Affiliation: University of Arizona
- Fiber optic probes for biomedical optical spectroscopyUrs Utzinger
University of Arizona, Biomedical Engineering and Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
J Biomed Opt 8:121-47. 2003..The design of probes for reflectance, polarized reflectance, fluorescence, and Raman spectroscopy is illustrated. We cover universal design principles as well as technologies for beam deflecting and reshaping...
- Two-photon excited fluorescence imaging of endogenous contrast in a mouse model of ovarian cancerJennifer M Watson
University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Lasers Surg Med 45:155-66. 2013..In order to aid understanding of disease etiology and progression, we identify the endogenous fluorophores present in a mouse model of ovarian cancer and describe changes in fluorophore abundance and distribution with age and disease...
- Enhanced visibility of colonic neoplasms using formulaic ratio imaging of native fluorescenceBhaskar Banerjee
Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 85724 Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 85721 College of Optical Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 85721
Lasers Surg Med 45:573-81. 2013..Colonoscopy is the preferred method for colon cancer screening, but can miss polyps and flat neoplasms with low color contrast. The objective was to develop a new autofluorescence method that improves image contrast of colonic neoplasms...
- Comparisons of planar and tubular biaxial tensile testing protocols of the same porcine coronary arteriesJoseph T Keyes
Graduate Interdisciplinary Program in Biomedical Engineering, The University of Arizona, P O Box 210119, Tucson, AZ 85721 0119, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 41:1579-91. 2013..There was a shift towards the circumferential direction upon flattening of 8.0°. There was also noticeable collagen uncrimping in the flattened tissue...
- The effects of angiotensin II on the coupled microstructural and biomechanical response of C57BL/6 mouse aortaDarren Haskett
Graduate Interdisciplinary Program of Biomedical Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 0119, USA
J Biomech 45:772-9. 2012..We chose here to investigate the effect of angiotensin II (AngII) in C57BL/6 mice as a first step towards understanding how such changes occur in the established ApoE(-/-) AngII infused mouse model of AAA...
- Wide-field spectral imaging of human ovary autofluorescence and oncologic diagnosis via previously collected probe dataTimothy E Renkoski
University of Arizona, College of Optical Sciences, 1630 East University Boulevard, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
J Biomed Opt 17:036003. 2012..Benign neoplasm ovaries were also found to classify as nonmalignant using the same algorithm. Although applied ex vivo, the method described here appears useful for quick assessment of cancer presence in the human ovary...
- A gimbal-mounted pressurization chamber for macroscopic and microscopic assessment of ocular tissuesJoseph T Keyes
Graduate Interdisciplinary Program in Biomedical Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Biomech Eng 133:095001. 2011..This ability to move the sclera in space about the center of the globe, coupled with an upright multiphoton microscope, allows for collecting collagen, and elastin signal in a rapid automated fashion so the entire globe can be imaged...
- Endogenous optical biomarkers of ovarian cancer evaluated with multiphoton microscopyNathaniel D Kirkpatrick
Biomedical Engineering Program, University of Arizona, Arizona, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:2048-57. 2007..We have imaged multiphoton interactions of endogenous tissue constituents from normal and abnormal ovarian biopsies that were kept viable during transport from the operating room and microscopy...
- Fluorescence spectroscopy as a biomarker in a cell culture and in a nonhuman primate model for ovarian cancer chemopreventive agentsMolly Brewer
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biomed Opt 7:20-6. 2002..The objective of this study was to compare the effects of chemopreventive agents on natural fluorescence emission of ovarian cells in a cell culture and in a primate model as a feasibility trial to monitor drug activity...
- Ex vivo optical coherence tomography and laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy imaging of murine gastrointestinal tractLida P Hariri
Division of Biomedical Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Comp Med 57:175-85. 2007..OCT and LIF appear to be useful and complementary modalities for ex vivo imaging of mouse GI tissues...
- Imaging of the ovaryMolly A Brewer
Biomedical Engineering Program, University of Arizona, 1515 N Campbell Ave, Room 1968, Tucson, AZ 85724 5024, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 3:617-27. 2004..The combination of optical technologies supported by modern molecular biology may lead to an instrument that can accurately detect early carcinogenesis...
- Analysis of second-harmonic-generation microscopy in a mouse model of ovarian carcinomaJennifer M Watson
University of Arizona, Biomedical Engineering, 1657 E Helen Street, Building 240, P O Box 210240, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
J Biomed Opt 17:076002. 2012..5% and 81.1%. These results suggest that using SHG to visualize collagen structure in ovaries could help with early cancer detection...
- Parallel factor analysis of ovarian autofluorescence as a cancer diagnosticRonie George
College of Optical Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Lasers Surg Med 44:282-95. 2012..We evaluate the potential of these changes in fluorescence to predict a diagnosis of malignancy and to estimate the risk of developing ovarian cancer...
- 4-HPR modulates gene expression in ovarian cellsMolly Brewer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Arizona Cancer Center, Tucson, 85724, USA
Int J Cancer 119:1005-13. 2006..These findings suggest that 4-HPR acts through different mechanisms in premalignant ovarian surface cells and cancer cells, with a preventive effect in premalignant cells and a treatment effect in cancer cells...
- Endoscopic optical coherence tomography and laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy in a murine colon cancer modelLida P Hariri
Division of Biomedical Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Lasers Surg Med 38:305-13. 2006..The diagnostic feasibility of optical coherence tomography (OCT) and laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) have been evaluated for human colorectal cancer. This study applies these technologies to a murine model of colorectal adenoma...
- Task-based imaging of colon cancer in the Apc(Min/+) mouse modelJames B McNally
University of Arizona, Tuscon 85721 0104, USA
Appl Opt 45:3049-62. 2006..The magnitude of the 680 nm signal correlates with chlorophyll content in the mouse diet, suggesting that the autofluorescent compound is a dietary metabolite...
- Endogenous fluorescence spectroscopy of cell suspensions for chemopreventive drug monitoringNathaniel D Kirkpatrick
Division of Biomedical Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Photochem Photobiol 81:125-34. 2005..Given that each cell line has been shown to have a different apoptotic response to 4HPR, fluorescence redox values along with changes in tryptophan fluorescence may be a response as well as an endpoint marker for chemopreventive drugs...
- 2-Photon Characterization of Optical Proteolytic Beacons for Imaging Changes in Matrix-Metalloprotease Activity in a Mouse Model of AneurysmDarren G Haskett
1Graduate Interdisciplinary Program of Biomedical Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Microsc Microanal 22:349-60. 2016....
- Miniature endoscope for simultaneous optical coherence tomography and laser-induced fluorescence measurementAlexandre R Tumlinson
University of Arizona, 1230 East Speedway Boulevard, Tucson, Arizona 85721 0104, USA
Appl Opt 43:113-21. 2004..We present the use of a rod prism to reduce the asymmetry in the OCT beam caused by a cylindrical window. The endoscope has been applied to investigate mouse colon cancer in vivo...
- Design and characterization of a combined OCT and wide field imaging falloposcope for ovarian cancer detectionMolly Keenan
University of Arizona, Biomedical Engineering, 1127 James E Rogers Way, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Biomed Opt Express 8:124-136. 2017..In addition, we show the mechanical performance of the endoscope in an anatomically correct model of the female reproductive tract...
- Scanning two-photon microscopy with upconverting lanthanide nanoparticles via Richardson-Lucy deconvolutionChristian F Gainer
The University of Arizona, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Tucson, Arizona, 85721 0240, USA
J Biomed Opt 17:076003. 2012..This deconvolution technique combined with the functionalized nanoparticles will enable three-dimensional functional tissue imaging at exceptionally low excitation power densities...
- Ratio images and ultraviolet C excitation in autofluorescence imaging of neoplasms of the human colonTimothy E Renkoski
University of Arizona, College of Optical Sciences, 1630 E University Boulevard, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
J Biomed Opt 18:16005. 2013..The newly discovered ratio images can potentially improve detection rate in screening with a novel AF colonoscope...
- Altered tissue behavior of a non-aneurysmal descending thoracic aorta in the mouse model of Marfan syndromeDarren Haskett
Graduate Interdisciplinary Program of Biomedical Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz, USA
Cell Tissue Res 347:267-77. 2012..The ability to reveal the presence of altered biomechanics and microstructure coupled with subtle changes in TGFβ signaling provides a novel surrogate measure of tissue susceptibility to aneurysm before disease onset...
- Adaptation of a planar microbiaxial optomechanical device for the tubular biaxial microstructural and macroscopic characterization of small vascular tissuesJoseph T Keyes
Graduate Interdisciplinary Program in Biomedical Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Biomech Eng 133:075001. 2011..Several other hard-to-test tubular specimens such as cerebral aneurysm arteries and atherosclerotic coronary arteries can also be tested using the described modular device...
- Clinical research device for ovarian cancer detection by optical spectroscopy in the ultraviolet C-visibleRonie George
University of Arizona, College of Optical Sciences, 1630 East University Boulevard, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
J Biomed Opt 15:057009. 2010..If proven effective, this technique can be useful in screening women at high risk of developing ovarian cancer to determine whether oophorectomy is necessary...
- Spectral background and transmission characteristics of fiber optic imaging bundlesJoshua Anthony Udovich
Optical Sciences Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Appl Opt 47:4560-8. 2008..Knowledge of these properties allows users of high-resolution imaging bundles to optimally design systems that utilize such bundles...
- In vitro model for endogenous optical signatures of collagenNathaniel D Kirkpatrick
Biomedical Engineering Program, University of Arizona, Life Sciences North, Rm 362, 1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
J Biomed Opt 11:054021. 2006..The developed measurement system will allow further studies on the effect of enzymatic cleavages and structural alterations on collagen fluorescence and SHG...
- Depth-sensitive reflectance measurements using obliquely oriented fiber probesAdrien Ming Jer Wang
Rice University, Department of Bioengineering, Houston, Texas 77251 1892, USA
J Biomed Opt 10:44017. 2005....
- Influence of fiber optic probe geometry on the applicability of inverse models of tissue reflectance spectroscopy: computational models and experimental measurementsJiantang Sun
Rice University, Houston, TX 77005, USA
Appl Opt 45:8152-62. 2006..5-3 mm that is compatible with endoscopic specifications. The presented inversion method is computationally efficient for eventual real-time in vivo tissue diagnostics application...
- Fiber optic probe for polarized reflectance spectroscopy in vivo: design and performanceAlexey Myakov
University of Texas, Biomedical Engineering Program, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
J Biomed Opt 7:388-97. 2002..Finally, the feasibility of in vivo measurements with the fiber optic based polarization sensitive light scattering spectroscopy is demonstrated...
- Fluorescence spectroscopy for cervical precancer detection: Is there variance across the menstrual cycle?Sung K Chang
University of Texas at Austin, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
J Biomed Opt 7:595-602. 2002..The menstrual cycle affects intra-patient variation but does not appear to cause a significant level of inter-patient variation. It does not need to be controlled for in optical detection strategies based on fluorescence spectroscopy...
- Optimal visual perception and detection of oral cavity neoplasiaUrs Utzinger
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Obstetrics and Gynecology, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 50:396-9. 2003..To optimally visualize fluorescence at 340-nm excitation, the emission should be observed through a blue bandpass filter transmitting light at 430 nm...
- Effects of biographical variables on cervical fluorescence emission spectraCarrie Brookner
University of Texas at Austin, Biomedical Engineering Program, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
J Biomed Opt 8:479-83. 2003..The addition of these biographical variables in the preprocessing of data could dramatically improve algorithm performance and applicability...
- Detecting the signal of the menstrual cycle in fluorescence spectroscopy of the cervixDennis D Cox
Department of Statistics, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77005, USA
Appl Spectrosc 57:67-72. 2003..This suggests that any problems from the menstrual cycle can be avoided with a simple requirement that the device not be used during the period of menstrual bleeding...
- Optical Spectroscopy of Ovarian CancerUrs Utzinger; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed project will take an important step toward improving the overall survival in ovarian cancer, a statistic that has not changed in the last 50 years. ..
- Advanced Intravital MicroscopeUrs Utzinger; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..