Affiliation: University of California
- Waist-hip-ratio as a predictor of all-cause mortality in high-functioning older adultsPreethi Srikanthan
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Ann Epidemiol 19:724-31. 2009..We assessed the relationship between three measures of obesity and all-cause mortality in a group of healthy older adults...
- Relative muscle mass is inversely associated with insulin resistance and prediabetes. Findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveyPreethi Srikanthan
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 1679, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:2898-903. 2011..Insulin resistance, the basis of type 2 diabetes, is rapidly increasing in prevalence; very low muscle mass is a risk factor for insulin resistance...
- Relation of Muscle Mass and Fat Mass to Cardiovascular Disease MortalityPreethi Srikanthan
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California Electronic address
Am J Cardiol 117:1355-60. 2016..This suggests the importance of body composition assessment in the prediction of cardiovascular and total mortality in patients with CVD. ..
- Muscle mass index as a predictor of longevity in older adultsPreethi Srikanthan
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, Calif Electronic address
Am J Med 127:547-53. 2014..However, total body mass includes fat and muscle, which have different metabolic effects. This study was designed to test the hypothesis that greater muscle mass in older adults is associated with lower all-cause mortality...
- Sarcopenia exacerbates obesity-associated insulin resistance and dysglycemia: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey IIIPreethi Srikanthan
Division of Gerontology, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e10805. 2010..We performed a study to determine whether sarcopenia is associated with impairment in insulin sensitivity and glucose homeostasis in obese and non-obese individuals...
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome: the next cardiovascular dilemma in women?Preethi Srikanthan
Department of Epidemiology and Preventative Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Box 957065, 330 South Garfield Avenue, Suite 308, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 35:611-31, x. 2006....
- An obesity paradox in acute heart failure: analysis of body mass index and inhospital mortality for 108,927 patients in the Acute Decompensated Heart Failure National RegistryGregg C Fonarow
Ahmanson University of California Los Angeles Cardiomyopathy Center, University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Am Heart J 153:74-81. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine whether BMI influences the mortality risk in acute decompensated HF, a subject not previously studied...
- Insulin resistance and bone strength: findings from the study of midlife in the United StatesPreethi Srikanthan
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Bone Miner Res 29:796-803. 2014..Although cross-sectional associations do not prove causality, our findings do suggest that insulin resistance and in particular, hyperinsulinemia, may negatively affect bone strength relative to load...
- Diabetes and femoral neck strength: findings from the Hip Strength Across the Menopausal Transition StudyShinya Ishii
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:190-7. 2012..Diabetes mellitus is associated with increased hip fracture risk, despite being associated with higher bone mineral density in the femoral neck...
- Preventing heart failure in patients with diabetesPreethi Srikanthan
University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7073, USA
Med Clin North Am 88:1237-56. 2004..A discussion of these contributive pathologies and the hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia that underlie them is the subject of this review. Treatment methodologies to control the development of such pathology also are discussed...
- Diabetic cardiomyopathyGregg C Fonarow
Ahmanson UCLA Cardiomyopathy Center, UCLA Division of Cardiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 10833 LeConte Avenue, Room BH407, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 35:575-99, ix. 2006..Diabetic cardiomyopathy and to apply proven lifesaving therapies in all heart failure patients, including those with diabetes, in the absence of contraindications or intolerance...