John Q Young
Affiliation: University of California
- Applying Toyota Production System principles to a psychiatric hospital: making transfers safer and more timelyJohn Q Young
Adult Psychiatry Clinic, Langley Porter Psychiatric Hospital and Clinics, San Francisco, CA, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 35:439-48. 2009..However, the use of such methods in psychiatric hospitals has been limited...
- Improving resident education and patient safety: a method to balance initial caseloads at academic year-end transferJohn Q Young
Department of Psychiatry, UCSF School of Medicine, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Acad Med 85:1418-24. 2010..When significant, these imbalances may compromise resident learning and patient safety. Using data from psychiatric outpatient continuity clinics, this study tested a method for balancing initial caseloads...
- Development and initial testing of a structured clinical observation tool to assess pharmacotherapy competenceJohn Q Young
Department of Psychiatry, and Dr O Sullivan with the Office of Medical Education, at UCSF School of Medicine in San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Acad Psychiatry 35:27-34. 2011..the authors developed and tested the feasibility and utility of a new direct-observation instrument to assess trainee performance of a medication management session...
- "July effect": impact of the academic year-end changeover on patient outcomes: a systematic reviewJohn Q Young
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, 94143, USA
Ann Intern Med 155:309-15. 2011..It is commonly believed that the quality of health care decreases during trainee changeovers at the end of the academic year...
- Improving follow-up of high-risk psychiatry outpatients at resident year-end transferJohn Q Young
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medcine, San Francisco, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 37:300-8. 2011..A multifaceted intervention was designed and implemented to identify and improve followup of high-risk patients during academic year-end outpatient transfers in a psychiatry resident continuity clinic...
- The Systems SOAP Note: A Systems Learning ToolFumi Mitsuishi
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Acad Psychiatry 40:164-71. 2016..A tool was developed and pilot-tested to improve SBP learning on inpatient psychiatry rotations...
- Measuring cognitive load: mixed results from a handover simulation for medical studentsJohn Q Young
Department of Psychiatry, Hofstra North Shore LIJ School of Medicine, Zucker Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks, NY, USA
Perspect Med Educ 5:24-32. 2016..This exploratory study tests a method for measuring cognitive load during handovers...
- Influence of learner knowledge and case complexity on handover accuracy and cognitive load: results from a simulation studyJohn Q Young
Department of Psychiatry, Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY, USA
Med Educ 50:969-78. 2016..The handover represents a high-risk event in which errors are common and lead to patient harm. A better understanding of the cognitive mechanisms of handover errors is essential to improving handover education and practice...
- Perioperative use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and risks for adverse outcomes of surgeryAndrew D Auerbach
Division of Hospital Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Ave, PO Box 0131, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
JAMA Intern Med 173:1075-81. 2013..Multicenter studies including a broad range of surgical procedures that explore rare outcomes, such as bleeding and mortality, and that account for indications for administration of SSRIs are needed...
- Measuring cognitive load during procedural skills training with colonoscopy as an exemplarJustin L Sewell
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Med Educ 50:682-92. 2016..Using colonoscopy as an exemplar, we used cognitive load theory to develop a self-report instrument to measure three types of cognitive load (intrinsic, extraneous and germane load) and to provide evidence for instrument validity...
- Residents' perspectives on the final year of medical schoolBridget C O'Brien
Department of Medicine and Office of Medical Education, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Int J Med Educ 3:151-158. 2012..To characterize junior residents' perspectives on the purpose, value, and potential improvement of the final year of medical school...