A S Ryan
Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Insulin resistance with aging: effects of diet and exerciseA S Ryan
Division of Gerontology, Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Maryland 21201, USA
Sports Med 30:327-46. 2000....
- Sequential hyperglycemic-euglycemic clamp to assess beta-cell and peripheral tissue: studies in female athletesA S Ryan
Division of Gerontology, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, and Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Baltimore 21201, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 91:872-81. 2001..We have shown that physical activity improves beta-cell efficiency across the age span in women and ameliorates the effect of age on the decline of peripheral tissue sensitivity to insulin...
- Racial disparities in metabolism, central obesity, and sex hormone-binding globulin in postmenopausal womenD M Berman
Division of Gerontology, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore Veterans Affair Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:97-103. 2001..These results suggest that the metabolic relationships between total and regional obesity, glucose, and lipid metabolism with SHBG in CAU women are different from those in postmenopausal obese AA women...
- Applicability of maximal oxygen consumption criteria in obese, postmenopausal womenN A Misquita
Department of Medicine, Division of Gerontology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Womens Health Gend Based Med 10:879-85. 2001..2 +/- 3.3 vs. 19.6 +/- 4.2 ml/kg/min; p = NS). We conclude that achievement of a plateau in Vo(2) is not a necessary criterion for a valid measurement of Vo(2)max in overweight and obese, sedentary, postmenopausal women...
- Body fat distribution and flow-mediated endothelium-dependent vasodilation in older menL J O Joseph
Division of Gerontology, Baltimore Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26:663-9. 2002..The aim of this study was to examine whether the distribution of body fat depots is related to impaired endothelial function in older men...
- Cardiovascular health and fitness after strokeF M Ivey
Department of Medicine, Division of Gerontology, University of Maryland School of Medicine and Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, USA
Top Stroke Rehabil 12:1-16. 2005..This article reviews some of the consequences of poor fitness in chronic stroke and the potential biological underpinnings that support a rationale for more aggressive approaches to exercise therapy in this population...