Affiliation: US Oncology
- Randomized, open-label, phase II trial of oral capecitabine (Xeloda) vs. a reference arm of intravenous CMF (cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and 5-fluorouracil) as first-line therapy for advanced/metastatic breast cancerJ A Oshaughnessy
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, US Oncology, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Ann Oncol 12:1247-54. 2001..Oral capecitabine was evaluated in terms of overall response rate, safety, and tolerability as first-line therapy in women aged > or = 55 years with advanced/metastatic breast cancer...
- A decade of letrozole: FACEJoyce O'Shaughnessy
Texas Oncology, P A, Baylor Sammons Cancer Center and US Oncology, 3535 Worth Street, Ste 500, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 105:67-74. 2007..The FACE trial will determine whether or not letrozole offers a greater clinical benefit to postmenopausal women with HR+ early breast cancer at increased risk of early recurrence compared with anastrozole...
- Phase II trial of weekly docetaxel/ gemcitabine as first-line chemotherapy in patients with locally recurrent or metastatic breast cancerJoyce A O'Shaughnessy
US Oncology, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 6:505-10. 2006..A phase II study evaluated weekly docetaxel/gemcitabine as first-line chemotherapy for locally recurrent or metastatic breast cancer in a multicenter community oncology practice setting...
- Extending survival with chemotherapy in metastatic breast cancerJoyce O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, 3535 Worth St, Collins 5, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Oncologist 10:20-9. 2005..The role of the taxanes, antimetabolites, and biologics in extending survival in MBC is discussed...
- Phase II study of pemetrexed in patients pretreated with an anthracycline, a taxane, and capecitabine for advanced breast cancerJoyce A O'Shaughnessy
Texas Oncology, PA, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 6:143-9. 2005..This phase II study evaluated the efficacy, safety, and health outcomes of pemetrexed treatment in heavily pretreated patients with advanced breast cancer...
- Feasibility of quantifying the effects of epoetin alfa therapy on cognitive function in women with breast cancer undergoing adjuvant or neoadjuvant chemotherapyJoyce A O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Charles A Sammons Cancer Center, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 5:439-46. 2005..Epoetin alfa therapy was well tolerated. These data suggest that epoetin alfa may have attenuated the cognitive impairment and fatigue that occurred during adjuvant breast cancer chemotherapy...
- Phase II study of trastuzumab plus gemcitabine in chemotherapy-pretreated patients with metastatic breast cancerJoyce A O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Charles A Sammons Cancer Center, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 5:142-7. 2004..The combination of trastuzumab plus gemcitabine appears to be well tolerated and effective for patients with HER2-positive MBC previously treated with chemotherapy...
- Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in the treatment of breast cancerJoyce A O'Shaughnessy
Charles A Sammons Cancer Center, US Oncology, Baylor University Medical Center, Collins Building, 3535 Worth Street, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 4:318-28. 2003..Owing to its comparable efficacy and favorable safety profile, pegylated liposomal doxorubicin may be a useful alternative to conventional doxorubicin, as well as other agents commonly used in the treatment of breast cancer...
- Chemotherapy-induced cognitive dysfunction: a clearer pictureJoyce A O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, US Oncology, 3535 Worth Street, Collins Building 5th Floor, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 4:S89-94. 2003..Ongoing and future studies will determine whether epoetin alfa can provide neuroprotection with respect to the development of cognitive dysfunction in patients undergoing adjuvant chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer...
- Ductal lavage: clinical utility and future promiseJoyce A O'Shaughnessy
Breast Cancer Research, Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, US Oncology, 3535 Worth Street, Collins 5, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Surg Clin North Am 83:753-69, vii. 2003..Aspects discussed include the rationale for use of ductal lavage, identification of appropriate candidates for the procedure, clinical implications, ongoing evaluation of the procedure, and its future utility...
- The evolving role of capecitabine in breast cancerJoyce A O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Charles A Sammons Cancer Center, US Oncology, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 4:S20-5. 2003..This article is an overview of published studies of capecitabine in MBC and the studies that are planned or have been proposed to evaluate capecitabine as adjuvant therapy for breast cancer...
- Effects of epoetin alfa on cognitive function, mood, asthenia, and quality of life in women with breast cancer undergoing adjuvant chemotherapyJoyce A O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, US Oncology, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 3:S116-20. 2002..We report here the preliminary results of this pilot clinical trial...
- Treatment for anthracycline-pretreated metastatic breast cancerJoyce O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center and US Oncology, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Oncologist 7:4-12. 2002....
- Capecitabine and docetaxel in advanced breast cancer: analyses of a phase III comparative trialJoyce O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, US Oncology Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 16:17-22. 2002....
- Phase II trial of gemcitabine plus trastuzumab in metastatic breast cancer patients previously treated with chemotherapy: preliminary resultsJoyce O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Charles A Sammons Cancer Center, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 3:17-20. 2002..Thus, gemcitabine/ trastuzumab resulted in an encouraging 32% response rate, given the heavily pretreated patient population. Tolerability was good overall, with no unexpected side effects observed...
- Treating breast precancerJ A O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, US Oncology, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 1:S74-9. 2000..Second, clinical trials are needed that would permit rapid evaluation of agents that can reduce breast cancer risk. Results of the few available trials suggest that several agents may effectively reduce the burden of breast precancer...
- Ductal lavage and the clinical management of women at high risk for breast carcinoma: a commentaryJoyce A O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Cancer 94:292-8. 2002
- Superior survival with capecitabine plus docetaxel combination therapy in anthracycline-pretreated patients with advanced breast cancer: phase III trial resultsJoyce O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:2812-23. 2002..This international phase III trial compared efficacy and tolerability of capecitabine/docetaxel therapy with single-agent docetaxel in anthracycline-pretreated patients with MBC...
- Docetaxel With Cyclophosphamide Is Associated With an Overall Survival Benefit Compared With Doxorubicin and Cyclophosphamide: 7-Year Follow-Up of US Oncology Research Trial 9735Stephen Jones
US Oncology Research Inc, Texas Oncology PA, 3535 Worth St, 6th Floor, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:1177-83. 2009..In our trial 16% of patients were > or = 65 years. We now report 7-year results for DFS and overall survival (OS) as well as the impact of age, hormone receptor status, and HER2 status on outcome and toxicity...
- Comparison of menopausal symptoms during the first year of adjuvant therapy with either exemestane or tamoxifen in early breast cancer: report of a Tamoxifen Exemestane Adjuvant Multicenter trial substudyStephen E Jones
US Oncology Research Inc, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:4765-71. 2007..Hormonal breast cancer treatment increases menopausal symptoms in women. This study investigated differences between the symptoms associated with either adjuvant tamoxifen or exemestane...
- Iniparib plus chemotherapy in metastatic triple-negative breast cancerJoyce O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Charles A Sammons Cancer Center, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
N Engl J Med 364:205-14. 2011..Triple-negative breast cancers have inherent defects in DNA repair, making this cancer a rational target for therapy based on poly(adenosine diphosphate-ribose) polymerase (PARP) inhibition...
- Tamoxifen downregulates ets oncogene family members ETV4 and ETV5 in benign breast tissue: implications for durable risk reductionDavid Euhus
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 4:1852-62. 2011..The human equivalent of murine multipotential progenitor cap cells of terminal end buds may be the primary target...
- Patients with Slowly Proliferative Early Breast Cancer Have Low Five-Year Recurrence Rates in a Phase III Adjuvant Trial of CapecitabineJoyce O'Shaughnessy
Texas Oncology Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, US Oncology, Dallas, Texas
Clin Cancer Res 21:4305-11. 2015....
- Nab-paclitaxel for first-line treatment of patients with metastatic breast cancer and poor prognostic factors: a retrospective analysisJoyce O'Shaughnessy
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, Texas Oncology and The US Oncology Network, 3410 Worth Street, Ste 400, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 138:829-37. 2013..In each trial, ORR was significantly higher for nab-paclitaxel versus the comparator taxane among patients with visceral dominant metastases...
- RIBBON-1: randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III trial of chemotherapy with or without bevacizumab for first-line treatment of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-negative, locally recurrent or metastatic breast cancerNicholas J Robert
Virginia Cancer Specialists, US Oncology, Fairfax, VA, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:1252-60. 2011....
- Genomic alterations in DNA repair and chromatin remodeling genes in estrogen receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer patients with exceptional responses to capecitabineMaren K Levin
Baylor Sammons Cancer Center, Texas Oncology, US Oncology, Dallas, Texas
Cancer Med 4:1289-93. 2015..Our findings suggest that mutations that inactivate homologous recombination and/or chromatin remodeling genes within ER-positive, HER2-negative breast cancers may predict for highly durable responses to capecitabine...
- Phase III study of iniparib plus gemcitabine and carboplatin versus gemcitabine and carboplatin in patients with metastatic triple-negative breast cancerJoyce O'Shaughnessy
Joyce O Shaughnessy, Baylor Charles A Sammons Cancer Center, Texas Oncology Joyce O Shaughnessy, US Oncology, Dallas Beth Hellerstedt Texas Oncology Round Rock, Austin, TX Lee Schwartzberg, Accelerated Community Oncology Research Network Lee Schwartzberg, The West Clinic, Memphis Denise A Yardley, Sarah Cannon Research Institute Denise A Yardley, Tennessee Oncology, Nashville, TN Michael A Danso, US Oncology Michael A Danso, Virginia Oncology Associates, Norfolk Nicholas Robert, Virginia Cancer Specialists, Fairfax Paul Richards, Blue Ridge Cancer Care, Salem, VA Kathy D Miller, Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center, Indianapolis, IN Hope S Rugo, University of California, San Francisco Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco Robert W Carlson, Stanford Comprehensive Cancer Center, Palo Alto, CA Richard S Finn, Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles Richard S Finn, Translational Research in Oncology, Los Angeles, CA Marcus Neubauer, Germany
J Clin Oncol 32:3840-7. 2014..Here, we formally compare the efficacy of these regimens in a phase III trial...
- Phase 2 study of eribulin mesylate as first-line therapy for locally recurrent or metastatic human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-negative breast cancerKristi McIntyre
Texas Oncology Dallas Presbyterian Hospital, US Oncology, Dallas, TX, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 146:321-8. 2014..These results demonstrate that eribulin has substantial antitumor activity as first-line treatment for HER2-negative MBC with acceptable safety...
- Eribulin monotherapy in patients aged 70 years and older with metastatic breast cancerHyman Muss
University of North Carolina Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA Vall d Hebron University Hospital and Vall d Hebron Institute of Oncology, Barcelona, Spain Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York, USA Jules Bordet Institute, Brussels, Belgium University of Leeds and St James s Institute of Oncology, Leeds, UK Formerly of Eisai Ltd, Hatfield, UK Eisai Inc, Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, USA NJS Associates Company, Somerset, New Jersey USA Baylor Charles A Sammons Cancer Center, Texas Oncology, and US Oncology, Dallas, Texas, USA
Oncologist 19:318-27. 2014..Following the demonstrated efficacy and safety of eribulin mesylate in heavily pretreated patients with metastatic breast cancer, an exploratory analysis was performed to investigate the effect of age in these patients...