Joan H Schiller
Affiliation: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Advanced NSCLC: from cytotoxic systemic chemotherapy to molecularly targeted therapyTien Hoang
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison 53792, USA
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2:393-401. 2002..These novel agents target molecular pathways specifically found in cancer cells, thus maximizing the antitumor effect while minimizing toxicities on normal cells...
- Efficacy and safety of single-agent pertuzumab, a human epidermal receptor dimerization inhibitor, in patients with non small cell lung cancerRoy S Herbst
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:6175-81. 2007..Based on supporting preclinical studies, we undertook a Phase II trial of pertuzumab in patients with recurrent non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Developments in epidermal growth factor receptor-targeting therapy for solid tumors: focus on matuzumab (EMD 72000)Joan H Schiller
University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, Texas 75390 8852, USA
Cancer Invest 26:81-95. 2008..Skin rash is the most common toxicity, but is severe (Grade 3) in < 1 percent. This article describes preclinical and clinical development of matuzumab...
- Efficacy and safety of axitinib in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: results from a phase II studyJoan H Schiller
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 8852, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:3836-41. 2009....
- Maintenance chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: new life for an old ideaDavid E Gerber
Division of Hematology Oncology, Harold C Simmons Cancer Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8852, USA
J Clin Oncol 31:1009-20. 2013....
- Angiogenesis inhibitors in the treatment of lung cancerSophie Sun
Division of Hematology and Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas 75390 8852, USA
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 62:93-104. 2007..Recent clinical trials have yielded promising results. This article will review angiogenesis inhibitors targeting the VEGF pathway which are currently being developed for the treatment of lung cancer...
- Recent clinical advances in lung cancer managementDavid H Johnson
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
J Clin Oncol 32:973-82. 2014..The elusive goal of reduced mortality rates can be achieved in the next 50 years through continued interdisciplinary research efforts...
- Lung cancer in never smokers--a different diseaseSophie Sun
Division of Haematology and Oncology and Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 7:778-90. 2007..This Review summarizes our current knowledge of this unique and poorly understood disease...
- New molecularly targeted therapies for lung cancerSophie Sun
Division of Hematology and Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
J Clin Invest 117:2740-50. 2007..This article will review the important clinical implications of these advances, with a focus on new molecularly targeted therapies currently in development...
- Stigma among patients with lung cancer: a patient-reported measurement modelHeidi A Hamann
Harold C Simmons Cancer Center, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA Department of Psychiatry, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA Department of Clinical Sciences, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Psychooncology 23:81-92. 2014..This study identified key stigma-related themes to provide a blueprint for item development through a thematic analysis of semi-structured interviews and focus groups with lung cancer patients...
- Clinician perceptions of care difficulty, quality of life, and symptom reports for lung cancer patients: an analysis from the Symptom Outcomes and Practice patterns (SOAPP) studyHeidi A Hamann
Harold C Simmons Cancer Center, Departments of Psychiatry and Clinical Sciences, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas Department of Biostatistics and Computational Biology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts Harold C Simmons Cancer Center, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas Department of Medical Oncology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee Department of Medical Social Sciences, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois VA New Jersey Health Care System, East Orange, New Jersey, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey and Department of General Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
J Thorac Oncol 8:1474-83. 2013..This study assessed clinicians' perceptions of care difficulty, quality of life (QOL), and symptom reports for their lung cancer patients compared with their patients with breast, prostate, and colon cancer...
- Pemetrexed with or without matuzumab as second-line treatment for patients with stage IIIB/IV non-small cell lung cancerJoan H Schiller
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Texas, USA
J Thorac Oncol 5:1977-85. 2010....
- Paclitaxel-carboplatin alone or with bevacizumab for non-small-cell lung cancerAlan Sandler
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
N Engl J Med 355:2542-50. 2006..Bevacizumab, a monoclonal antibody against vascular endothelial growth factor, has been shown to benefit patients with a variety of cancers...
- EGFR dinucleotide repeat polymorphism as a prognostic indicator in non-small cell lung cancerSarita Dubey
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
J Thorac Oncol 1:406-12. 2006..The authors hypothesized that a shorter length of tumor SSR would be associated with poorer survival in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Cisplatin- versus carboplatin-based chemotherapy in first-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: an individual patient data meta-analysisAndrea Ardizzoni
Division of Medical Oncology, University Hospital, Via Gramsci 14, 43100 Parma, Italy
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:847-57. 2007..Because the efficacy of carboplatin and cisplatin in the treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) has not been proven to be equivalent, an individual patient data meta-analysis comparing the two treatments was performed...
- Outcomes for elderly, advanced-stage non small-cell lung cancer patients treated with bevacizumab in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel: analysis of Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Trial 4599Suresh S Ramalingam
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:60-5. 2008..We conducted a subset analysis of ECOG 4599 to determine the outcome for elderly patients...
- Cell adhesion molecules, vascular endothelial growth factor, and basic fibroblast growth factor in patients with non-small cell lung cancer treated with chemotherapy with or without bevacizumab--an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group StudyAfshin Dowlati
University Hospitals Case Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44016, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:1407-12. 2008....
- PIONEER: a phase III randomized trial of paclitaxel poliglumex versus paclitaxel in chemotherapy-naive women with advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancer and performance status of 2Kathy S Albain
Loyola University, Chicago Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 7:417-9. 2006
- Phase I study of docetaxel and topotecan in patients with advanced malignanciesSarita Dubey
Department of Medicine, Medical Oncology Section, University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, Madison, USA
J Oncol Pharm Pract 11:131-8. 2005..We designed a phase I study to evaluate the maximum tolerated dose of this combination and to assess the impact of pharmacokinetic interactions of the two drugs on toxicity...
- Small cell lung cancer: defining a role for emerging platinum drugsJoan H Schiller
University of Wisconsin Hospital, Madison, 53792, USA
Oncology 63:105-14. 2002..If the early promise shown by these compounds is confirmed in the clinic, they may offer a new approach to the treatment of SCLC, including recurrent disease for which limited treatment options are currently available...
- Novel therapies for lung cancerTien Hoang
Department of Medicine, Medical Oncology, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Surg Oncol 11:229-41. 2002....
- Phase I pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of recombinant human endostatin in patients with advanced solid tumorsJames P Thomas
Department of Medicine, Section of Medical Oncology and University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, 53792, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:223-31. 2003..A phase I trial of recombinant human endostatin was designed to evaluate toxicity and explore biologic effectiveness in patients with refractory solid tumors...
- New directions for ZD1839 in the treatment of solid tumorsJoan H Schiller
Section of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Madison, WI 53792 6164, USA
Semin Oncol 30:49-55. 2003..Chemoprevention trials have been initiated to assess the potential of ZD1839 to delay or prevent the progression of common solid tumors such as non-small cell lung cancer...
- Novel therapies for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancerDavid H Johnson
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, 777 Preston Research Building, Nashville, TN 37232 6307, USA
Cancer Chemother Biol Response Modif 20:763-86. 2002..In addition, we need new techniques to assist those who are already addicted to escape from tobacco's death grip. Sadly, most users of tobacco still fail to recognize the dangers of their habit. This needs to change!..
- Efficacy of gefitinib, an inhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase, in symptomatic patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a randomized trialMark G Kris
Thoracic Oncology Service, Division of Solid Tumor Oncology, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and the Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
JAMA 290:2149-58. 2003....
- Adjuvant systemic therapies in early-stage non-small-cell lung cancerJoan H Schiller
Medical Oncology, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 5:S29-35. 2003..A combination of these new approaches and standard therapy for NSCLC may improve long-term survival in patients with lung cancer..
- Chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancerSarita Dubey
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 18:101-14. 2004..In second-line setting, docetaxel is the agent that has been extensively studied and approved. Furthermore, molecularly targeted therapy holds a promising future and is discussed in articles elsewhere in this issue...
- Novel agents in the treatment of lung cancer: conference summary statementThomas J Lynch
Division of Hematology Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:4199s-4204s. 2004
- Clinical trial design issues in the era of targeted therapiesJoan H Schiller
University of Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:4281s-4282s. 2004..Although our lack of effective therapies mandates the development of new, molecularly targeted therapies, a number of issues in the design of clinical trials and their end points remain to be considered...
- Phase I clinical trial of the immunocytokine EMD 273063 in melanoma patientsDavid M King
University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:4463-73. 2004..To evaluate the safety, toxicity, in vivo immunologic activation, and maximum-tolerated dose (MTD) of EMD 273063 (hu14.18-IL-2) in patients with metastatic melanoma...
- Clinically meaningful improvement in symptoms and quality of life for patients with non-small-cell lung cancer receiving gefitinib in a randomized controlled trialDavid Cella
Evanston Northwestern Healthcare and Northwestern University, 1001 University Place, Ste 100, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:2946-54. 2005..Among these NSCLC patients treated with gefitinib, symptom improvement was complementary to and, for most patients, preceded evidence of radiographic regression...
- Three emerging new drugs for NSCLC: pemetrexed, bortezomib, and cetuximabSarita Dubey
University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
Oncologist 10:282-91. 2005..All three drugs are approved for different tumor types, and studies defining their role in NSCLC are under way...
- Using liquid crystals to report membrane proteins captured by affinity microcontact printing from cell lysates and membrane extractsChang Hyun Jang
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Am Chem Soc 127:8912-3. 2005..Detection of epidermal growth factor receptor, a transmembrane glycoprotein, is demonstrated...
- Population pharmacokinetic and adverse event analysis of topotecan in patients with solid tumorsDiane R Mould
Projections Research Inc, 535 Springview Lane, Phoenixville, PA 19460, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 71:334-48. 2002..Our objective was to describe the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of topotecan in patients...
- CCNU in NSCLC Patients with Methylation of the MGMT GeneJoan Schiller; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MID CAREER INVESTIGATOR AWARDJoan Schiller; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Nano-Structure Surfaces and Liquid Crystal AnalysisJoan Schiller; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..