Myriam E Torres
Affiliation: University of South Carolina
- Latina voices in childhood obesity: a pilot study using Photovoice in South CarolinaMyriam E Torres
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Consortium for Latino Immigration Studies, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29201, USA
Am J Prev Med 44:S225-31. 2013..South Carolina has one of the highest rates of obesity in the nation and, proportionately, more Latino children aged 2-5 years are obese compared to black and white children in the state...
- Written and spoken narratives about health and cancer decision making: a novel application of photovoiceTracey L Thomas
1University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA
Health Promot Pract 14:833-40. 2013..In conclusion, photovoice strengthened the parent study and empowered participants by making them more aware of factors influencing their health decisions. ..
- Maternal obesity, folate intake, and neural tube defects in offspringDaria M McMahon
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 97:115-22. 2013..We also studied relationships between perinatal folate intake from food and the NTD risk by maternal BMI...
- Developing a culturally appropriate preconception health promotion strategy for newly immigrated Latinos through a community-based program in South CarolinaMyriam E Torres
Arnold School of Public Health and Consortium forLatino Immigration Studies, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Am J Health Promot 27:S7-9. 2013..With the input and support of Latino community members, PASOs is pioneering a PCH strategy using its successful model of education, outreach, partnerships and resource navigation...
- Acculturation, physical activity, and obesity among Hispanic adolescentsJihong Liu
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina USC, Columbia, SC, USA
Ethn Health 14:509-25. 2009..Little is known about how acculturation may influence participation in leisure-time physical activity and obesity among adolescents. The objective of this study was to examine these associations among Hispanic adolescents...
- HIV testing among midlife women in the deep south: an analysis of the 2008 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System survey dataLisa T Wigfall
University of South Carolina Arnold School of Public Health, Institute for Partnerships to Eliminate Health Disparities, 220 Stoneridge Drive, Columbia, SC 29210, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 20:933-41. 2011..Some older women and healthcare providers have dismissed early AIDS symptoms as signs of aging. This has resulted in missed opportunities for early initiation of effective antiretroviral therapy...