M S Tockman
Affiliation: University of South Florida
- Computerized analysis of cellular features and biomarkers for cytologic diagnosis of early lung cancerWei Qian
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 29:103-11. 2007..To present a set of novel computerized analysis algorithms to construct a computer-aided cytologic diagnosis (CACD) system to differentiate lung cancer biomarkers and identify cancer cells in the tissue-based specimen images...
- The early detection of occult lung cancerM S Tockman
Department of Oncology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, University of South Florida, Tampa, USA
Chest Surg Clin N Am 10:737-49. 2000..Finally, the larger public health issues of cost and accessibility of lung cancer screening must be considered before these advances in sputum and helical CT screening can reach their potential...
- Expression of early lung cancer detection marker: hnRNP-A2/B1 and its relation to microsatellite alteration in non-small cell lung cancerJ Zhou
Molecular Screening Laboratory, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33613, USA
Lung Cancer 34:341-50. 2001..004). MA of loci on 3p were the only MA statistically associated with hnRNP-A2/B1 message overexpression (P=0.001). We conclude that lung tumor cells undergoing clonal expansion frequently upregulate hnRNP-A2/B1...
- CpG island hypermethylation profiling of lung cancer using restriction landmark genomic scanning (RLGS) analysisJong Park
Division of Cancer Prevention and Controls, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Cancer Biomark 1:193-200. 2005..Among 162 sites of differential DNA methylation, detected from at least one tumor/normal pair, 21 hypermethylated genes were identified that were not reported previously as hypermethylated in lung tumor tissue...
- Polymorphisms in the promoter region of neutrophil elastase gene and lung cancer riskJong Y Park
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Department of Interdisciplinary, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 12902 Magnolia Drive, MRC3047A, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Lung Cancer 48:315-21. 2005..These results confirm that the NE promoter region polymorphisms may influence in risk for lung cancer...
- Polymorphisms for microsomal epoxide hydrolase and genetic susceptibility to COPDJong Y Park
Division of Cancer Prevention and Controls, Molecular Screening Section, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Int J Mol Med 15:443-8. 2005..As expected, a significant correlation between smoking dose and severity of COPD was observed (p<0.001). These results suggest that EH codon 113 polymorphism may modify risk for COPD...
- The human 8-oxoguanine DNA N-glycosylase 1 (hOGG1) DNA repair enzyme and its association with lung cancer riskJong Park
Divisions of Cancer Control and Molecular Oncology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Pharmacogenetics 14:103-9. 2004..The goal of the present study is to determine whether the codon 326 polymorphism was significantly associated with alterations in individual risk for lung cancer...
- Lung cancer: chemoprevention and intermediate effect markersM S Tockman
Molecular Screening, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL, USA
IARC Sci Publ 154:257-70. 2001..These end-points can now be evaluated as monitors of response to chemoprevention as potential intermediate-effect markers...
- Genetic analysis of microsomal epoxide hydrolase gene and its association with lung cancer riskJ Y Park
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, 12902 Magnolia Drive, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Eur J Cancer Prev 14:223-30. 2005..This association was more pronounced among patients with lung adenocarcinoma (OR 4.7, 95% CI 1.7-13.1). These results suggest that the EH polymorphism plays an important role in lung cancer risk and is linked to tobacco smoke exposure...
- Discovery of distinct protein profiles specific for lung tumors and pre-malignant lung lesions by SELDI mass spectrometryTatyana A Zhukov
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, Molecular Screening Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Lung Cancer 40:267-79. 2003..This study identifies specific protein peak patterns in malignant lung tumors, and in pre-malignant airways epithelium showing neoplastic transformation...
- Gene-environment interactions between the codon 194 polymorphism of XRCC1 and antioxidants influence lung cancer riskD Luke Ratnasinghe
Center for Structural Genomics, 3900 NCTR Drive, NCTR, FDA, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
Anticancer Res 23:627-32. 2003..Our results show that Arg194Trp XRCC1 variant modifies the association between serum antioxidants and lung cancer risk...
- Epigenetic down-regulation of death-associated protein kinase in lung cancersShinichi Toyooka
Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research, Department of Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8593, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:3034-41. 2003..Treatment with 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine restored DAPK expression in heavily methylated cell lines tested, and histone deacetylase inhibitor trichostatin A alone restored DAPK expression in some methylated cell lines as well...
- Differential expression of FEZ1/LZTS1 gene in lung cancers and their cell culturesShinichi Toyooka
Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8593, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:2292-7. 2002..Because loss of heterozygosity at 8p21-22 is a frequent event in lung cancers, we studied FEZ1 alteration in short-term cultures of resected lung cancer tumors and cell lines...
- Diagnosis of roentgenographically occult lung cancer by sputum cytologyThomas L Petty
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Clin Chest Med 23:59-64. 2002..Sputum cytology is complementary to CT scanning. Sputum cytology identifies small central lesions, and CT scanning discovers peripheral tiny adenocarcinomas...
- Lung cancer evolution to preinvasive managementJames L Mulshine
Intervention Section, Medicine Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Clin Chest Med 23:37-48. 2002..Further sustained efforts will be required to define the true value of these new approaches through clinical trials as the specialty moves responsibly to routine preventative care of individuals at risk for lung cancer...
- Evaluating serial observations of precancerous lesions for further study as a trigger for early interventionStuart G Baker
Biometry Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, EPN 3131, 6130 Executive Blvd MSC 7354, Bethesda, MD 20892 7354, USA
Stat Med 21:2383-90. 2002..To solve this problem, we propose a Markov chain model in reverse time. The methodology is illustrated using serial observations of precancerous lesions found on sputum cytology...
- Computed tomography screening and lung cancer outcomesPeter B Bach
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
JAMA 297:953-61. 2007..Randomized controlled trials assessing CT screening are currently under way...
- Improbable estimate of lung cancer mortality from screening trialsMelvyn S Tockman
J Clin Oncol 23:2106-7; author reply 2107-8. 2005
- THE BIOMARKER DEVELOPMENT LABORATORY AT MOFFITT (BEDLAM)Melvyn Tockman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Detailed progress of markers through this system will be shared with the NCI-BDL steering committee. ..