Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Yale University
- Sex steroid hormone metabolism takes place in human ocular cellsMiguel Coca-Prados
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University School of Medicine, 330 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 86:207-16. 2003....
- New perspectives in aqueous humor secretion and in glaucoma: the ciliary body as a multifunctional neuroendocrine glandMiguel Coca-Prados
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Prog Retin Eye Res 26:239-62. 2007..We also discuss how glaucoma-associated genes expressed in the ciliary body and their mutant proteins could influence intraocular pressure, contributing to the development of glaucoma...
- Retinoid processing proteins in the ocular ciliary epitheliumMercedes Salvador-Silva
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Mol Vis 11:356-65. 2005....
- The bovine iris-ciliary epithelium expresses components of rod phototransductionSikha Ghosh
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University School of Medicine, 330 Cedar St, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Neurosci Lett 370:7-12. 2004..The data also supported the view that components associated with non-visual phototransduction are expressed in extraretinal sites including the ciliary epithelium and the iris...
- Interaction of myocilin with the C-terminal region of hevinYanxia Li
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 339:797-804. 2006..Overall, these results suggested that the C-t of hevin contains important determinants for interaction with myocilin...
- Somatostatin modulates PI3K-Akt, eNOS and NHE activity in the ciliary epitheliumSikha Ghosh
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 253:63-75. 2006..Collectively, these results suggested involvement of SST in multiple intracellular signaling pathways in the CE...
- Differential regulation of gene expression of neurotensin and prohormone convertases PC1 and PC2 in the bovine ocular ciliary epithelium: possible implications on neurotensin processingJavier Ortego
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, 330 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Neurosci Lett 333:49-53. 2002..PC1 and PC2 mRNA expression was induced in a cell-specific manner by the same agents that enhanced pro-NT/NN biosynthesis. These results demonstrate cell-specific processing of pro-NT/NN by the ciliary epithelium...
- Inhibition of NHE-1 Na+/H+ exchanger by natriuretic peptides in ocular nonpigmented ciliary epitheliumPawel Fidzinski
Dept of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 287:C655-63. 2004..The mechanism by which the inhibitory effect of NPs on NHE-1 activity might influence the net solute movement or fluid transport by the bilayer CE remains to be determined...
- Role of MYOC and OPTN sequence variations in Spanish patients with primary open-angle glaucomaFrancisco Lopez-Martinez
Servicio de Oftalmologia, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Albacete Hospital Perpetuo Socorro, Albacete, Spain
Mol Vis 13:862-72. 2007..To retrospectively investigate the contribution of myocilin (MYOC) and optineurin (OPTN) sequence variations to adult-onset ocular hypertension (OHT) and primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG) in Spanish patients...
- The cross-species A3 adenosine-receptor antagonist MRS 1292 inhibits adenosine-triggered human nonpigmented ciliary epithelial cell fluid release and reduces mouse intraocular pressureHui Yang
Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6085, USA
Curr Eye Res 30:747-54. 2005..We tested whether the specific A3AR antagonist MRS 1292, designed to cross species, mimicks the effects of other A3AR antagonists on cultured human nonpigmented ciliary epithelial (NPE) cells and mouse IOP...
- Bioinformatics and reanalysis of subtracted expressed sequence tags from the human ciliary body: Identification of novel biological functionsJulio Escribano
Area de Genetica, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, Albacete, Spain
Mol Vis 8:315-32. 2002..The DNA sequences of these clones have been recently added to the web site of NEIBank...
- Myocilin mutations causing glaucoma inhibit the intracellular endoproteolytic cleavage of myocilin between amino acids Arg226 and Ile227J Daniel Aroca-Aguilar
Area de Genetica, Facultad de Medicina Centro Regional de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, Avda de Almansa sn, 02006 Albacete, Spain
J Biol Chem 280:21043-51. 2005..We propose that the endoproteolytic processing might regulate the activity of myocilin and that the inhibition of the processing by pathogenic mutations impairs the normal role of myocilin...
- Identification of target genes regulated by FOXC1 using nickel agarose-based chromatin enrichmentYahya Tamimi
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:3904-13. 2004..Based on the affinity of (His)-6-tagged proteins for the nickel ion, this modified form of ChIP allows the isolation of chromatin in the absence of specific antibodies...
- CRALBP transcriptional regulation in ciliary epithelial, retinal Müller and retinal pigment epithelial cellsBreandan N Kennedy
Exp Eye Res 76:257-60. 2003..Results in RPE cells refine the location of an RLBP1 enhancer element to within -1826 to -1749 bp and a repressor element to within -702 to -635 bp...
- Characterization of the intracellular proteolytic cleavage of myocilin and identification of calpain II as a myocilin-processing proteaseFrancisco Sanchez-Sanchez
Area de Genetica, Facultad de Medicina Centro Regional de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, Avda de Almansa, No 14, 02006 Albacete, Spain
J Biol Chem 282:27810-24. 2007..We propose that this cleavage might regulate extracellular interactions of myocilin, contributing to the control of intraocular pressure...
- Adult-onset primary open-angle glaucoma caused by mutations in optineurinTayebeh Rezaie
Molecular Ophthalmic Genetics Laboratory, Surgical Research Center, Department of Surgery, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Science 295:1077-9. 2002..Optineurin is expressed in trabecular meshwork, nonpigmented ciliary epithelium, retina, and brain, and we speculate that it plays a neuroprotective role...
- Heterozygous CYP1B1 gene mutations in Spanish patients with primary open-angle glaucomaMaría Pilar López-Garrido
Area de Genetica, Facultad de Medicina Centro Regional de Investigaciones Biomedicas CRIB, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Albacete, Albacete, Spain
Mol Vis 12:748-55. 2006..To investigate CYP1B1 gene mutations in Spanish patients with ocular hypertension (OHT) or primary open angle glaucoma (POAG)...
- Molecular analysis of neurolysin expression in the rat and bovine ciliary bodyRubens Bertazolli-Filho
Departamento de Biologia Celular e Molecular e Bioagentes Patogêcos, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirão Preto USP, 14049 900 Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Curr Eye Res 32:751-6. 2007..This paper deals with the capability of the ciliary epithelium to express neurolysin, involved in the inactivation of numerous neuropeptides...
- Selective upregulation of the A3 adenosine receptor in eyes with pseudoexfoliation syndrome and glaucomaUrsula Schlötzer-Schrehardt
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:2023-34. 2005..In the current study, the role of the adenosine system in the pathophysiology of pseudoexfoliation (PEX) syndrome, which is typically associated with anterior chamber hypoxia and elevated intraocular pressure, was examined...
- Hyposmotic activation of ICl,swell in rabbit nonpigmented ciliary epithelial cells involves increased ClC-3 trafficking to the plasma membraneJohn P Vessey
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS B3H 4H7, Canada
Biochem Cell Biol 82:708-18. 2004..These findings suggest that ClC-3 channels contribute to I(Cl,swell) following hyposmotic stimulation through increased trafficking of channels to the plasma membrane...
- A3 adenosine and CB1 receptors activate a PKC-sensitive Cl- current in human nonpigmented ciliary epithelial cells via a G beta gamma-coupled MAPK signaling pathwayChanjuan Shi
Laboratory for Retina and Optic Nerve Research, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3H 4H7
Br J Pharmacol 139:475-86. 2003..8) We conclude that both A3 and CB1 receptors activate a PKC-sensitive Cl(-) current in human NPCE cells via a G(i/o)/Gbetagamma signaling pathway, in a manner independent of PI3K but involving MAPK...
- Production, purification, and functional analysis of recombinant human and mouse 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 7Svea Törn
Biocenter Oulu and Research Center for Molecular Endocrinology, POB 5000, FIN 90014, University of Oulu, Finland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 305:37-45. 2003..Based on the enzymatic characteristics and tissue distribution, we conclude that h17HSD7 might be an intracrine regulator of steroid metabolism, fortifying the estrogenic milieu in peripheral tissues...
- Serum- and glucocorticoid-regulated kinase isoform-1 and epithelial sodium channel subunits in human ocular ciliary epitheliumSaaeha Rauz
Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, Division of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:1643-51. 2003..Sodium transport across the human ocular nonpigmented and pigmented ciliary epithelial bilayer (NPE-PE) is essential for aqueous humor production, but the expression of SGK1 and ENaC subunits remain to be defined...
- Protein tyrosine kinase and protein phosphatase signaling pathways regulate volume-sensitive chloride currents in a nonpigmented ciliary epithelial cell lineChanjuan Shi
Laboratory for Retina and Optic Nerve Research, Department of Pharmacology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4H7, Canada
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:1525-32. 2002..To investigate whether signaling pathways that incorporate protein tyrosine kinases and phosphatases regulate PKC-sensitive, volume-sensitive Cl(-) currents (I(Cl,vol)) in cultured rabbit nonpigmented ciliary epithelial cells...
- Expression and purification of functional recombinant human pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) secreted by the yeast Pichia pastorisFrancisco Sanchez-Sanchez
Area de Genetica, Facultad de Medicina Centro Regional de Investigaciones Biomedicas CRIB, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, C Almansa 14, 02006 Albacete, Spain
J Biotechnol 134:193-201. 2008..These polypeptides can be used to investigate the therapeutic role of PEDF in cancer, neurodegenerative and ocular diseases, and stem cell-based therapies...
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF C1 CHANNEL GENES IN CILIARY BODIESMiguel Coca Prados; Fiscal Year: 2001..4) To determine the organization of the human pICln and ClC-3 genes at their 5' flanking region. The goal in these studies will be to obtain information from genomic clones of the putative regulatory elements present in these genes. ..
- DIFFERENTIAL GENE EXPRESSION IN CILIARY EPITHELIUMMiguel Coca Prados; Fiscal Year: 2005..To determine any light-sensing responses in intact and cultured ciliary epithelial cells, by studying the cGMP-gated channel under light and dark conditions. ..