Shawn O Utsey
Affiliation: Virginia Commonwealth University
- A confirmatory test of the underlying factor structure of scores on the collective self-esteem scale in two independent samples of Black AmericansShawn O Utsey
Department of Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, 800 West Franklin Street 105, Box 842018, Richmond, VA 23284, USA
J Pers Assess 86:172-9. 2006..Furthermore, an exploratory CFA procedure failed to find a CSES factor structure that could be replicated across the 2 samples of Black Americans. We present and discuss implications of the findings...
- Moderator effects of cognitive ability and social support on the relation between race-related stress and quality of life in a community sample of black AmericansShawn O Utsey
Department of Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23284, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 12:334-46. 2006..The paper concludes by discussing the study's findings, limitations, and by offering recommendations for future research related to this area of inquiry...
- Heart rate variability as a physiological moderator of the relationship between race-related stress and psychological distress in African AmericansShawn O Utsey
Department of Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 13:250-3. 2007..These findings suggest that higher levels of resting heart rate variability may buffer African Americans from the deleterious effects of race-related stress...
- A re-examination of cultural factors that mitigate risk and promote resilience in relation to African American suicide: a review of the literature and recommendations for future researchShawn O Utsey
Department of Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Box 842018, 800 W Franklin Street, Richmond, VA 23284, USA
Death Stud 31:399-416. 2007..Finally, they discuss the limitations of the extant research on African American suicide, set an agenda for future research, and discuss its implications for clinical practice and public policy...
- Do sociocultural factors predict suicidality among persons of African descent living in the U.S.?Rheeda L Walker
Department of Psychology, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Arch Suicide Res 9:203-17. 2005....
- Cultural perceptions in cancer care among African-American and Caucasian patientsRobin K Matsuyama
Social and Behavioral Health, Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0149, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 99:1113-8. 2007..This exploratory study examined perceptions and beliefs of African Americans and Caucasians related to cancer care. Understanding belief systems and cultures optimizes cancer treatment and care delivery to ethnic minority individuals...
- White public regard: associations among eating disorder symptomatology, guilt, and White guilt in young adult womenJanet A Lydecker
Department of Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, P O Box 842018, Richmond, VA, United States Electronic address
Eat Behav 15:76-82. 2014..As a novel investigation of the role of White racial identity, the current study explored the link between White guilt and disordered eating...
- Cultural humility: measuring openness to culturally diverse clientsJoshua N Hook
Department of Psychology, University of North Texas, Denton, TX 76210, USA
J Couns Psychol 60:353-66. 2013..We consider implications for research, practice, and training...
- Religiosity, refusal efficacy, and substance use among African-American adolescents and young adultsAashir Nasim
Department of Psychology, James Madison University, MSC 7401, Harrisonburg, VA 22807, USA
J Ethn Subst Abuse 5:29-49. 2006..Future research should consider examining other psychosocial domains which may mediate the effect of religiosity on substance use behaviors among African-American adolescents...
- Effect of ethnic group membership on ethnic identity, race-related stress, and quality of lifeShawn O Utsey
School of Education, Department of Human Development and Psychoeducational Studies, Howard University, 2441 Fourth Street, NW, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 8:366-77. 2002..A stepwise multiple regression analysis revealed that ethnic identity and cultural racism were significant predictors of QOL and accounted for 16% of the total variance for the entire sample...
- Race-related stress, quality of life indicators, and life satisfaction among elderly African AmericansShawn O Utsey
Department of Human Development and Psychoeducational Studies, Howard University, 2441 Fourth Street, NW, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 8:224-33. 2002..In addition, the authors found that institutional racism-related stress was a significant predictor of psychological health in this sample of elderly African Americans...
- Self-concealment, social self-efficacy, acculturative stress, and depression in African, Asian, and Latin American international college studentsMadonna G Constantine
Department of Counseling and Clinical Psychology, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 74:230-41. 2004..Implications of the findings are discussed...