P B Mellen
Affiliation: Wake Forest University School of Medicine
- Whole grain intake and cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysisPhilip B Mellen
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of General Medicine, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:283-90. 2008..This study sought to quantitate the available observational evidence on whole grain intake and clinical cardiovascular events...
- Post-challenge glucose predicts coronary atherosclerotic progression in non-diabetic, post-menopausal womenP B Mellen
Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Diabet Med 24:1156-9. 2007..We sought to determine whether fasting or post-challenge glucose were associated with progression of coronary atherosclerosis in non-diabetic women...
- Serum uric acid predicts incident hypertension in a biethnic cohort: the atherosclerosis risk in communities studyPhilip B Mellen
Section of General Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Public Health Sciences, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Hypertension 48:1037-42. 2006..More research is warranted concerning the physiological and clinical consequences of hyperuricemia, especially in blacks...
- Whole-grain intake and carotid artery atherosclerosis in a multiethnic cohort: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis StudyPhilip B Mellen
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of General Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1495-502. 2007..Whole-grain intake has been shown to be inversely associated with cardiovascular events, but an association with atherosclerosis is less well established...
- Effect of muscadine grape seed supplementation on vascular function in subjects with or at risk for cardiovascular disease: a randomized crossover trialPhilip B Mellen
Hypertension Center of Excellence, Hattiesburg Clinic, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 29:469-75. 2010..Muscadine grape seeds have high concentrations of polyphenolic compounds with antioxidant and other properties that would be expected to have favorable effects on endothelial function...
- Diabetes, the metabolic syndrome, and angiographic progression of coronary arterial disease in postmenopausal womenPhilip B Mellen
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:189-93. 2006..We sought to determine whether the MS predicts angiographic progression of coronary heart disease in a cohort of postmenopausal women...
- Prevalence of nutrition and exercise counseling for patients with hypertension. United States, 1999 to 2000Philip B Mellen
Section of General Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
J Gen Intern Med 19:917-24. 2004..To evaluate the prevalence of nutrition and exercise counseling for patients with hypertension...
- Pharmacogenomics of blood pressure response to antihypertensive treatmentPhilip B Mellen
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Hypertens 23:1311-25. 2005..With the advent of new technologies and genomic knowledge, more investigators are seeking to identify genetic determinants of blood pressure response to therapy...
- Deteriorating dietary habits among adults with hypertension: DASH dietary accordance, NHANES 1988-1994 and 1999-2004Philip B Mellen
Hypertension Center of the Hattiesburg Clinic, 5909 US Hwy 49, Ste 30, Hattiesburg, MS 39402, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:308-14. 2008..Although the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension trial) diet is among the therapeutic lifestyle changes recommended for individuals with hypertension (HTN), accordance with the DASH diet is not known...
- Nonpharmacological treatment of hypertension: impact on prevalence estimatesPhilip B Mellen
Hypertension 50:e1; author reply e2. 2007