Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Modifiable risk and protective factors for depressive symptoms in low-income African American mothersKristine Siefert
Research Center on Poverty, Risk, and Mental Health, School of Social Work, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 77:113-23. 2007..These findings support the need for interventions that operate across individual and societal levels to address the fundamental causes of poor mental health...
- Improving pregnancy outcome during imprisonment: a model residential care programK Siefert
School of Social Work, University of Michigan, 1080 South University, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1106, USA
Soc Work 46:125-34. 2001..Social workers can play an important role in promoting policy reform and improved services for this underserved population...
- Food insufficiency and physical and mental health in a longitudinal survey of welfare recipientsKristine Siefert
NIMH Research Center on Poverty, Risk, and Mental Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1106, USA
J Health Soc Behav 45:171-86. 2004..Food insufficiency at both times and in 1998 only was related to women's sense of mastery. These findings add to growing evidence that household food insufficiency is associated with poor physical and mental health...
- Using tobit regression analysis to further understand the association of youth alcohol problems with depression and parental factors among Korean adolescent femalesJorge Delva
Young Again Adult Day Health Care Center, 1080 South University Avenue, 2743 SSWB, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Prev Med Public Health 40:145-9. 2007..This study characterized the extent to which youth depressive symptoms, parental alcohol problems, and parental drinking account for differences in alcohol-related problems among a large sample of adolescent females...
- Correlates of cigarette smoking among low-income African American womenJorge Delva
School of Social Work, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, P O Box 1248, 426 Thompson St, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 1248, USA
Ethn Dis 16:527-33. 2006..This study examines individual and contextual correlates of cigarette smoking in a randomly selected, community-based sample of low-income African American women...
- Cigarette smoking among low-income African Americans: a serious public health problemJorge Delva
School of Social Work, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
Am J Prev Med 29:218-20. 2005..This study examines the current prevalence of cigarette smoking and the number of cigarettes smoked in a community-based sample of 1021 low-income African-American men and women...
- The health of poor women under welfare reformGeorge A Kaplan
Center for Social Epidemiology and Population Health, 1214 S University Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1252-8. 2005..We compared the health of single mothers affected by welfare reform with the health of a nationally representative sample of women to document the prevalence of poor health as single mothers experience the effects of welfare reform...
- Food insufficiency and the physical and mental health of low-income womenK Siefert
NIMH Research Center on Poverty, Risk, and Mental Health, The University of Michigan, School of Social Work, Ann Arbor, 48104 2210, USA
Women Health 32:159-77. 2001..Although the cross-sectional design of this study precludes causal inference, these findings add to a growing body of evidence that food insufficiency is associated with serious adverse physical and mental health consequences...
- Maternal bisphenol-A levels at delivery: a looming problem?V Padmanabhan
Department of Pediatrics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0404, USA
J Perinatol 28:258-63. 2008..The objective was to determine whether bisphenol-A (BPA) is found in maternal circulation of pregnant women in the US population and is related to gestational length and birth weight...
- Nonfamilial roles of alcoholic women in treatmentE S Gomberg
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48108 3318, USA
Women Health 29:73-88. 1999..The lives of alcoholic women include more than their familial roles. More attention to issues of education, employment, and occupational status on the part of health care providers is needed...
- Maternal depressive symptoms, depression, and psychiatric medication use in relation to risk of preterm deliveryAmelia R Gavin
School of Social Work, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98105, USA
Womens Health Issues 19:325-34. 2009..This study examined the associations among maternal depression, measured in several ways, psychiatric medication use in pregnancy, and preterm delivery (PTD)...
- A systematic review of mammography educational interventions for low-income womenTatiana M Bailey
School of Dentistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Am J Health Promot 20:96-107. 2005..We conducted a systematic review to examine the effectiveness of educational interventions in increasing mammography screening among low-income women...
- Maternal self-efficacy and 1-5-year-old children's brushing habitsTracy L Finlayson
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality AHRQ, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 35:272-81. 2007..This study investigates the relationships between maternal cognitive, behavioral, and psychosocial factors and brushing practices in low-income African-American preschool children...
- Psychosocial factors and early childhood caries among low-income African-American children in DetroitTracy L Finlayson
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 35:439-48. 2007....
- Food insufficiency and women's mental health: findings from a 3-year panel of welfare recipientsColleen M Heflin
Martin School of Public Policy, University of Kentucky, 429 POT, Lexington, KY 40503, USA
Soc Sci Med 61:1971-82. 2005....
- Reliability and validity of brief measures of oral health-related knowledge, fatalism, and self-efficacy in mothers of African American childrenTracy L Finlayson
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Pediatr Dent 27:422-8. 2005....