J Y Tsoh
Affiliation: University of California
- Development of major depression after treatment for smoking cessationJ Y Tsoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Am J Psychiatry 157:368-74. 2000..Case studies suggest cigarette abstinence may precipitate a major depressive episode. This study examined the incidence and predictors of major depression in the 12 months after treatment for smoking cessation...
- Smoking and depression in Chinese AmericansJanice Y Tsoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0984, USA
Am J Med Sci 326:187-91. 2003..A close link between smoking and depression has been documented by research primarily based on U.S. white populations. This study examined the association between depressive symptoms and smoking behaviors in Chinese American smokers...
- Depression and smoking: from the Transtheoretical Model of change perspectiveJanice Y Tsoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Avenue 0984 TRC, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Addict Behav 29:801-5. 2004..Current depressive symptoms, rather than depression history, was related to other TTM constructs: pros of smoking, temptation to smoke under habitual and negative affect situations, and the self-reevaluation process of change...
- Promoting smoking cessation in pregnancy with Video Doctor plus provider cueing: a randomized trialJanice Y Tsoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 89:515-23. 2010..This study examined the use of a Video Doctor plus provider cueing to promote provider advice and smoking cessation outcomes in pregnancy...
- The Chinese community smoking cessation project: a community sensitive intervention trialCandice C Wong
Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0610, USA
J Community Health 33:363-73. 2008..Community sensitive collaborative process facilitated implementation of study protocol in community health care settings...
- Treating tobacco dependence in clinically depressed smokers: effect of smoking cessation on mental health functioningJudith J Prochaska
University of California San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Ave, Box TRC 0984, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Am J Public Health 98:446-8. 2008..Individuals in treatment for clinical depression can be helped to stop smoking without adversely affecting their mental health functioning...
- Treatment for cigarette smoking among depressed mental health outpatients: a randomized clinical trialSharon M Hall
University of California, San Francisco, Treatment Research Center, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1808-14. 2006..Using a brief contact control, we tested the efficacy of a staged care intervention to reduce cigarette smoking among psychiatric patients in outpatient treatment for depression...
- Individual and family factors associated with intention to quit among male Vietnamese American smokers: implications for intervention developmentJanice Y Tsoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Addict Behav 36:294-301. 2011..Findings underscore the importance of designing strategic interventions that meet the needs of smokers at both individual and family levels to promote quit intention and to facilitate successful quitting in this population...
- Acceptance of nicotine dependence treatment among currently depressed smokersNancy A Haug
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 7:217-24. 2005..Findings have implications for the psychiatric assessment and treatment of smokers in clinical settings. Psychiatric medication may play a significant role in smoking cessation treatment acceptance by currently depressed smokers...
- Depressed smokers and stage of change: implications for treatment interventionsJudith J Prochaska
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Avenue, TRC 0984, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 76:143-51. 2004..The consistency in hypothesized patterns among theoretical constructs of the Stages of Change model supports the transfer of stage-tailored interventions to this clinical population...
- Older adults' and case managers' perceptions of smoking and smoking cessationEva M Schmitt
Institute On Aging Research Center, 3330 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
J Aging Health 17:717-33. 2005..This study explores older smokers' and case managers' perceptions of smoking and smoking cessation...
- Differential item functioning of the English and Chinese versions of the Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine DependenceHiroyuki Yamada
Graduate School of Education, University of California, Berkeley, BEAR Center, 2000 Center Street, Suite 301, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Addict Behav 34:125-33. 2009..Further analysis revealed that the reliabilities of two dimensions did not meet the commonly accepted standard. Suggestions were made to improve scale reliabilities of the FTND...
- Statistical analysis of randomized trials in tobacco treatment: longitudinal designs with dichotomous outcomeS M Hall
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, 94143, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 3:193-202. 2001..A standardized method for reporting missing data is proposed. Reference and software programs for both data analysis strategies and handling of missing data are presented...
- Changes in smoking status among substance abusers: baseline characteristics and abstinence from alcohol and drugs at 12-month follow-upCarolynn S Kohn
University of California San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 69:61-71. 2003..Future studies may want to measure the smoking status of all participants at all time points in order to include this higher-risk group of substance using smokers...
- Combined effects of venlafaxine, nicotine replacement, and brief counseling on smoking cessationPaul M Cinciripini
Department of Behavioral Science, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77230, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 13:282-92. 2005..The findings suggest that venlafaxine could have some role to play in the treatment of lighter smokers, in addition to the expected benefits of nicotine replacement therapy and behavioral counseling...