Affiliation: University of Maryland
- A framework for epistemological analysis in empirical (laboratory and field) studiesY Xiao
Anesthesiology Research Laboratory, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
Hum Factors 42:87-101. 2000..Possible applications of this research include providing guidance to researchers and practitioners in evaluating design principles or conducting field studies...
- The use of distributed displays of operating room video when real-time occupancy status was availableYan Xiao
Department of Anesthesiology and Program in Trauma, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Anesth Analg 106:554-60, table of contents. 2008..On the day of surgery, real-time information of both room occupancy and activities within the operating room (OR) is needed for management of staff, equipment, and unexpected events...
- An algorithm for processing vital sign monitoring data to remotely identify operating room occupancy in real-timeYan Xiao
Human Factors and Technology Research, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Maryland Baltimore, 685 W Baltimore Street, MSTF 534, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Anesth Analg 101:823-9, table of contents. 2005..The algorithm's usefulness was demonstrated partly by its continued operational use. We conclude that VS can be processed to accurately report OR occupancy in real-time...
- Emergent CSCW systems: the resolution and bandwidth of workplacesYan Xiao
Division of Research in Patient Safety, Program in Trauma, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Int J Med Inform 76:S261-6. 2007....
- Artifacts and collaborative work in healthcare: methodological, theoretical, and technological implications of the tangibleYan Xiao
University of Maryland School of Medicine, 685 W Baltimore St, MSTF 534, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Biomed Inform 38:26-33. 2005....
- Video-based training increases sterile-technique compliance during central venous catheter insertionYan Xiao
Program in Trauma, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
Crit Care Med 35:1302-6. 2007..To evaluate the effect of an online training course containing video clips of central venous catheter insertions on compliance with sterile practice...
- Video technology to advance safety in the operating room and perioperative environmentYan Xiao
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Surg Innov 14:52-61. 2007..Also described are several key issues associated with the use of video, such as ethics and legal concerns. Technology advances and new methods will make video an important tool for improving patient safety...
- What whiteboards in a trauma center operating suite can teach us about emergency department communicationYan Xiao
Division of Research in Patient Safety, Program in Trauma, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 22 S Greene St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Ann Emerg Med 50:387-95. 2007..The similar communicative demands of the trauma operating suite and an emergency department (ED) make the findings applicable to both settings...
- Mentors decrease compliance with best sterile practices during central venous catheter placement in the trauma resuscitation unitJames L Guzzo
Department of Surgery, The R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center and University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 7:15-20. 2006..There are few data on compliance with accepted, standard sterile practices during such procedures...
- Video as a tool for improving tracheal intubation tasks for emergency medical and trauma careColin F Mackenzie
Department of Anesthesiology, Program in Trauma, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Ann Emerg Med 50:436-42, 442.e1. 2007....
- A systematic review of the literature on multidisciplinary rounds to design information technologyAyse P Gurses
Department of Anesthesiology and Program in Trauma, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 685 West Baltimore Street, MSTF 5 34, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 13:267-76. 2006....
- Video-based ergonomic analysis to evaluate thoracostomy tube placement techniquesF Jacob Seagull
Anesthesiology Research Laboratories, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 685 West Baltimore Street, MSTF Rm 5 34, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Trauma 60:227-32. 2006..We hypothesized that ergonomic analysis of thoracostomy techniques can identify areas for potential improvement in patient and operator safety...
- Dissecting multidisciplinary cardiac surgery roundsMarcelo Cardarelli
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiac Surgery, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore 21201, Maryland, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:809-13. 2009..We attempt to assess the cost of this intervention, and to review the time utilization of professionals participating in the process...
- Using wireless technologies to improve information flow for interhospital transfers of critical care patientsKathleen M McGrow
University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Crit Care Nurse 24:66-72, 114. 2004
- Gaze disruptions experienced by the laparoscopic operating surgeonErica Sutton
Department of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201 1595, USA
Surg Endosc 24:1240-4. 2010..In this investigation we identify attention disruptions as they occur in terms of the operating surgeon's gaze. We then quantify such disruptions and also seek to establish what occasioned them...
- Daily multidisciplinary discharge rounds in a trauma center: a little time, well spentAyan Sen
University of Maryland School of Medicine and R Adam Cowley Shock Trauma Center, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Trauma 66:880-7. 2009..We characterized the discussion content and time spent during MDRs and measured success rates in implementing communicated plans...
- User-designed information tools to support communication and care coordination in a trauma hospitalAyse P Gurses
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1909 Thames Street, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
J Biomed Inform 42:667-77. 2009....
- Video techniques and data compared with observation in emergency trauma careC F Mackenzie
The Charles McC Mathias Jr, National Study Centre for Trauma and EMS, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Qual Saf Health Care 12:ii51-7. 2003....
- Advanced visualization platform for surgical operating room coordination: distributed video board systemPeter F Hu
Program in Trauma, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Surg Innov 13:129-35. 2006..Operating room status was visualized at 4 separate locations and was used continuously by clinicians and operating room service providers to coordinate operating room activities...
- Novel, Web-based, information-exploration approach for improving operating room logistics and system processesPaul G Nagy
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Surg Innov 15:7-16. 2008..Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats associated with implementing such a program in the perioperative environment are summarized...
- Availability of trauma specialists in level I and II trauma centers: a national surveyYoung Ju Kim
Program in Trauma and Department of Anesthesiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Trauma 63:676-83. 2007..The purpose of the study was to determine the availability of trauma team personnel in Level I and II trauma centers across the United States...
- Outcomes from a comprehensive stroke telemedicine programMarian P LaMonte
Department of Neurology, Room N4W46, University of Maryland Medical Center, 22 South Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Telemed J E Health 14:339-44. 2008..Contractual and third-party reimbursement structures should be modified to surmount this impediment to extending stroke specialty care and community education...
- Automated measurement of "pressure times time dose" of intracranial hypertension best predicts outcome after severe traumatic brain injurySibel Kahraman
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Trauma 69:110-8. 2010..We assessed the accuracy and utility of high-resolution automated intracranial pressure (ICP) and cerebral perfusion pressure (CPP) recording and their analysis in patients with severe TBI...
- Communication technology in trauma centers: a national surveyYan Xiao
Program in Trauma, School of Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Emerg Med 30:21-8. 2006..Cellular phones have become an important part of hospital-field communication. In high-volume trauma centers, there is a need for more accurate methods of communicating with field personnel and among hospital care providers...
- A web-based teamwork skills training program for emergency medical teamsEleen B Entin
Aptima, Inc, Woburn, MA, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 125:121-6. 2007..The approach used in this program can be adapted to any domain in which distributed teams will benefit from pre-deployment training...
- Video acquisition and audio system network (VAASNET) for analysis of workplace safety performanceColin F Mackenzie
Biomed Instrum Technol 37:285-91. 2003
- Improving operating room coordination: communication pattern assessmentJacqueline Moss
School of Nursing, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Nurs Adm 34:93-100. 2004..To capture communication patterns in operating room (OR) management to characterize the information needs of OR coordination...
- Making management decisions on the day of surgery based on operating room efficiency and patient waiting timesFranklin Dexter
Department of Anesthesia and Health Management and Policy, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
Anesthesiology 101:1444-53. 2004..Future studies should focus on using real-time display of data to reduce patient waiting...
- In Situ Fourier transform infrared spectroscopic study of the thermal degradation of isotactic poly(propylene)Peng He
Institute of Polymer Materials, College of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 800 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai 200240, People s Republic of China
Appl Spectrosc 59:33-8. 2005..Above all, this is a new application to polymer thermal degradation by in situ FT-IR that connects the intermediate conformational change with final results during thermal degradation...
- Safety in numbers: the value of counting adverse eventsKENDALL K HALL
Crit Care Med 36:2196-7. 2008
- [Dendrolimus spp. damage monitoring by using NOAA/AVHRR data]Yushu Zhang
Institute of Atmospheric Environment, China Meteorological Administration, Shenyang 110016, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:870-4. 2005..The damaged area estimated by AVHRR was 12.1%-14.3% lower than that by TM...
- Coordination of appointments for anesthesia care outside of operating rooms using an enterprise-wide scheduling systemFranklin Dexter
Division of Management Consulting, Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa, Iowa 52242, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1701-10, table of contents. 2007..An anesthesia department implemented scheduling of anesthetics outside of operating rooms (non-OR) by clerks and nurses from other departments using its hospital's enterprise-wide scheduling system...