Affiliation: University of Vermont
- Sexually transmitted infection control with sex workers: regular screening and presumptive treatment augment efforts to reduce risk and vulnerabilityRichard Steen
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Reprod Health Matters 11:74-90. 2003..Effective preventive and curative STI services for sex workers are key to the control of sexually transmitted infections, including HIV, and are highly synergistic with other HIV prevention efforts...
- Sexually transmitted infections: prevention and managementDenis Jackson
HIV AIDS Institute, Family Health International, 2101 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 700, Arlington, VA 22201, USA
Clin Occup Environ Med 4:167-88. 2004..Numerous publications exist to help program managers navigate these issues and appropriately tailor a program to the needs of individual organizations. Some of these publications are listed in the next section...
- The use of epidemiologic mass treatment and syndrome management for sexually transmitted disease controlR Steen
Family Health International, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Sex Transm Dis 26:S12-20; discussion S21-2. 1999..The former is a population-based intervention, whereas the latter attempts to improve the quality and efficiency of clinic-based STD case management...
- Intrauterine contraceptive devices and risk of pelvic inflammatory disease: standard of care in high STI prevalence settingsRichard Steen
Reprod Health Matters 12:136-43. 2004..Even with safe insertion, IUD promotion in areas of high STI/HIV prevalence must address women's needs for dual protection from infection and unwanted pregnancy...
- Genital ulcer disease control and HIV preventionRichard Steen
Chenim de la Boisserette, 11 Geneva 1208, Switzerland
J Clin Virol 29:143-51. 2004
- Eradicating chancroidR Steen
Family Health International, 2101 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 700, Arlington, VA 22201, USA
Bull World Health Organ 79:818-26. 2001..Protecting sex workers and their clients from exposure to sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and improving curative services for STDs are among the proven strategies that could be employed...
- Evidence of declining STD prevalence in a South African mining community following a core-group interventionR Steen
AIDSCAP Family Health International, Nairobi, Kenya
Sex Transm Dis 27:1-8. 2000....
- STI declines among sex workers and clients following outreach, one time presumptive treatment, and regular screening of sex workers in the PhilippinesT Wi
Family Health International, USA
Sex Transm Infect 82:386-91. 2006....
- Antibiotic chemoprophylaxis and HIV infection in Kenyan sex workersRichard Steen
JAMA 292:921; author reply 921-2. 2004
- Harm reduction for sex workersSmarajit Jana
Lancet 367:814. 2006
- The prevention and management of congenital syphilis: an overview and recommendationsHaroon Saloojee
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Bull World Health Organ 82:424-30. 2004..This paper offers recommendations for treating infants, including an approach based solely on maternal serological status and clinical signs of syphilis in the infant...
- Control of bacterial sexually transmitted diseases in the developing world is possibleGeorge Schmid
Clin Infect Dis 41:1313-5. 2005