 171:1528-40. 2011..Health care quality in the US territories is poorly characterized. We used process measures to compare the performance of hospitals in the US territories and in the US states...
- Healthcare workplace conversations on race and the perspectives of physicians of African descentMarcella Nunez-Smith
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 09520 8088, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1471-6. 2008..Although experts recommend that healthcare organizations create forums for honest dialogue about race, there is little insight into the physician perspectives that may influence these conversations across the healthcare workforce...
- Professional challenges of non-U.S.-born international medical graduates and recommendations for support during residency trainingPeggy Guey Chi Chen
Division of Health Policy and Administration, Yale University School of Public Health, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8088, USA
Acad Med 86:1383-8. 2011..The authors interviewed a diverse group of IMGs to identify challenges that might be eased by targeted interventions provided within the structure of residency training...
- Attitudes, training experiences, and professional expectations of US general surgery residents: a national surveyHeather Yeo
Division of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
JAMA 302:1301-8. 2009..Despite the importance of resident perspectives in designing effective responses to these pressures, understanding of residents' views is limited...
- Career satisfaction in primary care: a comparison of international and US medical graduatesPeggy G Chen
Division of Health Policy and Administration, Yale School of Public Health, 47 College Street, New Haven, CT 06520 8088, USA
J Gen Intern Med 27:147-52. 2012..Low career satisfaction has adverse consequences on physician recruitment and retention...
- Professional experiences of international medical graduates practicing primary care in the United StatesPeggy Guey Chi Chen
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street IE 61 SHM, PO Box 208088, New Haven, CT 06520 8088, USA
J Gen Intern Med 25:947-53. 2010..Despite the central role of IMGs in the US healthcare system, understanding of their professional experiences is limited...
- Socially-assigned race, healthcare discrimination and preventive healthcare servicesTracy MacIntosh
Department of Emergency Medicine, School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e64522. 2013..However, beyond self-identification, these outcomes may vary depending on whether racial/ethnic minorities are perceived by others as being minority or white; this perception is referred to as socially-assigned race...
- The career trajectories of health care professionals practicing with permanent disabilitiesLeslie Neal-Boylan
Department of Nursing, Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, USA
Acad Med 87:172-8. 2012....
- Gender and the pre-clinical experiences of female medical students: a taxonomyPalav Babaria
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA Department of Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Med Educ 45:249-60. 2011..We focused on female medical students to characterise how gender shapes the range of their professional experiences during the pre-clinical years of medical school...
- Needs and priorities in women's health training: perspectives from an internal medicine residency programEvelyn Hsieh
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8031, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 22:667-72. 2013..The association between reported comfort level and perceived adequacy of training and management frequency was also assessed...
- Attrition from surgical residency training: perspectives from those who leftTasce Bongiovanni
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA, USA Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars Program, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, PO Box 208088, New Haven, CT, USA US Department of Veterans Affairs, Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, CT, USA Electronic address
Am J Surg 210:648-54. 2015..High rates of attrition from general surgery residency may threaten the surgical workforce. We sought to gain further insight regarding resident motivations for leaving general surgery residency...
- Adapting the everyday discrimination scale to medical settings: reliability and validity testing in a sample of African American patientsMonica E Peek
Section of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Ethn Dis 21:502-9. 2011..Consequently, we sought to test the psychometric properties of a modified version of the Everyday Discrimination scale, adapted for medical settings...
- The effect of gender on the clinical clerkship experiences of female medical students: results from a qualitative studyPalav Babaria
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8088, USA
Acad Med 84:859-66. 2009..To characterize how female medical students perceive the role of gender within their medical education during the transition to the clinical curriculum...