Stephen T Tiffany
Affiliation: University of Utah
- The promise and pitfalls of animal and human models of relapse: comment on Leri and Stewart (2002)Stephen T Tiffany
Department of Psychological Sciences, Purdue University, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 10:361-3; discussion 364-6. 2002..Stewart's (2002) model, as of yet, does not meet the standards suggested by these criteria. However, features of this work may prove valuable for informing efforts to develop relapse paradigms in both human and animal research...
- What can dependence theories tell us about assessing the emergence of tobacco dependence?Stephen T Tiffany
University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Addiction 99:78-86. 2004....
- Validation of a liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the detection of nicotine biomarkers in hair and an evaluation of wash procedures for removal of environmental nicotineEleanor I Miller
Center for Human Toxicology, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA
J Anal Toxicol 35:321-32. 2011..In contrast, nicotine-1'-oxide was quantified in one of the three low-level smoker samples; nicotine was quantified in the other two low-level smoker samples. No other analytes were detected in the hair of the three low-level smokers...
- Identification and quantification of nicotine biomarkers in human oral fluid from individuals receiving low-dose transdermal nicotine: a preliminary studyEleanor I Miller
University of Utah, Center for Human Toxicology, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108, USA
J Anal Toxicol 34:357-66. 2010..0 ng/mL provided excellent sensitivity for discrimination of COT-positive post-exposure oral fluid samples collected after low-level transdermal NIC exposure and oral fluid samples collected prior to patch application...
- The PHQ-9 as a brief assessment of lifetime major depressionDale S Cannon
Department of Psychiatry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Psychol Assess 19:247-51. 2007..09, p<.001; was correlated with number of MDE Criterion A symptoms, r(525)=.67, p<.001; and detected MDE Criterion A (AUC=0.88). The PHQ-9 as a lifetime measure may be used to complement or replace more costly interview assessments...
- Evaluation of cue reactivity in the natural environment of smokers using ecological momentary assessmentMatthew W Warthen
Department of Psychology, University of Utah, UT, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 17:70-7. 2009..This pattern was also observed in the laboratory-based trials. Findings indicate that CREMA is well suited for the investigation of cue-elicited craving under real-world conditions...
- On the nature of nicotine addiction: a taxometric analysisKatherine C Goedeker
Department of Psychological Sciences, Purdue University, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 117:896-909. 2008..Thus, these smoking variables may have both a categorical and a dimensional structure...
- A novel validated procedure for the determination of nicotine, eight nicotine metabolites and two minor tobacco alkaloids in human plasma or urine by solid-phase extraction coupled with liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization-tandem mass spectrometrEleanor I Miller
University of Utah, Center for Human Toxicology, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 878:725-37. 2010..The urine procedure has been used to facilitate the monitoring of unauthorized tobacco use by clinical study participants at the time of physical examination (before enrollment) and on the pharmacokinetic study day...
- Tobacco-induced neurotoxicity of adolescent cognitive development (TINACD): a proposed model for the development of impulsivity in nicotine dependenceSpencer C DeBry
University of Utah Department of Psychiatry, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 10:11-25. 2008..The model proposes that the neurotoxic effects of tobacco are most pronounced when smoking begins during early adolescence, a period of major neurodevelopment subserving inhibitory control...
- Neural substrates of resisting craving during cigarette cue exposureArthur L Brody
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles, 300 UCLA Medical Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:642-51. 2007..We sought to determine changes in brain activity in response to cigarette cues when smokers actively resist craving...
- Smoking in college freshmen: University Project of the Tobacco Etiology Research Network (U pTERN)Stephen T Tiffany
University of Buffalo, SUNY, Department of Psychology, 368 Park Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260 4110, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:S611-25. 2007....
- Gender differences in affective response to acute nicotine administration and deprivationJason D Robinson
Department of Behavioral Science, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, P O Box 301439, Unit 1330, Houston, TX 77230, USA
Addict Behav 32:543-61. 2007..The startle results suggest that both men and women are responsive to the hedonic properties of nicotine...
- Effect of sustained-release (SR) bupropion on craving and withdrawal in smokers deprived of cigarettes for 72 hVincenzo Teneggi
GlaxoSmithKline, Via A Fleming N 4, Verona 37135, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 183:1-12. 2005..Sustained-release (SR) bupropion enhances quit rates of smokers, generally decreases tobacco withdrawal, and in some studies, reduces craving...
- Introduction to concepts and measurement of the emergence of tobacco dependence: The Tobacco Etiology Research NetworkCynthia A Conklin
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Addiction 99:1-4. 2004
- Using the cue-availability paradigm to assess cue reactivityDena Davidson
Department of Psychiatry, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27:1251-6. 2003..The cue-availability paradigm is a modification of the conventional cue-reactivity paradigm and is intended to increase the sensitivity of measuring cue-reactivity to alcohol in humans...
- Smokers deprived of cigarettes for 72 h: effect of nicotine patches on craving and withdrawalVincenzo Teneggi
GlaxoSmithKline SpA, Medicine Research Centre, Via A Fleming N 4, 37135 Verona, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 164:177-87. 2002..Research on the effects of nicotine abstinence and nicotine replacement has not provided consistent information about the impact of replacement therapies on tobacco withdrawal and craving...
- Cue-exposure treatment: time for changeCynthia A Conklin
Addiction 97:1219-21. 2002