Jonathan P Wanderer
Affiliation: Vanderbilt University
- Clinical decision support for perioperative information management systemsJonathan P Wanderer
1Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 17:288-93. 2013..Ultimately, we expect that CDS will remain an important tool in our efforts to optimize the quality of care delivered. ..
- Clinical Data Visualization: The Current State and Future NeedsJonathan P Wanderer
Vanderbilt University, 1301 Medical Center Drive, The Vanderbilt Clinic, Suite 4648, Nashville, TN, 37232, USA
J Med Syst 40:275. 2016..To do so we summarize best practices in design and evaluation while proposing usability testing methodology. We then review and illustrate the goals of various clinical data visualization techniques...
- Decision support using anesthesia information management system records and accreditation council for graduate medical education case logs for resident operating room assignmentsJonathan P Wanderer
Department of Anesthesiology, 1301 Medical Center Drive, Suite 4648, The Vanderbilt Clinic, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Anesth Analg 117:494-9. 2013..We conclude that it is feasible to use ACGME case-log data in decision support systems for informing resident OR assignments. Additional analysis will be necessary to assess the educational impact of these systems. ..
- Epidemiology of obstetric-related ICU admissions in Maryland: 1999-2008*Jonathan P Wanderer
Department of Anesthesia, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
Crit Care Med 41:1844-52. 2013..To define the prevalence, indications, and temporal trends in obstetric-related ICU admissions...
- Comparing two anesthesia information management system user interfaces: a usability evaluationJonathan P Wanderer
Vanderbilt University, 1301 Medical Center Drive, TVC 4648, Nashville, TN, 37212, USA
Can J Anaesth 59:1023-31. 2012..We hypothesized that the revised user interface would be more useable...
- Balanced Crystalloids versus Saline in the Intensive Care Unit: The SALT Randomized TrialMatthew W Semler
Vanderbilt University, Department of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Am J Respir Crit Care Med . 2016..Saline is the intravenous fluid most commonly administered to critically ill adults, but may be associated with acute kidney injury and death. Whether use of balanced crystalloids rather than saline affects patient outcomes remains unknown...
- Validation of a risk stratification index and risk quantification index for predicting patient outcomes: in-hospital mortality, 30-day mortality, 1-year mortality, and length-of-stayMatthew J G Sigakis
Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Anesthesiology 119:525-40. 2013..This study evaluates the performance of the Risk Stratification Indices (RSIs) and 30-day mortality Risk Quantification Index (RQI)...
- A perioperative consult service results in reduction in cost and length of stay for colorectal surgical patients: evidence from a healthcare redesign projectMatthew D McEvoy
Department of Anesthesiology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Hospital, Nashville, TN 37232 USA
Perioper Med (Lond) 5:3. 2016..In a test implementation of this notion, we developed and implemented a perioperative consult service (PCS) for colorectal surgery patients...
- A Perioperative Systems Design to Improve Intraoperative Glucose Monitoring Is Associated with a Reduction in Surgical Site Infections in a Diabetic Patient PopulationJesse M Ehrenfeld
From the Departments of Anesthesiology, Surgery, Biomedical Informatics, Health Policy, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee J M E Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Vanderbilt University Hospital, Nashville, Tennessee J M E Departments of Anesthesiology and Biomedical Informatics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee J P W and Department of Anesthesiology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee M T, B S R, W S S
Anesthesiology . 2017..Diabetic patients receiving insulin should have periodic intraoperative glucose measurement. The authors conducted a care redesign effort to improve intraoperative glucose monitoring...
- Automated Case Cancellation Review System Improves Systems-Based PracticeJoseph R Starnes
Department of Anesthesiology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center VUMC, 1301 Medical Center Dr, Nashville, TN, 37232, USA
J Med Syst 39:134. 2015..Reviewing day-of-surgery cancellations could provide resident learning opportunities in these areas...
- Temporal trends and current practice patterns for intraoperative ventilation at U.S. academic medical centers: a retrospective studyJonathan P Wanderer
Departments of Anesthesiology and Biomedical Informatics, Vanderbilt University, The Vanderbilt Clinic, 1301 Medical Center Drive, Suite 4648, Nashville, TN USA
BMC Anesthesiol 15:40. 2015..We hypothesized that ventilation strategies have changed over time, that most anesthetics in U.S. academic medical centers are currently performed with lower tidal volumes, and that most receive PEEP...
- Identification of Major Adverse Kidney Events Within the Electronic Health RecordMatthew W Semler
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1161 21st Ave S, T 2220 MCN, Nashville, TN, 37232 2650, USA
J Med Syst 40:167. 2016..In summary, accurately identifying the MAKE30 composite outcome using EHR data collected as a part of routine care appears feasible. ..
- Intraoperative Care Transitions Are Not Associated with Postoperative Adverse OutcomesMaxim A Terekhov
From the Vanderbilt Departments of Anesthesiology M A T, J M E, J P W, Biomedical Informatics J M E, J P W, Surgery J M E, O D G, and Health Policy J M E, Nashville, Tennessee Anesthesia Quality Institute, Schaumburg, Illinois R P D and Quality, Safety and Risk Prevention, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee B J M
Anesthesiology 125:690-9. 2016..Whether anesthesia care transitions and provision of short breaks affect patient outcomes remains unclear...
- A hand hygiene compliance check system: brief communication on a system to improve hand hygiene compliance in hospitals and reduce infectionTracey S Hong
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 37232, USA
J Med Syst 39:69. 2015..Considering these barriers, we created a prototype system that includes compliance rate tracking, real-time sanitization reminders, and a data archive for future studies. ..
- Intraoperative protective mechanical ventilation and risk of postoperative respiratory complications: hospital based registry studyKarim Ladha
Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care, Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
BMJ 351:h3646. 2015....
- Limiting the accessibility of cost-prohibitive drugs reduces overall anesthetic drug costs: a retrospective before and after analysisAriana K Tabing
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, 2215 Garland Ave, Nashville, TN, 37232, USA
Can J Anaesth 62:1045-54. 2015..Remifentanil, dexmedetomidine, and desflurane are costly agents that often have suitable alternatives to their use. We sought to identify changes in cost and outcomes following interventions that limited the availability of these drugs...
- Metadata from data: identifying holidays from anesthesia dataJoseph R Starnes
Department of Anesthesiology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1301 Medical Center Dr, Nashville, TN, 37232, USA
J Med Syst 39:44. 2015..This data can then be used for economic analysis and scheduling purposes. It is possible that the method can be expanded to similar bimodal and multimodal variables...
- Supervising anesthesiologists cannot be effectively compared according to their patients' postanesthesia care unit admission pain scoresJonathan P Wanderer
From the Department of Anesthesiology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee and Department of Anesthesiology, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Anesth Analg 120:923-32. 2015....
- Development and validation of an intraoperative predictive model for unplanned postoperative intensive careJonathan P Wanderer
Department of Anesthesiology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37212, USA
Anesthesiology 119:516-24. 2013..The goal of this study was to develop and validate an intraoperative predictive model for unplanned postoperative ICU use...