Nicole C Wright
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Study design considerations for a large simple trial of bisphosphonatesNicole C Wright
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 25:517-23. 2013..To evaluate design considerations for an osteoporosis large simple trial (LST)...
- Recent trends in hip fracture rates by race/ethnicity among older US adultsNicole C Wright
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
J Bone Miner Res 27:2325-32. 2012..Further research is needed to understand mechanisms responsible for declining rates in some and not others, as hip fractures continue to be a major problem among the elderly...
- From fracture risk prediction to evaluating fracture patterns: recent advances in the epidemiology of osteoporosisNicole C Wright
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 14:205-11. 2012..We also discuss recent evaluations of secular trends in fracture incidence...
- Rheumatoid arthritis is associated with less optimal hip structural geometryNicole C Wright
Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Clin Densitom 15:39-48. 2012..Within the WHI-BMD, women with RA group had reduced BMD and structural geometry at baseline, and this reduction was seen at a fixed rate throughout the 9 yr of study...
- Arthritis increases the risk for fractures--results from the Women's Health InitiativeNicole C Wright
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
J Rheumatol 38:1680-8. 2011..To examine the relationship between arthritis and fracture...
- Self-reported osteoarthritis, ethnicity, body mass index, and other associated risk factors in postmenopausal women-results from the Women's Health InitiativeNicole C Wright
Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, Tuscon, Arizona, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:1736-43. 2008..79, 3.91) women, indicating a significant interactive effect of BMI and ethnicity on odds of OA. In conclusion, OA is a highly prevalent condition in postmenopausal women, and there are differential effects according to ethnicity...
- Central DXA utilization shifts from office-based to hospital-based settings among medicare beneficiaries in the wake of reimbursement changesJie Zhang
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Bone Miner Res 27:858-64. 2012..The reduction in DXA reimbursement was associated with a decrease in the number of DXAs performed in physician offices and fewer physician offices that provided DXA services...
- Identifying newly approved medications in Medicare claims data: a case study using tocilizumabJeffrey R Curtis
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Birmingham, AL, USA
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 22:1214-21. 2013..Accurately identifying these medications is critical to safety and effectiveness research. Methods to identify medications prior to assignment of specific drug codes have not been well described...
- The Validity of Claims-Based Algorithms to Identify Serious Hypersensitivity Reactions and Osteonecrosis of the JawNicole C Wright
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0131601. 2015..An algorithm for osteonecrosis of the jaw did not, partly due to the inclusion of diagnosis codes that are not specific for osteoporosis of the jaw. ..
- Use of health plan combined with registry data to predict clinical trial recruitmentJeffrey R Curtis
aDivision of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Clin Trials 11:96-101. 2014....
- Physicians' explanations for apparent gaps in the quality of rheumatology care: results from the US Medicare Physician Quality Reporting SystemJeffrey R Curtis
University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 65:235-43. 2013..We described the frequency and nature of physician-reported reasons why recommended care for individual osteoporosis and RA patients was not provided...
- Stronger bone correlates with African admixture in African-American womenZhao Chen
Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Bone Miner Res 26:2307-16. 2011..However, women with higher percent African admixture had larger reductions in bone strength than non-Hispanic white women during the follow-up...
- Validation study of medicare claims to identify older US adults with CKD using the Reasons for Geographic and Racial Differences in Stroke (REGARDS) StudyPaul Muntner
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL Electronic address
Am J Kidney Dis 65:249-58. 2015..Health care claims data may provide a cost-efficient approach for studying chronic kidney disease (CKD)...
- Potential and pitfalls of using large administrative claims data to study the safety of osteoporosis therapiesJie Zhang
Department of Epidemiology and Health Services Comparative Effectiveness Research Training Program, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1665 University Boulevard, RPHB 517B, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 13:273-82. 2011....
- Patterns and predictors of osteoporosis medication discontinuation and switching among Medicare beneficiariesHuifeng Yun
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham 35294, AL, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 15:112. 2014..This study assessed medication discontinuation and switching patterns among Medicare beneficiaries who were new users of bisphosphonates and evaluated factors possibly associated with discontinuation...
- The recent prevalence of osteoporosis and low bone mass in the United States based on bone mineral density at the femoral neck or lumbar spineNicole C Wright
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
J Bone Miner Res 29:2520-6. 2014..Although most of the individuals with osteoporosis or low bone mass were non-Hispanic white women, a substantial number of men and women from other racial/ethnic groups also had osteoporotic BMD or low bone mass...
- Using tablet computers compared to interactive voice response to improve subject recruitment in osteoporosis pragmatic clinical trials: feasibility, satisfaction, and sample sizeAmy S Mudano
Center for Education and Research on Therapeutics CERTs Center for Outcomes Effectiveness Research and Education COERE, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences CCTS, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Patient Prefer Adherence 7:517-23. 2013..Our study looked at a tablet computer versus an integrated voice response system (IVRS) for patient recruitment and screening for an osteoporosis PCT in community physician offices...
- Bone Mineral Density as a Predictor of Subsequent Wrist Fractures: Findings From the Women's Health Initiative StudyCarolyn J Crandall
Department of Medicine C J C, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90024 Department of Epidemiology and Environmental Health K M H, J W W, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14260 Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences C A A, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 Department of Epidemiology J A C, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261 Division of Preventive Medicine J E M and Department of Medicine, Endocrine, Diabetes and Hypertension Division M S L, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02467 Department of Epidemiology N C W and Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology J R C, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 Division of Preventive and Behavioral Medicine W L, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655 and Department of Health and Exercise Science K B, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27106
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 100:4315-24. 2015..Wrist fractures are common among postmenopausal women. Associations of bone mineral density (BMD) and 10-year predicted risk of major osteoporotic fracture (MOF) with wrist fractures are poorly characterized...
- Pilot study of dietary influences on mammographic density in pre- and postmenopausal Hispanic and non-Hispanic white womenCynthia A Thomson
Department of Nutritional Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721 0038, USA
Menopause 14:243-50. 2007....
- Performance evaluation of a multiplex assay for future use in biomarker discovery efforts to predict body compositionJennifer W Bea
Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Clin Chem Lab Med 49:817-24. 2011..We sought to determine the best blood fraction for multiplex evaluation of circulating biomarkers in post-menopausal women, and to explore body composition phenotype discrimination by biomarkers...