Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Permanent improvement in deficient sensory inhibition in DBA/2 mice with increased perinatal cholineKaren E Stevens
Medical Research, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 1055 Clermont Avenue, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 198:413-20. 2008..Increasing maternal dietary choline, a selective alpha7 agonist, during gestation has been shown to produce long-term changes in adult offspring behavior (i.e., improved learning and memory in rats)...
- Input dysfunction, schizotypy, and genetic models of schizophreniaRobert Freedman
Department of Psychiatry and Pharmacology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Campus Box C 268 71, 4200 E Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Schizophr Res 54:25-32. 2002..Thus, as predicted by Venables, the substrates of schizotypy and schizophrenia may arise from variants in normal brain function...
- Initial phase 2 trial of a nicotinic agonist in schizophreniaRobert Freedman
Department of Psychiatry, Denver VA Medical Center and University of Colorado, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:1040-7. 2008..The agent 3-(2,4-dimethoxybenzylidene) anabaseine (DMXB-A) is a partial alpha(7)-nicotinic agonist and can be taken orally. A phase 1 trial showed evidence for cognitive enhancement in schizophrenia...
- An initial animal proof-of-concept study for central administration of clozapine to schizophrenia patientsDaniel J Abrams
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, United States
Schizophr Res 100:86-96. 2008....
- Treating schizophrenia symptoms with an alpha7 nicotinic agonist, from mice to menAnn Olincy
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 74:1192-201. 2007..These data suggest that therapeutic agents selected for alpha7 nicotinic activity may have utility in treating certain symptoms of schizophrenia...
- Evidence for a role of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in schizophreniaCatherine E Adams
Department of Psychiatry, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Front Biosci 12:4755-72. 2007..The initial results from clinical trials of these new drugs appear promising, potentially opening new avenues of treatment for this devastating disease...
- Nootropic alpha7 nicotinic receptor allosteric modulator derived from GABAA receptor modulatorsHerman J Ng
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:8059-64. 2007..Compound 6 represents a chemotype for allosteric activation of alpha7 nAChRs, with therapeutic potential in CNS diseases with cognitive dysfunction...
- Proof-of-concept trial of an alpha7 nicotinic agonist in schizophreniaAnn Olincy
Department of Veterans Affairs Schizophrenia Research Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:630-8. 2006....
- Tropisetron improves deficient inhibitory auditory processing in DBA/2 mice: role of alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsKenji Hashimoto
Division of Clinical Neuroscience, Chiba University Center for Forensic Mental Health, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chiba, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 183:13-9. 2005..Similar to schizophrenic patients, DBA/2 mice spontaneously exhibit a deficit in inhibitory processing of the P20-N40 auditory evoked potential, which is thought to be a rodent analog of the human P50 auditory evoked potential...
- Early biomarkers of psychosisRobert Freedman
Department of Psychiatry C 268 71, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 7:17-29. 2005..Examples are given from work on the role of the alpha(T)nicotinic receptor and its gene CHRNA7 on chromosome 15 in the neurobiology and genetic transmission of schizophrenia...
- Tropisetron improves deficits in auditory P50 suppression in schizophreniaKaori Koike
Department of Psychiatry, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Schizophr Res 76:67-72. 2005..These data are consistent with biological activity at a pathophysiological mechanism in schizophrenia and support further trials of this drug as a possible therapeutic for neurocognitive deficits in schizophrenia...
- Lithium alters measures of auditory gating in two strains of miceHeidi C O'Neill
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, C268 71, 4200 East 9th Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:847-53. 2003..Lithium has been used to treat psychosis acutely in both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. An animal model was used to assess the effects of lithium treatment on normal and deficient auditory gating...
- DMXB, an alpha7 nicotinic agonist, normalizes auditory gating in isolation-reared ratsHeidi C O'Neill
Department of Psychiatry C268 71, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East 9th Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 169:332-9. 2003..3-(2,4)-Dimethoxybenzylidine anabaseine (DMXB; also known as GTS-21) is such an agonist and has shown efficacy in mice both orally and intraperitoneally...
- The genetics of sensory gating deficits in schizophreniaRobert Freedman
Departments of Psychiatry and Pharmacology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, C 268 71, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 5:155-61. 2003..Polymorphisms in the core promoter of the gene are associated with schizophrenia and also with diminished inhibition of the P50 response. These genetic data may identify a new pathophysiologic target for drug discovery...
- Clozapine improves deficient inhibitory auditory processing in DBA/2 mice, via a nicotinic cholinergic mechanismJohanna K Simosky
Department of Pharmacology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Campus Box C268 71, 4200 East 9th Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 165:386-96. 2003..The atypical antipsychotic clozapine also normalizes this deficit in schizophrenia patients, but by an unknown mechanism...
- Stimulation of the alpha4beta2 nicotinic receptor by 5-I A-85380 improves auditory gating in DBA/2 miceKristin M Wildeboer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Brain Res 1224:29-36. 2008..Thus, the present study implicates the involvement of more than one subtype of nAChR in the auditory gating of DBA/2 mice, specifically the alpha4beta2 nAChR, and its role in the response amplitude to the first stimulus...
- Convergence and divergence in the neurochemical regulation of prepulse inhibition of startle and N40 suppression in ratsNeal R Swerdlow
Department of Psychiatry, UCSD School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA 92093 0804, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:506-15. 2006..Despite similarities in drug sensitivity, these results suggest that distinct neurobiological mechanisms underlie drug-induced deficits in PPI and N40 gating...
- GENETIC LINKAGE OF AUDITORY GATINGKaren Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2001..Such information could be important in understanding of the etiology of the disorder and in determining future therapeutic interventions. ..
- Gestational Choline Levels and Sensory InhibitionKaren Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2008..The data from these studies may potentially impact guide lines for human prenatal nutrition in at-risk pregnancies for schizophrenia. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..