Elyn R Saks
Affiliation: University of Southern California
- Proxy consent to research: the legal landscapeElyn R Saks
University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, USA
Yale J Health Policy Law Ethics 8:37-92. 2008
- The California Scale of Appreciation: a new instrument to measure the appreciation component of capacity to consent to researchElyn R Saks
The Law School, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0071, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 10:166-74. 2002..Its generalizability to other patient populations and to other types of protocols needs to be determined...
- Ethical issues in psychosocial interventions research involving controlsE R Saks
University of Southern California Law School, 699 Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0071, USA
Ethics Behav 12:87-101. 2002..We believe that, despite the potential difficulties, psychosocial intervention research is vital and can be accomplished in an ethical manner. Further discussion and research into these issues are warranted...
- Meta-consent in research on decisional capacity: a "Catch-22"?Elyn R Saks
University of Southern California Law School, USA
Schizophr Bull 32:42-6. 2006....
- Involuntary outpatient commitmentElyn R Saks
University of Southern California, The Law School, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0071, USA
Psychol Public Policy Law 9:94-106. 2003..The consequences of noncompliance are also explored...
- Capacity to consent to or refuse treatment and/or research: theoretical considerationsElyn R Saks
University of Southern California Gould School of Law, USA
Behav Sci Law 24:411-29. 2006..We ask whether we should have a variable competency standard, either in general or in different contexts (e.g. treatment versus research). Finally we consider the role of mental illness in competency assessments...
- The importance of accommodations in higher educationElyn R Saks
Gould School of Law, University of Southern California, CA, USA
Psychiatr Serv 59:376. 2008
- Assessing decisional capacity for clinical research or treatment: a review of instrumentsLaura B Dunn
Department of Psychiatry, 0603 V, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:1323-34. 2006..The authors critically reviewed existing measures of decisional capacity for research and treatment...
- Prevalence and correlates of adequate performance on a measure of abilities related to decisional capacity: differences among three standards for the MacCAT-CR in patients with schizophreniaLaura B Dunn
University of California, San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, United States
Schizophr Res 89:110-8. 2007..These findings underscore the need for refinement of capacity assessment procedures and for improvements in the use of capacity assessment tools for screening purposes and to assist in categorical capacity determinations...