Affiliation: University of Vermont
- Selection of contrast mediaR Solomon
Renal Division, Fletcher Allen Health Care, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05401, USA
Kidney Int Suppl . 2006..In this section, we focus on the CM itself. Aspects of importance with regard to CIN include the route of administration, the volume of CM, the manner of X-ray attenuation, and the specific chemical structure of the CM...
- Follow-up of patients with contrast-induced nephropathyR Solomon
Fletcher Allen Health Care, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05401, USA
Kidney Int Suppl . 2006..Finally, we discuss the steps that should be taken in those who do develop CIN to limit the impact of the injury and protect them from future adverse events...
- Randomized Trial of Bicarbonate or Saline Study for the Prevention of Contrast-Induced Nephropathy in Patients with CKDRichard Solomon
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont Medical Center, Burlington, Vermont
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 10:1519-24. 2015..Sodium bicarbonate has been proposed for protection of the kidney from contrast-induced AKI (CIAKI). However, the effects of bicarbonate on long-term important clinical outcomes are uncertain...
- Contrast media: are there differences in nephrotoxicity among contrast media?Richard Solomon
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Biomed Res Int 2014:934947. 2014..In this review, the basis for our current understanding that there are little if any differences in nephrotoxic potential between low and isosmolar contrast media will be detailed using data from clinical studies...
- Forced diuresis with the RenalGuard system: impact on contrast induced acute kidney injuryRichard Solomon
University of Vermont College of Medicine, USA Fletcher Allen Health Care, USA Electronic address
J Cardiol 63:9-13. 2014..In this review; the mechanism of protective action is reviewed. The trials of the RenalGuard device are reviewed and future uses of the device are discussed. ..
- Increased platelet expression of FcGammaRIIa and its potential impact on platelet reactivity in patients with end stage renal diseaseFeliciano A Serrano
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Thromb J 5:7. 2007..To determine whether expression of FcGammaRIIA impacts platelet reactivity we quantified its expression and platelet reactivity in 33 patients with ESRD who were undergoing hemodialysis...
- The role of osmolality in the incidence of contrast-induced nephropathy: a systematic review of angiographic contrast media in high risk patientsRichard Solomon
Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Kidney Int 68:2256-63. 2005....
- Contrast-induced acute kidney injury (CIAKI)Richard Solomon
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont School of Medicine, 1 South Prospect Street, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 47:783-8, v. 2009..After discussion of the reported incidence of CIAKI, an approach to prevention is briefly reviewed...
- Contrast-induced nephropathy and long-term adverse events: cause and effect?Richard J Solomon
Department of Renal Services, Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:1162-9. 2009..The relationship of contrast-induced nephropathy (CIN) to long-term adverse events (AEs) is controversial. Although an association with AEs has been previously reported, it is unclear whether CIN is causally related to these AEs...
- Preventing contrast-induced nephropathy: problems, challenges and future directionsRichard Solomon
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT 05405 0068, USA
BMC Med 7:24. 2009..In this commentary, the pathogenesis and clinical relevance of contrast-induced nephropathy are reviewed. Prophylactic strategies are discussed with a focus on the use of meta-analysis of small single-center trials...
- Contrast-induced nephropathy: update with special emphasis on patients with diabetesRichard Solomon
Fletcher Allen Health Care, University of Vermont School of Medicine, UHC 2309, 1 South Prospect Street, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Curr Diab Rep 7:454-8. 2007..There have been few new insights into pathogenesis; despite multiple strategies aimed at prophylaxis, very few have proven efficacious. This article reviews our current knowledge regarding CIN, with emphasis on patients with diabetes...
- Defining acute kidney injury: what is the most appropriate metric?Richard Solomon
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Fletcher Allen Health Care at the University of Vermont College of Medicine, VT, USA
Nat Clin Pract Nephrol 4:208-15. 2008..In this article we discuss the limitations and pitfalls of using serum markers to define AKI, and offer some suggestions for the future...
- Cardiac Angiography in Renally Impaired Patients (CARE) study: a randomized double-blind trial of contrast-induced nephropathy in patients with chronic kidney diseaseRichard J Solomon
Department of Renal Services, Fletcher Allen Health Care, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Circulation 115:3189-96. 2007..No direct comparisons exist of the renal tolerability of the low-osmolality contrast medium iopamidol with that of the iso-osmolality contrast medium iodixanol in high-risk patients...
- Contrast media and nephropathy: findings from systematic analysis and Food and Drug Administration reports of adverse effectsRichard Solomon
University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Invest Radiol 41:651-60. 2006..Recent studies suggest differences in the incidence of contrast-induced nephropathy (CIN) among contrast media (CM)...
- N-acetylcysteine effect on serum creatinine and cystatin C levels in CKD patientsTariq Rehman
Division of Nephrology, Fletcher Allen Health Care and University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:1610-4. 2008..This confounding effect of N-acetylcysteine on serum creatinine has not been rigorously tested, however, in a population at risk for CIN and following doses of NAC currently recommended for prophylaxis of CIN...
- Telmisartan is more effective than losartan in reducing proteinuria in patients with diabetic nephropathyGeorge Bakris
Department of Medicine, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kidney Int 74:364-9. 2008..We conclude that telmisartan is superior to losartan in reducing proteinuria in hypertensive patients with diabetic nephropathy, despite a similar reduction in blood pressure...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of calcium acetate on serum phosphorus concentrations in patients with advanced non-dialysis-dependent chronic kidney diseaseWajeh Qunibi
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
BMC Nephrol 12:9. 2011..This trial was conducted to examine the efficacy and safety of calcium acetate in controlling serum phosphorus in pre-dialysis patients with CKD...
- Attenuation of platelet reactivity by enoxaparin compared with unfractionated heparin in patients undergoing haemodialysisAtul Aggarwal
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:1559-63. 2004..Because both haemodialysis and unfractionated heparin (UFH) can increase platelet reactivity, we compared platelet reactivity during haemodialysis when patients were anticoagulated with UFH or enoxaparin...