Suzanne M Schneider
Affiliation: University of New Mexico
- Treadmill exercise within lower body negative pressure protects leg lean tissue mass and extensor strength and endurance during bed restSuzanne M Schneider
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Physiol Rep 4:. 2016..Individuals who are stronger, have higher levels of muscular endurance, and/or have greater LLM are likely to experience greater losses during BR than those who are less fit. ..
- Lower-body negative-pressure exercise and bed-rest-mediated orthostatic intoleranceSuzanne M Schneider
Department of Human Performance and Development, University of New Mexico, Johnson Center, Room 126, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 34:1446-53. 2002..Supine, moderate exercise is ineffective in maintaining orthostatic tolerance after bed rest (BR). Our purpose was to test the hypothesis that adding an orthostatic stress during exercise would maintain orthostatic function after BR...
- WISE-2005: exercise and nutrition countermeasures for upright VO2pk during bed restSuzanne M Schneider
Department of Health, Exercise and Sports Sciences, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 41:2165-76. 2009..Further, we hypothesized that ingestion of an amino acid supplement that was shown previously to counteract muscle atrophy, would reduce the decline in VO2pk in nonexercising subjects during BR...
- Training with the International Space Station interim resistive exercise deviceSuzanne M Schneider
NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:1935-45. 2003..A unique, interim elastomer-based resistive exercise device (iRED) is being used on the International Space Station...
- LBNP exercise protects aerobic capacity and sprint speed of female twins during 30 days of bed restStuart M C Lee
Cardiovascular Laboratory, Wyle Integrated Science and Engineering Group, Houston, Texas, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:919-28. 2009..We conclude that treadmill exercise within LBNP protects against BR-induced reductions in Vo(2peak) and sprint speed in women and should prove effective during long-duration spaceflight...
- Lower body negative pressure exercise plus brief postexercise lower body negative pressure improve post-bed rest orthostatic toleranceDonald E Watenpaugh
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 103:1964-72. 2007..Together with our earlier related studies, these ground-based results support spaceflight evaluation of postexercise orthostatic stress as a time-efficient countermeasure against postflight orthostatic intolerance...
- Palm cooling does not reduce heat strain during exercise in a hot, dry environmentFabiano T Amorim
Department of Health, Exercise, and Sport Sciences, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 35:480-9. 2010..05). HR was not different among conditions during the second bout. The RTX was not effective in slowing the development of hyperthermia...
- Supine LBNP exercise maintains exercise capacity in male twins during 30-d bed restStuart M C Lee
Wyle Laboratories, Inc, Life Sciences Group, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:1315-26. 2007..Previously, we have documented that supine treadmill exercise within lower-body negative pressure (LBNP(ex)) maintains upright exercise responses in men after 5 and 15 d of bed rest, as a simulation of microgravity...
- Foot-ground reaction force during resistive exercise in parabolic flightStuart M C Lee
Wyle Laboratories, Life Sciences Systems and Services, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 75:405-12. 2004..The purpose of this project was to compare foot-ground reaction force during iRED exercise in normal gravity (1 G) vs. microgravity (0 G) achieved during parabolic flight...
- The effect of the rate of heat storage on serum heat shock protein 72 in humansFabiano T Amorim
Department of Health, Exercise and Sport Sciences, Johnson Center B143, MSC 04 2610, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 104:965-72. 2008..25 +/- 0.73 to 2.23 +/- 0.70 ng ml(-1), HS 1.04 +/- 0.57 to 2.02 +/- 0.60 ng ml(-1)). This result suggests that eHsp72 is a function of the core temperature attained rather than the rate of heat storage...
- Palm cooling delays fatigue during high-intensity bench press exerciseYoung Sub Kwon
Department of Health, Exercise and Sports Sciences, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 87131 0001, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 42:1557-65. 2010..Local cooling can induce an ergogenic effect during a short-term intense exercise. One proposed method of personal cooling involves heat extraction from the palm...
- Effect of dietary sodium on fluid/electrolyte regulation during bed restW Jon Williams
Wyle Laboratories Life Sciences, Systems and Services, Houston, TX, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 74:37-46. 2003..A negative fluid balance during bed rest (BR) is accompanied by decreased plasma volume (PV) which contributes to cardiovascular deconditioning...
- Role of skin blood flow and sweating rate in exercise thermoregulation after bed restStuart M C Lee
Wyle Laboratories, Life Sciences Systems and Services Division, Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas 77058, USA
J Appl Physiol 92:2026-34. 2002..42 +/- 0.06 vs. 0.44 +/- 0.08 kg) were not changed. The higher resting and exercise T(in) and delayed onset of SBF and SR suggest a centrally mediated elevation in the thermoregulatory set point during bed rest exposure...
- Impaired orthostatic response in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus after 48 hours of bed restSuzanne M Schneider
Department of Health, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 0001, USA
Endocr Pract 15:104-10. 2009..To compare the effect of bed rest on orthostatic responses of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and nondiabetic control subjects...
- Palm Cooling and Heating Delays Fatigue During Resistance Exercise in WomenYoung S Kwon
1Department of Kinesiology and Recreation Administration, Humboldt State University, Arcata, California 2School of Human Movement Studies, Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, Australia 3Department of Health, Exercise, and Sports Sciences, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico and 4Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
J Strength Cond Res 29:2261-9. 2015..This ergogenic response to a peripheral sensory input is consistent with the central governor theory of muscular fatigue...
- Palm cooling to reduce heat strain in subjects during simulated armoured vehicle transportMatthew R Kuennen
Exercise Physiology Laboratory, Department of Health, Exercise and Sports Sciences, University of New Mexico, MSC 04 2610, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 108:1217-23. 2010..Maximal heat extraction averaged 42 (12 W), and core temperature was reduced by 0.38 (0.21 degrees C) after 50 min of PC. Heat extraction with PC was modest compared to other cooling approaches in the literature...
- Effect of heat acclimation on heat shock protein 72 and interleukin-10 in humansPaulette M Yamada
Department of Physical Performance and Development, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 103:1196-204. 2007..The sustained elevation of HSP72 from days 6 to 10 may be evidence of a cellular adaptation to HA that contributes to improved heat tolerance and reduced heat illness risk...
- The effect of 10 days of heat acclimation on exercise performance in acute hypobaric hypoxia (4350 m)Ailish C White
Department of Kinesiology, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, CA, USA Department of Health, Exercise, and Sports Sciences, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Temperature (Austin) 3:176-85. 2016..These findings do not clearly support the use of HA to improve exercise capacity and performance upon acute hypobaric hypoxia, however they do indicate that HA is not detrimental to either exercise capacity or performance. ..
- Effect of local cooling on short-term, intense exerciseYoung S Kwon
Department of Kinesiology, Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas, USA
J Strength Cond Res 27:2046-54. 2013....
- Preliminary results: Effect of whole-body cooling in patients with myasthenia gravisChristine M Mermier
Exercise Physiology Laboratories, Division of Physical Performance and Development, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:13-20. 2006..Local muscle cooling has been shown to reduce symptoms in some neuromuscular diseases...
- Space exercise and Earth benefitsBrandon R Macias
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Diego, 350 Dickinson Street, Suite 121, San Diego, CA 92103 8894, USA
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 6:305-17. 2005..Finally, LBPP exercise as a rehabilitation device is examined with reference to gait mechanics and safety in two groups of postoperative patients...
- Cardiac atrophy in women following bed restTodd A Dorfman
Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine, Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, Dallas, TX 75231, USA
J Appl Physiol 103:8-16. 2007..However, exercise training and, to a lesser extent, protein supplementation may be potential countermeasures to the cardiac atrophy associated with chronic unloading conditions such as in spaceflight and prolonged bed rest...
- Prior resistance training and sex influence muscle responses to arm suspensionMary P Miles
Department of Health and Human Development, Montana State University, Bozeman, 59717, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 37:1983-9. 2005....