A van der Straten
Affiliation: University of California
- Managing HIV among serodiscordant heterosexual couples: serostatus, stigma and sexA van der Straten
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California San Francisco 94105, USA
AIDS Care 10:533-48. 1998..These altruistic activities, which also included participation in research, helped to transcend external and internalized stigma. Implications for developing interventions for HIV-serodiscordant couples are discussed...
- Sexual risk behaviors among heterosexual HIV serodiscordant couples in the era of post-exposure prevention and viral suppressive therapyA van der Straten
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, 94105, USA
AIDS 14:F47-54. 2000....
- Predictors of diaphragm use as a potential sexually transmitted disease/HIV prevention method in ZimbabweAriane van der Straten
Center for Reproductive Health Research and Policy, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, 74 New Montgomery Street, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Sex Transm Dis 32:64-71. 2005..Women who are the most vulnerable to sexually transmitted diseases/HIV are often unable to consistently use condoms. One potential alternative method currently under investigation is the diaphragm...
- Vaginal ring adherence in sub-Saharan Africa: expulsion, removal, and perfect useElizabeth T Montgomery
Women s Global Health Imperative, RTI International Research Triangle Institute, 114 Sansome Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 3812, USA
AIDS Behav 16:1787-98. 2012..The findings suggest that adherence to VR use in the context of HIV prevention trials in these communities should be high, thereby enabling more accurate assessment of an active microbicide safety and efficacy...
- Concurrent sexual partnerships among individuals in HIV sero-discordant heterosexual couplesA Eaton
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Int J STD AIDS 20:679-82. 2009..In conclusion, more frequent HIV testing may complement increased attention to communication, disclosure and condom use in this population that is especially vulnerable to acquiring and transmitting HIV infection...
- High acceptability of a vaginal ring intended as a microbicide delivery method for HIV prevention in African womenA van der Straten
Women s Global Health Imperative, RTI International, 114 Sansome Street, San Francisco, CA 94104, USA
AIDS Behav 16:1775-86. 2012..The ring appeared to be highly acceptable for women and men. Initial concerns with this novel method suggest a need for enhanced product counseling when VRs are introduced...
- Discrepancies in diagnosis of incident HIV infection between antibody- and DNA-based tests in a phase III prevention trial in southern AfricaE T Montgomery
Women s Global Health Imperative, RTI International, San Francisco, CA, USA
Int J STD AIDS 23:649-52. 2012..The source of this discrepancy may have been due to inadequate specimen volume, filter paper or DNA extraction procedures, but were most likely due to storage conditions that have been reported as acceptable in other settings...
- HIV-specific IgG in cervicovaginal secretions of exposed HIV-uninfected female sexual partners of HIV-infected menK Buchacz
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 17:1689-93. 2001..However, it appears unlikely that HIV-specific cervicovaginal antibodies play a major role in protection from HIV infection in this EU population...
- Misreporting of Product Adherence in the MTN-003/VOICE Trial for HIV Prevention in Africa: Participants' Explanations for DishonestyElizabeth T Montgomery
Women s Global Health Imperative, RTI International, 351 California St, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA, 94104, USA
AIDS Behav . 2016..Prevailing power hierarchies between staff and participants may exacerbate misreporting. Participants recognized and suggested that objective, real-time feedback is needed to encourage honest reporting...
- Counsellors' perspectives on the experience of providing HIV counselling in Kenya and Tanzania: the Voluntary HIV-1 Counselling and Testing Efficacy StudyO A Grinstead
University of California, San Francisco, Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, 74 New Montgomery, Suite 600, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
AIDS Care 12:625-42. 2000....
- The importance of discreet use of the diaphragm to Zimbabwean women and their partnersMi Suk Kang
UZ UCSF Collaborative Research Programme in Women s Health, Harare, Zimbabwe
AIDS Behav 11:443-51. 2007..However, many were concerned that use without partner approval could lead to marital problems. Discreet use should be considered in development of barrier methods and in diaphragm promotion, if proven effective against HIV/STI...
- "Come back when you're dying:" the commodification of AIDS among California's urban poorJohanna Crane
Department of Medical Anthropology, University of California San Francisco, 94143, USA
Soc Sci Med 55:1115-27. 2002..Within such an economy, an HIV or AIDS diagnosis may actually operate as a commodity...
- Introducing diaphragms into the mix: what happens to male condom use patterns?Samuel F Posner
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease, Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Reproductive Health, 4770 Buford Highway MS K 20, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
AIDS Behav 9:443-9. 2005..Introducing the diaphragm increased the overall proportion of protected acts. The proportion of acts where a male condom was used did not change. Female condoms use declined because concurrent use with the diaphragm is not possible...
- Consistent condom use in married Zimbabwean women after a condom interventionLisa Callegari
Department of Obstretrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, School of Medicine, University of San Francisco, California, USA
Sex Transm Dis 35:624-30. 2008..Condom use to prevent HIV in Africa has increased in nonmarital sexual encounters but remains low within marriage. Married women of reproductive age, however, are at high risk of HIV...
- Probiotics: potential to prevent HIV and sexually transmitted infections in womenMichael Bolton
Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Sex Transm Dis 35:214-25. 2008..If results from such a trial demonstrate efficacy, future studies should be designed to determine whether a probiotic can significantly lower the risk for HIV and STIs in at-risk female populations...
- Consistent use of a combination product versus a single product in a safety trial of the diaphragm and microbicide in Harare, ZimbabweAriane van der Straten
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Women s Global Health Imperative, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Contraception 77:435-43. 2008..We examined the use and acceptability of a combination product (diaphragm and gel) compared to a single product (gel) during a 6-month safety trial in Zimbabwe...
- Female condom uptake and acceptability in ZimbabweSue Napierala
Women s Global Health Imperative, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94104, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 20:121-34. 2008..Though FC may not be the preferred method for the majority of women, with access, proper education, and promotion they may be a valuable option for some Zimbabwean women...
- A randomized controlled safety trial of the diaphragm and cellulose sulfate microbicide gel in sexually active women in ZimbabweAriane van der Straten
Department of Ob Gyn, University of California San Francisco, Women s Global Health Imperative, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Contraception 76:389-99. 2007..Cellulose sulfate (CS) is an antimicrobial and contraceptive agent. We assessed its safety when used alone or with the diaphragm in Harare, Zimbabwe...
- Barrier method preferences and perceptions among Zimbabwean women and their partnersJessica Buck
Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, 30 East Huron 4601, Chicago, Illinois, USA
AIDS Behav 9:415-22. 2005..Female condoms were least preferred because of obviousness and partial coverage of outer-genitalia that interfered with sexual pleasure...
- Diaphragm and lubricant gel for prevention of HIV acquisition in southern African women: a randomised controlled trialNancy S Padian
University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Lancet 370:251-61. 2007..We assessed the effect of provision of latex diaphragm, lubricant gel, and condoms (intervention), compared with condoms alone (control) on HIV seroincidence in women in South Africa and Zimbabwe...
- Early age of first sex: a risk factor for HIV infection among women in ZimbabweAudrey E Pettifor
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
AIDS 18:1435-42. 2004..To explore the relationship between early age of coital debut (15 years of age or younger) and risk for HIV infection among sexually active urbanized Zimbabwean women...