Affiliation: University of Utah
- Utility of long-term surveillance endomyocardial biopsy: a multi-institutional analysisJ Stehlik
Cardiology Section, University of Utah School of Medicine, VA Salt Lake City Health Care System, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 25:1402-9. 2006..This study was undertaken to identify risk factors for late rejection and to examine the impact of different biopsy surveillance protocols on outcomes using the registry of the Cardiac Transplant Research Database...
- Early screening for antibody-mediated rejection in heart transplant recipientsAbdallah G Kfoury
LDS Hospital and Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City, Utah 84143, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 26:1264-9. 2007..In this study, we examine whether a pattern of repetitive AMR occurred early enough after transplantation to warrant prospective immunohistochemistry screening in all recently transplanted recipients...
- ISHLT International Registry for Heart and Lung Transplantation - three decades of scientific contributionsJosef Stehlik
Division of Cardiology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Transplant Rev (Orlando) 27:38-42. 2013..This manuscript describes the logistics of the Registry's operations, its goals and future directions...
- Morbidity and mortality in heart transplant candidates supported with mechanical circulatory support: is reappraisal of the current United network for organ sharing thoracic organ allocation policy justified?Omar Wever-Pinzon
U T A H Cardiac Transplant Program, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Circulation 127:452-62. 2013..Survival of patients on left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) has improved. We examined the differences in risk of adverse outcomes between LVAD-supported and medically managed candidates on the heart transplant waiting list...
- Interactions among donor characteristics influence post-transplant survival: a multi-institutional analysisJosef Stehlik
Utah Transplant Affiliated Hospitals U T A H Cardiac Transplant Program, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 29:291-8. 2010..Quantification of donor-associated risk in a specific heart transplant recipient is often difficult. Our aim was to identify donor characteristics that affect survival in the contemporary era...
- Utility of virtual crossmatch in sensitized patients awaiting heart transplantationJosef Stehlik
U T A H Cardiac Transplant Program, University of Utah Hospital, and VA Salt Lake City Health Care System Cardiology Section, 500 Foothill Blvd, Salt Lake City, UT 84148, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 28:1129-34. 2009..This study examined the accuracy of virtual crossmatch, in which recipient HLA-specific antibodies, identified by solid-phase assays, are compared to the prospective donor HLA-type in heart transplantation...
- Combined use of PDE5 inhibitors and nitrates in the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension in patients with heart failureJosef Stehlik
Cardiology Section, VA Salt Lake City Health Care System, Salt Lake City, UT 84148, USA
J Card Fail 15:31-4. 2009..The use of additional vasodilators to further reduce pulmonary vascular resistance is often accompanied by unacceptable reductions in systemic arterial pressure...
- Inhibitors of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 3 and 5 as therapeutic agents in heart failureJosef Stehlik
University of Utah School of Medicine, Cardiology Section, VA Salt Lake City Healthcare System, 500 Foothill Boulevard, Salt Lake City, UT 84117, USA
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 15:733-42. 2006..Recent studies also suggest that PDE5 inhibitors may have antihypertropic effects, exerted through increased myocardial cGMP signalling, that could be of additional benefit in patients with heart failure...
- Immune function surveillance: association with rejection, infection and cardiac allograft vasculopathyN M Heikal
ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Transplant Proc 45:376-82. 2013..The aim of this study was to evaluate the immune function and assess its utility in predicting rejection, CAV, and infection in heart transplantation recipients...
- Impact of donor cause of death on transplant outcomes: UNOS registry analysisA K Singhal
Department of Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Transplant Proc 41:3539-44. 2009..In summary, this multi-institutional study confirms that DCOD is a modest predictor of survival and rejection of solid organ allografts of different types...
- Impact of donor left ventricular hypertrophy on survival after heart transplantO Wever Pinzon
UTAH Cardiac Transplant Program, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Am J Transplant 11:2755-61. 2011..However, the use of allografts with LVH in association with other high-risk characteristics may result in increased mortality...
- Noninvasive diagnosis of cardiac allograft rejection using echocardiography indices of systolic and diastolic functionF M Bader
Division of Cardiology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Transplant Proc 43:3877-81. 2011..The purpose of our study was to evaluate various systolic and diastolic indices, including newer tissue Doppler imaging techniques, in diagnosing cardiac allograft rejection...
- Effect of blood product transfusion-induced tolerance on incidence of cardiac allograft rejectionJ R Kotter
Utah Transplantation Affiliated Hospitals, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, 84132, USA
Transplant Proc 42:2687-92. 2010..Blood product transfusion has been successfully used in solid-organ transplantation to induce tolerance. Whether a similar protective effect of blood product transfusion exists in heart transplantation is controversial...
- Ventricular assist devices: pharmacological aspects of a mechanical therapyO Wever-Pinzon
Divisions of Cardiology and Molecular Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Pharmacol Ther 134:189-99. 2012..Areas of uncertainty and ground for future research are also highlighted...
- Impact of repetitive episodes of antibody-mediated or cellular rejection on cardiovascular mortality in cardiac transplant recipients: defining rejection patternsAbdallah G Kfoury
LDS Hospital, Intermountain Health Care, Salt Lake City, Utah 84143, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 25:1277-82. 2006..The current retrospective analysis was done to determine whether our previous criteria for pattern designations provided the greatest degree of discrimination between AMR and CR...
- Long-term outcomes of cardiac transplantation for peri-partum cardiomyopathy: a multiinstitutional analysisKismet D Rasmusson
UTAH Cardiac Transplant Program, LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah 84143, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 26:1097-104. 2007..Outcomes of patients with a prior diagnosis of peri-partum cardiomyopathy (PPCM) undergoing heart transplantation are not well described but may be worse than for women who undergo transplantation for other etiologies...
- Utility of histologic parameters in screening for antibody-mediated rejection of the cardiac allograft: a study of 3,170 biopsiesM Elizabeth H Hammond
Department of Pathology, LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah 84143, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 24:2015-21. 2005..The aim of this study was to determine whether VASC and ENDO are adequate to act as screening parameters to trigger further AMR investigation...