V Ann Stewart
Affiliation: Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Plasmodium vivax under the microscope: the Aotus modelV Ann Stewart
Department of Immunology, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Trends Parasitol 19:589-94. 2003
- Adenovirus 5 and 35 vectors expressing Plasmodium falciparum circumsporozoite surface protein elicit potent antigen-specific cellular IFN-gamma and antibody responses in miceJoseph P Shott
Division of Malaria Vaccine Development, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Vaccine 26:2818-23. 2008..Here we report that Ad5.CS, Ad35.CS, and RTS,S/AS01B, elicited both cellular and serologic CSP antigen-specific responses in mice. These adenoviral vectors induce strong malaria-specific immunity and warrant further evaluation...
- Priming with an adenovirus 35-circumsporozoite protein (CS) vaccine followed by RTS,S/AS01B boosting significantly improves immunogenicity to Plasmodium falciparum CS compared to that with either malaria vaccine aloneV Ann Stewart
Division of Malaria Vaccine Development, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD, USA
Infect Immun 75:2283-90. 2007..The increased T-cell responses induced by the combination of Ad35.CS and RTS,S/AS01B are sustained for at least 6 months postvaccination and may translate to improved and more durable protection against P. falciparum infection in humans...
- Cutaneous delayed-type hypersensitivity (DTH) in a multi-formulation comparator trial of the anti-falciparum malaria vaccine candidate RTS,S in rhesus macaquesV Ann Stewart
Department of Immunology, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Vaccine 24:6493-502. 2006..To supplement in vitro immunogenicity assays, cutaneous delayed-type hypersensitivity (DTH) may be a useful indicator of functional, cell-mediated immunogenicity...
- Pre-clinical evaluation of new adjuvant formulations to improve the immunogenicity of the malaria vaccine RTS,S/AS02AV Ann Stewart
Department of Immunology, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910, USA
Vaccine 24:6483-92. 2006..Pre-clinical studies are on-going to identify new RTS,S formulations with improved magnitude and duration of specific immunity...
- Recombinant Liver Stage Antigen-1 (LSA-1) formulated with AS01 or AS02 is safe, elicits high titer antibody and induces IFN-gamma/IL-2 CD4+ T cells but does not protect against experimental Plasmodium falciparum infectionJames F Cummings
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Vaccine 28:5135-44. 2010....
- Phase 1/2a study of the malaria vaccine candidate apical membrane antigen-1 (AMA-1) administered in adjuvant system AS01B or AS02AMichele D Spring
United States Military Malaria Vaccine Program, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e5254. 2009....
- Phase I dose escalation safety and immunogenicity trial of Plasmodium falciparum apical membrane protein (AMA-1) FMP2.1, adjuvanted with AS02A, in malaria-naïve adults at the Walter Reed Army Institute of ResearchMark E Polhemus
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD, United States
Vaccine 25:4203-12. 2007..1/AS02A in an endemic population in the Republic of Mali...
- Randomized, double-blind, phase 2a trial of falciparum malaria vaccines RTS,S/AS01B and RTS,S/AS02A in malaria-naive adults: safety, efficacy, and immunologic associates of protectionKent E Kester
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, 503 Robert Grant Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
J Infect Dis 200:337-46. 2009..To further increase the efficacy of malaria vaccine RTS,S/AS02A, we tested the RTS,S antigen formulated using the AS01B Adjuvant System (GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals)...
- Towards an RTS,S-based, multi-stage, multi-antigen vaccine against falciparum malaria: progress at the Walter Reed Army Institute of ResearchD Gray Heppner
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Department of Immunology, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Vaccine 23:2243-50. 2005..Recent safety, immunogenicity, and efficacy trials in the US and Africa are presented, as well as plans for the development of a multi-antigen vaccine...
- Characterization of a human reference standard for antibody to Plasmodium falciparum merozoite surface protein 1(42)In Kyu Yoon
Division of Communicable Diseases and Immunology, Department of Immunology, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:714-8. 2005..3 microg/mL of MSP-1(42) antibody. This reference standard may be useful as a quantitative working standard for measuring MSP-1(42) antibody response in future vaccine clinical trials involving MSP-1...
- Activation of innate immunity in healthy Macaca mulatta macaques by a single subcutaneous dose of GMP CpG 7909: safety data and interferon-inducible protein-10 kinetics for humans and macaquesV Ann Stewart
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:221-6. 2008....
- Heterologous prime-boost immunization in rhesus macaques by two, optimally spaced particle-mediated epidermal deliveries of Plasmodium falciparum circumsporozoite protein-encoding DNA, followed by intramuscular RTS,S/AS02ADouglas S Walsh
Department of Immunology and Medicine, US Army Medical Component, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences AFRIMS, Bangkok, Thailand
Vaccine 24:4167-78. 2006..In field studies, RTS,S/AS02A reduced malaria infection, clinical episodes, and disease severity. Heterologous prime-boost immunization regimens, optimally spaced, might improve the protective immunity of RTS,S/AS02A...
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for detection of Plasmodium falciparum histidine-rich protein 2 in blood, plasma, and serumCarolyne M Kifude
Walter Reed Project Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kisumu, Kenya
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:1012-8. 2008..We conclude that PfHRP2 ELISA using whole-blood and serum samples is a suitable adjunct to microscopy and could ultimately benefit malaria intervention trials...
- Safety and immunogenicity of an AMA-1 malaria vaccine in Malian adults: results of a phase 1 randomized controlled trialMahamadou A Thera
Malaria Research and Training Center, University of Bamako, Bamako, Mali
PLoS ONE 3:e1465. 2008..The objective was to evaluate the safety, reactogenicity and immunogenicity of the AMA-1-based blood-stage malaria vaccine FMP2.1/AS02A in adults exposed to seasonal malaria...
- Malaria blood stage parasites activate human plasmacytoid dendritic cells and murine dendritic cells through a Toll-like receptor 9-dependent pathwaySathit Pichyangkul
Department of Immunology and Medicine, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand
J Immunol 172:4926-33. 2004....
- Phase 1 randomized double-blind safety and immunogenicity trial of Plasmodium falciparum malaria merozoite surface protein FMP1 vaccine, adjuvanted with AS02A, in adults in western KenyaJose A Stoute
US Army Medical Research Unit and the Kenya Medical Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya
Vaccine 25:176-84. 2007..16; P<0.001) and the Day 90 responses to MSP-1(42) (F1,335=16.69; P<0.001). The FMP1/AS02A vaccine is safe and immunogenic in adults and should progress to safety testing in children at greatest risk of malaria...
- Improved T cell responses to Plasmodium falciparum circumsporozoite protein in mice and monkeys induced by a novel formulation of RTS,S vaccine antigenPascal Mettens
GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Rixensart, Belgium
Vaccine 26:1072-82. 2008..Our data provides clear evidence that combining RTS,S antigen with a potent adjuvant induces strong humoral and cellular responses in vivo...
- Status of malaria vaccine R&D in 2007. Malaria Vaccines for the World 2007, September 17-19th, 2007, London, UKDenise L Doolan
The Queensland Institute of Medical Research, The Bancroft Centre, 300 Herston Road, PO Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane QLD 4029, Australia
Expert Rev Vaccines 6:903-5. 2007