Jason Q Purnell
Affiliation: Washington University School of Medicine
- Cancer control needs of 2-1-1 callers in Missouri, North Carolina, Texas, and WashingtonJason Q Purnell
Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 23:752-67. 2012..Needs were greater for 2-1-1 callers than for state and national rates, and callers were receptive to referrals. 2-1-1 could be a key partner in efforts to reduce cancer disparities...
- Perceived discrimination, psychological distress, and current smoking status: results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Reactions to Race module, 2004-2008Jason Q Purnell
George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington University, St Louis, MO, USA
Am J Public Health 102:844-51. 2012..We examined the association between perceived discrimination and smoking status and whether psychological distress mediated this relationship in a large, multiethnic sample...
- Social and cultural factors are related to perceived colorectal cancer screening benefits and intentions in African AmericansJason Q Purnell
Health Communication Research Laboratory, Washington University in St Louis, 700 Rosedale Ave, Campus Box 1009, St Louis, MO 63112 1408, USA
J Behav Med 33:24-34. 2010..These results suggest that it may be beneficial to include these social and cultural factors in behavioral interventions to increase CRC screening among African Americans...
- Racial disparities in traumatic stress in prostate cancer patients: secondary analysis of a National URCC CCOP Study of 317 menJason Q Purnell
Washington University in St Louis, Health Communication Research Laboratory, 700 Rosedale Ave, Campus Box 1009, St Louis, MO 63112, USA
Support Care Cancer 19:899-907. 2011..African American men have the highest rates of prostate cancer of any racial group, but very little is known about the psychological functioning of African American men in response to prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment...
- Healthcare navigation service in 2-1-1 San Diego: guiding individuals to the care they needJessica T Rodgers
Health Communication Research Laboratory, Brown School, Washington University in St Louis, Missouri 63130, USA
Am J Prev Med 43:S450-6. 2012..In San Diego County, California, many individuals are unaware that they are eligible for assistance, and community-based healthcare providers often do not have a single, reliable point of access for information on available programs...
- Use of cancer control referrals by 2-1-1 callers: a randomized trialMatthew W Kreuter
Health Communication Research Laboratory, Brown School, Washington University in St Louis, Missouri 63112 1408, USA
Am J Prev Med 43:S425-34. 2012..Callers to 2-1-1 have greater need for and lesser use of cancer control services than other Americans. Integrating cancer risk assessment and referrals to preventive services into 2-1-1 systems is both feasible and acceptable to callers...
- Subjective religiosity, church attendance, and depression in the National Survey of American LifeDarrell L Hudson
George Warren Brown School of Social Work and Institute for Public Health, Washington University in St Louis, One Brookings Drive Campus, Box 1196, Saint Louis, MO, 63130, USA
J Relig Health 54:584-97. 2015..More research is needed to examine whether there are other factors that could protect against the development of depression...
- Behavioral economics: "nudging" underserved populations to be screened for cancerJason Q Purnell
The Brown School, Washington University in St Louis, One Brookings Drive, Campus Box 1196, St Louis, MO 63130 E mail
Prev Chronic Dis 12:E06. 2015..We conclude by noting gaps in knowledge and propose future research questions to guide this promising area of research and practice. ..