Joan M Cook
Affiliation: Yale University
- Assessment and psychological treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder in older adultsJoan M Cook
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 18:61-71. 2005..Explicit suggestions for best practices are made...
- Perceived Characteristics of Intervention Scale: Development and Psychometric PropertiesJoan M Cook
Yale School of Medicine, West Haven, CT, USA National Center for PTSD, West Haven, CT, USA
Assessment 22:704-14. 2015..Consideration of providers' perceptions of particular evidence-based treatments may serve as an aid to improve their dissemination, implementation, and sustained use. ..
- A Quantitative Test of an Implementation Framework in 38 VA Residential PTSD ProgramsJoan M Cook
Yale School of Medicine, NEPEC 182, 950 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT, 06516, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 42:462-73. 2015..For both group and individual CPT, only the supportive organizational context was significantly associated with outcome. Implications for implementation efforts are discussed. ..
- Evaluation of an implementation model: a national investigation of VA residential programsJoan M Cook
Yale School of Medicine and National Center for PTSD, 950 Campbell Avenue, NEPEC 182, West Haven, CT, 06516, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 42:147-56. 2015..Leadership was associated with PE implementation. Implications for the design and improvement of training and implementation efforts are discussed. ..
- Prevalence of physical and sexual assault and mental health disorders in older women: findings from a nationally representative sampleJoan M Cook
Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT National Center for PTSD, U S Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC Electronic address
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 21:877-86. 2013..This study presents prevalence and characteristics of physical and sexual assaults, and their relationship to posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and mood and anxiety disorders in a nationally representative sample of older women...
- Iraq and Afghanistan veterans: national findings from VA residential treatment programsJoan M Cook
Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Psychiatry 76:18-31. 2013..g., physical activity), and adaptations (e.g., inclusion of family; shortened length of stay). Clinical implications for VA managers and policy makers as well as non-VA health care systems and individual health care providers are noted...
- A formative evaluation of two evidence-based psychotherapies for PTSD in VA residential treatment programsJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06516, USA
J Trauma Stress 26:56-63. 2013..Suggestions for improving the adoption of PE and CPT are noted, including distilling manualized treatments to essential common elements...
- Measurement of a model of implementation for health care: toward a testable theoryJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, 950 Campbell Avenue, NEPEC 182, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Implement Sci 7:59. 2012..The present paper represents a first step in operationalizing Greenhalgh et al.'s model by providing background, rationale, working definitions, and measurement of key constructs...
- What do psychotherapists really do in practice? An Internet study of over 2,000 practitionersJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Psychotherapy (Chic) 47:260-7. 2010..Efforts to disseminate empirically based therapies require understanding and accommodating clinicians' tendencies to integrate techniques...
- Imagery rehearsal for posttraumatic nightmares: a randomized controlled trialJoan M Cook
Yale University and National Center for PTSD, 950 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
J Trauma Stress 23:553-63. 2010..Six sessions of imagery rehearsal delivered in group format did not produce substantive improvement in Vietnam War veterans with chronic, severe PTSD. Possible explanations for findings are discussed...
- Apples don't fall far from the tree: influences on psychotherapists' adoption and sustained use of new therapiesJoan M Cook
Northeast Program Evaluation Center, Department of Veterans Affairs VA, Connecticut Healthcare System, 950 Campbell Ave, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Psychiatr Serv 60:671-6. 2009..The purpose of this investigation was to identify influences on the current clinical practices of a broad range of mental health providers as well as influences on their adoption and sustained use of new practices...
- Barriers to adoption of new treatments: an internet study of practicing community psychotherapistsJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 36:83-90. 2009..Specific ideas for overcoming these barriers are identified...
- A content analysis of advertisements for psychotherapy workshops: implications for disseminating empirically supported treatmentsJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
J Clin Psychol 64:296-307. 2008..g., use of superlatives and exclamation points). Promotional strategies to advertise psychotherapy workshops can be used to inform the dissemination of empirically supported treatments...
- Older women survivors of physical and sexual violence: a systematic review of the quantitative literatureJoan M Cook
Yale School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, New Haven, CT 06516, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 20:1075-81. 2011..This systematic review synthesizes the quantitative empirical literature concerning older women survivors of physical and sexual assault...
- Older primary care patients' willingness to consider discontinuation of chronic benzodiazepinesJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 29:396-401. 2007..To examine factors related to older primary care patients' willingness to consider tapering/discontinuation of long-term benzodiazepine use...
- Changes in implementation of two evidence-based psychotherapies for PTSD in VA residential treatment programs: a national investigationJoan M Cook
Yale School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, New Haven, Connecticut, USA National Center for PTSD, Evaluation Division, West Haven, Connecticut, USA and Executive Division, White River Junction, Vermont, USA
J Trauma Stress 27:137-43. 2014..g., tailoring, lengthening). Reasons for adaptations are discussed. The need to dedicate time and resources toward the implementation of EBTs is noted. ..
- A test of the tripartite model of depression and anxiety in older adult psychiatric outpatientsJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Psychol Aging 19:444-51. 2004..Ways for taking into account possible age-associated differences in emotion in older adults and thus improving the conceptual model of anxiety and depression are briefly noted...
- Psychological resilience in older U.S. veterans: results from the national health and resilience in veterans studyRobert H Pietrzak
National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Veterans Affairs Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, CT, USA
Depress Anxiety 30:432-43. 2013..Although a large body of empirical research has examined negative psychological outcomes in older veterans, relatively little is known about the prevalence and determinants of psychological resilience in this population...
- Exposure to trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in older veterans attending primary care: comorbid conditions and self-rated health statusU Nalla B Durai
Department of Psychiatry, Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, School of Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 59:1087-92. 2011..Assess the prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptomatology and its association with health characteristics in a geriatric primary care population...
- Suicidal ideation in veterans receiving treatment for opiate dependenceRichard Thompson
Juvenile Protective Association, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60622, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 38:149-56. 2006..The implications of these findings are discussed, and frequent screening for suicidal ideation among patients receiving treatment for opiate dependence is recommended...
- Psychological resilience in U.S. military veterans: A 2-year, nationally representative prospective cohort studyKayla Isaacs
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar St, New Haven, CT 06510, USA Electronic address
J Psychiatr Res 84:301-309. 2017..Prevention and treatment efforts designed to enhance modifiable factors such as gratitude, sense of purpose, and altruism may help promote resilience in highly trauma-exposed veterans...
- Preferences for trauma treatment: A systematic review of the empirical literatureVanessa Simiola
Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine and National Center for PTSD
Psychol Trauma 7:516-24. 2015..Understanding and addressing trauma patient preferences may assist in improving treatment initiation as well as facilitate engagement, retention and outcome...
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and current relationship functioning among World War II ex-prisoners of warJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia VA Medical Center, 19104, USA
J Fam Psychol 18:36-45. 2004..Emotional numbing was significantly associated with relationship difficulties independent of other symptom complexes and severity of PTSD. Implications for clinical practice are discussed...
- Post-traumatic stress disorder in older adults: a systematic review of the psychotherapy treatment literatureStephanie Dinnen
a Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, United States
Aging Ment Health 19:144-50. 2015..This review examined reports of psychological treatment for trauma-related problems, primarily PTSD, in studies with samples of at least 50% adults aged 55 and older using standardized measures...
- Influential psychotherapy figures, authors, and books: An Internet survey of over 2,000 psychotherapistsJoan M Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University
Psychotherapy (Chic) 46:42-51. 2009..PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2010 APA, all rights reserved)...
- Mental Health Treatment for Older Veterans Newly Diagnosed with PTSD: A National InvestigationNoelle B Smith
National Center for PTSD, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, CT Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT Electronic address
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 24:201-12. 2016....
- Physicians' perspectives on prescribing benzodiazepines for older adults: a qualitative studyJoan M Cook
Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:303-7. 2007..There is a continued high prevalence of benzodiazepine use by older community-residing adults and of their continued prescription by practitioners, despite well known adverse effects and the availability of safer, effective alternatives...
- Dissemination and feasibility of a cognitive-behavioral treatment for substance use disorders and posttraumatic stress disorder in the Veterans AdministrationJoan M Cook
Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 38:89-92. 2006..Recommendations for future dissemination are proposed, including ways VA administration can facilitate this process...
- Older patient perspectives on long-term anxiolytic benzodiazepine use and discontinuation: a qualitative studyJoan M Cook
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 69, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:1094-100. 2007....
- Re-envisioning the training and practice of clinical psychologists: preserving science and research orientations in the face of changeJoan M Cook
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine Philadelphia VA Medical Center, USA
J Clin Psychol 61:1191-6. 2005..quot; Deficiencies are noted in the training of scientist-practitioner psychologists for the conduct of clinical trials and the dissemination and sustained implementation of evidence-based interventions...
- Organizational measurement and the implementation of innovations in mental health servicesJohn Kimberly
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 35:11-20. 2008..Challenges and opportunities for researchers in measuring key organizational constructs related to implementation in mental health settings are discussed...
- Dissemination of empirically-supported psychotherapiesJoan Cook; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..