Jack F Youngren
Affiliation: University of California
- Insulin receptor autophosphorylation in cultured myoblasts correlates to glucose disposal in Pima IndiansJ F Youngren
Department of Medicine, Division of Diabetes and Endocrine Research, Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, California, 94143 1616, USA
Am J Physiol 276:E990-4. 1999....
- Enhanced muscle insulin receptor autophosphorylation with short-term aerobic exercise trainingJ F Youngren
Division of Diabetes and Endocrine Research, Department of Medicine, Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 280:E528-33. 2001....
- Impaired insulin-receptor autophosphorylation is an early defect in fat-fed, insulin-resistant ratsJ F Youngren
Division of Diabetes and Endocrine Research, Department of Medicine, Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco 94143 1616, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 91:2240-7. 2001..These results demonstrate that high-fat feeding induces insulin resistance in muscle concomitant with a diminished IR signaling capacity, although the mechanism remains unknown...
- Skeletal muscle content of membrane glycoprotein PC-1 in obesity. Relationship to muscle glucose transportJ F Youngren
Department of Medicine, Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California San Francisco 94120, USA
Diabetes 45:1324-8. 1996..These studies raise the possibility that increased expression of PC-1 and a decreased insulin receptor content in skeletal muscle may be involved in the insulin resistance of obesity...
- Nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) inhibits the IGF-1 and c-erbB2/HER2/neu receptors and suppresses growth in breast cancer cellsJack F Youngren
Division of Diabetes and Endocrine Research, San Francisco Mt Zion Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 1616, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 94:37-46. 2005..These studies indicate that the anti-breast cancer properties of NDGA are related to the inhibition of two important RTKs. Agents of this class may therefore provide new insights into potential therapies for this disease...
- Nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA), an inhibitor of the HER2 and IGF-1 receptor tyrosine kinases, blocks the growth of HER2-overexpressing human breast cancer cellsMarianna Zavodovskaya
Diabetes and Endocrine Research, University of California, San Francisco Mt Zion Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
J Cell Biochem 103:624-35. 2008..These studies suggest that NDGA may have therapeutic benefits in HER2-positive, tamoxifen resistant, breast cancers in humans...
- Inhibitory effects of nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) on the IGF-1 receptor and androgen dependent growth of LAPC-4 prostate cancer cellsCharles J Ryan
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Prostate 68:1232-40. 2008..The current study evaluates the effect of NDGA on the androgen-stimulated growth of human prostate cancer cells...
- Analysis of insulin-stimulated insulin receptor activation and glucose transport in cultured skeletal muscle cells from obese subjectsCelia Pender
Division of Diabetes and Endocrine Research, Department of Medicine, Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California San Francisco, Box 1616, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Metabolism 54:598-603. 2005..These data therefore indicate that the insulin resistance associated with obesity is not maintained in cultured muscle cells and suggest that this insulin resistance is an acquired feature of obesity...
- Overexpression of the insulin receptor inhibitor PC-1/ENPP1 induces insulin resistance and hyperglycemiaBetty A Maddux
Department of Medicine and Diabetes Center, University of California, San Francisco 94143 1616, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E746-9. 2006....
- Effects of controlled-release alpha lipoic acid in lean, nondiabetic patients with polycystic ovary syndromeUmesh Masharani
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Diabetes Center, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Diabetes Sci Technol 4:359-64. 2010..The purpose of this study was to determine whether a preparation of controlled-release alpha lipoic acid (CRLA) influences features of the polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)...
- Insulin resistance in non-obese subjects is associated with activation of the JNK pathway and impaired insulin signaling in skeletal muscleUmesh B Masharani
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e19878. 2011..These stress kinases are activated through various mechanisms related to lipid oversupply locally in insulin target tissues and in various adipose depots...
- The role of membrane glycoprotein plasma cell antigen 1/ectonucleotide pyrophosphatase phosphodiesterase 1 in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance and related abnormalitiesIra D Goldfine
Department of Medicine and Diabetes Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Endocr Rev 29:62-75. 2008..These data suggest therefore that PC-1 is a candidate protein that may play a role in human insulin resistance and T2D by its overexpression, its overactivity, or both...
- Influence of gender on the relationship between insulin sensitivity, adiposity, and plasma lipids in lean nondiabetic subjectsUmesh Masharani
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Metabolism 58:1602-8. 2009..These results both highlight sex differences in the associations between insulin resistance, regional adipose stores, and lipids values and emphasize the importance of adipose stores on the development of an individual's lipid profile...
- Nordihydroguaiaretic acid inhibits insulin-like growth factor signaling, growth, and survival in human neuroblastoma cellsGary E Meyer
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Cell Biochem 102:1529-41. 2007..In addition, NDGA inhibits the growth of xenografted human neuroblastoma tumors in nude mice. These results indicate that NDGA may be useful in the treatment of neuroblastoma and may function in part via disruption of IGF-IR signaling...
- Inhibition of IGF-1R and lipoxygenase by nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) analogsJoseph E Blecha
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA 94132 4163, USA
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 17:4026-9. 2007..With increased specificity and potency, 7h may serve as a new lead in developing novel therapeutic agents for breast cancer...
- Decreased insulin receptor (IR) autophosphorylation in fibroblasts from patients with PCOS: effects of serine kinase inhibitors and IR activatorsMing Li
University of California at San Francisco, Mount Zion Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4088-93. 2002..Moreover, the observation that TLK16998 and Merck L7 improved IR tyrosine phosphorylation in fibroblasts from patients with PCOS suggests that specific pharmacological therapies might be developed to treat the insulin resistance in PCOS...
- Diarylureas are small-molecule inhibitors of insulin-like growth factor I receptor signaling and breast cancer cell growthKarissa L Gable
Diabetes and Endocrine Research University of California, San Francisco Mt Zion Medical Center, Box 1616, San Francisco, CA 94143 1616, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 5:1079-86. 2006..p. injection thrice a week) reduced the growth rate of MCNeuA cells implanted into mice. These studies indicate that diaryl urea compounds are potential new agents to test in the treatment of breast and other IGF-I-sensitive cancers...
- Regulation of insulin receptor function by a small molecule insulin receptor activatorCelia Pender
Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco 94143 1616, USA
J Biol Chem 277:43565-71. 2002..These studies suggest that these types of molecules could be developed to treat type 2 diabetes and other clinical conditions associated with insulin resistance...
- Parallel synthesis of diarylureas and their evaluation as inhibitors of insulin-like growth factor receptorMarc O Anderson
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California, Box 2280, San Francisco, California 94143 2280, USA
J Comb Chem 8:784-90. 2006..Overall, eight compounds based on the 4-aminoquinaldine heteroaryl system were found to have moderate activity against IGF-1R with IC(50) values better than 40 microM...
- Expression of genes regulating malonyl-CoA in human skeletal muscleCelia Pender
Department of Medicine, Diabetes and Endocrine Research, Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 1616, USA
J Cell Biochem 99:860-7. 2006..No other genes showed signs of increased mRNA content with obesity, suggesting that there may be selective transcriptional regulation of malonyl-CoA metabolism in human obesity...
- Chromium supplementation in non-obese non-diabetic subjects is associated with a decline in insulin sensitivityUmesh Masharani
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Center, University of California San Francisco, 400 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA, 94143 1222, USA
BMC Endocr Disord 12:31. 2012..In the present studies, we test the hypothesis that chromium supplementation raises serum chromium levels and correspondingly improves insulin sensitivity...
- A pilot dose-escalation study of the effects of nordihydroguareacetic acid on hormone and prostate specific antigen levels in patients with relapsed prostate cancerCharles J Ryan
Department of Medicine and the corrected UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
BJU Int 101:436-9. 2008....
- Nordihydroguaiaretic acid inhibits transforming growth factor beta type 1 receptor activity and downstream signalingFusheng Li
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 616:31-7. 2009....
- Effective treatments for insulin resistance: trim the fat and douse the fireJoseph L Evans
Medical Research Institute, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Trends Endocrinol Metab 15:425-31. 2004..One antioxidant that is safe and appears effective is alpha-lipoic acid. Thus, combinations of surgery, exercise training, insulin sensitizers and antioxidants will probably constitute future insulin resistance management...
- Synthesis of aryl-heteroaryl ureas (AHUs) based on 4-aminoquinoline and their evaluation against the insulin-like growth factor receptor (IGF-1R)William Engen
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA 94132, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 18:5995-6005. 2010....
- Technical evaluation of in vivo abdominal fat and IMCL quantification using MRI and MRSI at 3 TXiaojuan Li
Musculoskeletal Quantitative Imaging Research, Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 26:188-97. 2008....
- Insulin resistance induced by hyperinsulinemia coincides with a persistent alteration at the insulin receptor tyrosine kinase domainKaryn J Catalano
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Diabetes Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e108693. 2014..An improved understanding of that memory may help define interventions to reset the IR to full insulin responsiveness and impede the progression of insulin resistance to more severe disease states. ..
- Increased hepatic levels of the insulin receptor inhibitor, PC-1/NPP1, induce insulin resistance and glucose intoleranceHengjiang Dong
Department of Gene Therapy and Molecular Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Diabetes 54:367-72. 2005..These in vivo data support the concept, therefore, that PC-1 plays a role in insulin resistance and suggest that animals with overexpression of human PC-1 in liver may be interesting models to investigate this pathological process...
- Insulin resistance in the skeletal muscle of women with PCOS involves intrinsic and acquired defects in insulin signalingAnne Corbould
Division of Women s Health, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E1047-54. 2005..These abnormalities differ from those reported in other insulin resistant states consistent with the hypothesis that PCOS is a genetically unique disorder conferring an increased risk for type 2 diabetes...
- Plasma adiponectin concentration is associated with skeletal muscle insulin receptor tyrosine phosphorylation, and low plasma concentration precedes a decrease in whole-body insulin sensitivity in humansNorbert Stefan
Clinical Diabetes and Nutrition Section, National Institutes of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Diabetes 51:1884-8. 2002..Prospectively, low plasma adiponectin concentration at baseline precedes a decrease in insulin sensitivity. Our data indicate that adiponectin plays an important role in regulation of insulin sensitivity in humans...
- Elevated plasma cell membrane glycoprotein levels and diminished insulin receptor autophosphorylation in obese, insulin-resistant rhesus monkeysCelia Pender
Diabetes and Obesity Research Center, School of Medicine, Department of Physiology, University of Maryland at Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, USA
Metabolism 51:465-70. 2002..7 +/- 0.3; obese, 1.9 +/- 0.6; P <.05). We conclude that insulin resistance secondary to obesity in rhesus monkeys is associated with increased levels of PC-1 and decreased IR signaling capacity in skeletal muscle...
- Carbonic Anhydrases in Obesity and Insulin ResistanceJACK YOUNGREN; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies should provide important new data, therefore, on the CA family of enzymes, and their role in the insulin resistance. ..