G W Rutherford
Affiliation: University of California
- Estimating severe coccidioidomycosis in CaliforniaValerie J Flaherman
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0503, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1087-90. 2007..67 per 100,000 population. County of residence, older age, black race, male sex, HIV infection, and pregnancy were strongly associated with increased risk for hospitalization...
- Three- or four- versus two-drug antiretroviral maintenance regimens for HIV infectionG W Rutherford
University of California, San Francisco, Prevention Sciences Group, San Francisco, California 94105 3444, USA
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2000....
- Three- or four- versus two-drug antiretroviral maintenance regimens for HIV infectionG W Rutherford
University of California, San Francisco, Prevention Sciences Group, 74 New Montgomery Street, Suite 600, San Francisco, California 94105 3444, USA
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2003....
- The effect of HIV on morbidity and mortality in children with severe malarial anaemiaSamuel Malamba
CDC Uganda, Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Malar J 6:143. 2007..Malaria and HIV are common causes of mortality in sub-Saharan Africa. The effect of HIV infection on morbidity and mortality in children with severe malarial anaemia was assessed...
- Risks of serious complications and death from smallpox vaccination: a systematic review of the United States experience, 1963-1968Tomas J Aragon
Center for Infectious Disease Preparedness, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, USA
BMC Public Health 3:26. 2003..We summarized these risks for post-vaccinial encephalitis, vaccinia necrosum (progressive vaccinia), eczema vaccinatum, generalized vaccinia, and accidental infection (inadvertant autoinoculation)...
- Condoms in concentrated and generalised HIV epidemicsGeorge W Rutherford
Cochrane HIV AIDS Group and Global Health Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Lancet 372:275-6. 2008
- Public health triangulation: approach and application to synthesizing data to understand national and local HIV epidemicsGeorge W Rutherford
Global Health Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
BMC Public Health 10:447. 2010..While traditional intervention research and meta-analysis would be ideal sources of information for public health decision making, they are infrequently available, and often decisions can be based only on surveillance and survey data...
- Distant sequelae of traumatic brain injury: premature mortality and intracranial neoplasmsGeorge W Rutherford
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and the Program in Global Health Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Head Trauma Rehabil 24:468-74. 2009..Determine the relationship between traumatic brain injury (TBI) and premature mortality and intracranial neoplasms occurring 6 months or more after TBI...
- Surveillance for incident HIV infection: new technology and new opportunitiesG W Rutherford
AIDS Research Institute, San Francisco, California, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 25:S115-9. 2000..Having an HIV surveillance system that focuses on incident rather than prevalent infection should be our long-term goal...
- Medicaid managed care and public health dataG W Rutherford
School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Public Health Rep 114:225-30. 1999..Thus, there are multiple routes through which public health goals and priorities can be incorporated into managed care and can leverage the power of managed care to improve the public's health...
- Research in the Veterans Health Administration: the report of the Research Realignment Advisory CommitteeG W Rutherford
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Acad Med 74:773-81. 1999..The committee's recommendations, some of which have already been implemented, form the basis for strengthening the VA's research enterprise and for fully integrating it within the new structure of health care delivery in the VA...
- A meta-analysis of the effect of high weight on asthmaV Flaherman
Department of Family and Community Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0503, USA
Arch Dis Child 91:334-9. 2006..Some recent studies have postulated a causal relation between these but have lacked power to form a definitive conclusion...
- Correlates of unprotected receptive anal intercourse among gay and bisexual men: Kampala, UgandaH Fisher Raymond
HIV Epidemiology Section, San Francisco Department of Public Health, 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94102 6033, USA
AIDS Behav 13:677-81. 2009..Programs to address risk of HIV infection among gay and bisexual men in Kampala need to address perceptions of risk among gay identified men...
- The public health need and present status of a vaccine for the prevention of coccidioidomycosisRichard Hector
Institute for Global Health, University of California, San Francisco, 50 Beale St, Suite 1200, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1111:259-68. 2007..Efforts to select and develop a vaccine for human clinical trials are in progress...
- Using respondent-driven sampling methodology for HIV biological and behavioral surveillance in international settings: a systematic reviewMohsen Malekinejad
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA
AIDS Behav 12:S105-30. 2008..This review has shown that RDS is an effective technique, when designed and implemented appropriately, to sample most-at-risk populations for HIV biological and behavioral surveys...
- Emerging HIV-1 epidemic in China in men who have sex with menKyung Hee Choi
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, CA 9410, USA
Lancet 361:2125-6. 2003..Most men older than 39 years had been married. Our findings suggest the potential for spread of HIV-1 between men who have sex with men and to their heterosexual partners...
- Potential deterrent effect of name-based HIV infection surveillanceEdwin D Charlebois
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, AIDS Policy Research Center, AIDS Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:219-27. 2005..This shift is of concern as confidential HIV testing is the basis of US HIV surveillance systems...
- International collaboration in conducting systematic reviews: the Cochrane Collaborative Review Group on HIV Infection and AIDSGail E Kennedy
AIDS Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, 94105 3444, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 30:S56-61. 2002..Systematic reviews can play an important role in advancing evidence-based policy and practice in HIV/AIDS prevention and care...
- Human herpesvirus 8 infection in children and adults in a population-based study in rural UgandaLisa M Butler
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Global Health Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Infect Dis 203:625-34. 2011..We examined sociodemographic, behavioral, and biological factors associated with HHV-8 infection in children and adults to determine HHV-8 seroprevalence and potential routes of transmission...
- Antifungal interventions for the primary prevention of cryptococcal disease in adults with HIVL W Chang
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 632 Diamond St, San Francisco, CA 94114, USA
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2005..Cryptococcal disease is an opportunistic infection that causes significant morbidity and mortality in adults with HIV. Primary prophylaxis with antifungal interventions may decrease cryptococcal disease incidence and associated mortality...
- The epidemiology of HIV and AIDS in the worldAliya Bokazhanova
Institute for Global Health, University of California, San Francisco, California 94105, USA
Coll Antropol 30:3-10. 2006..The public health challenge worldwide is to keep the uninfected and to treat and care for those who have already been infected...
- A matched case-control study evaluating the effectiveness of speed humps in reducing child pedestrian injuriesJune M Tester
University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Public Health 94:646-50. 2004..We evaluated the protective effectiveness of speed humps in reducing child pedestrian injuries in residential neighborhoods...
- Developing WHO guidelines with pragmatic, structured, evidence-based processes: A case studyL W Chang
Cochrane HIV AIDS Group, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Glob Public Health 5:395-412. 2010..Successes and challenges of the guideline development process were identified and are used to highlight current issues and debates in developing guidelines with a focus on implications for future guideline development at WHO...
- Gay and bisexual men in Kampala, UgandaPhoebe Kajubi
Institute for Global Health, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
AIDS Behav 12:492-504. 2008..Recognition of gay and bisexual men in local HIV prevention programs and education messages are urgently needed. Our study demonstrates that gay and bisexual men in Uganda are willing to identify themselves and participate in research...
- Opportunistic infections in hospitalized HIV-infected adults in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: a cross-sectional studyJanice K Louie
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, 74 New Montgomery Street, Suite 600, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Int J STD AIDS 15:758-61. 2004..However, the usefulness of itraconazole prophylaxis for cryptococcosis and penicilliosis merits further consideration...
- The public health impact of coccidioidomycosis in Arizona and CaliforniaRichard F Hector
Global Health Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, 1200 Beale St, 1200, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:1150-73. 2011..Similarly, the inability of currently available therapeutics to reduce the duration and morbidity of this disease underscores the need for improved therapeutics and a preventive vaccine...
- Think globally, act locally, and collaborate internationally: global health sciences at the University of California, San FranciscoSarah B Macfarlane
Global Health Sciences, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California San Francisco, and Inpatient Pediatrics, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, California 94143 0443, USA
Acad Med 83:173-9. 2008....
- The role of BCG in prevention of leprosy: a meta-analysisManinder Singh Setia
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 6:162-70. 2006..An additional dose of BCG may be warranted for contacts of leprosy patients in areas where leprosy continues to be a public-health problem...
- Race, place and AIDS: the role of socioeconomic context on racial disparities in treatment and survival in San FranciscoMichael Arnold
Center for AIDS Prevention, University of California San Francisco, 50 Beale Street, Suite 1300, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Soc Sci Med 69:121-8. 2009....
- Thyroid function and perchlorate in drinking water: an evaluation among California newborns, 1998Patricia A Buffler
University of California, Berkeley, California, and Nemours Children s Clinic, Orlando, FL, USA
Environ Health Perspect 114:798-804. 2006....
- Implementation challenges to using respondent-driven sampling methodology for HIV biological and behavioral surveillance: field experiences in international settingsLisa Grazina Johnston
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, USA
AIDS Behav 12:S131-41. 2008..As RDS is increasingly used for HIV surveillance, it is important to learn from past practical, theoretical and analytical challenges to maximize the utility of this method...
- AIDS prevention research in low and middle-income countries: increasing the dissemination of study results in the scientific literatureJeffrey S Mandel
AIDS Behav 10:S1-4. 2006
- An archived lot of coccidioidin induces specific coccidioidal delayed-type hypersensitivity and correlates with in vitro assays of coccidioidal cellular immune responseNeil M Ampel
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Mycopathologia 161:67-72. 2006..01 for both). These data suggest that archived coccidioidin retains its potency and specificity and that in vitro test of coccidioidal immunity may have utility in the measurement of coccidioidal cellular immunity...
- Primary congenital hypothyroidism, newborn thyroid function, and environmental perchlorate exposure among residents of a Southern California communityMichael A Kelsh
Exponent, Inc, 149 Commonwealth Drive, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
J Occup Environ Med 45:1116-27. 2003..Age of the newborn at time of screening was the most important predictor of the TSH level. These findings suggest that residence in a community with potential perchlorate exposure has not impacted PCH rates or newborn thyroid function...
- Skateboard-associated injuries: participation-based estimates and injury characteristicsSusan B Kyle
Epidemiology and Health Statistics, Consumer Product Safety Commission, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Trauma 53:686-90. 2002..Skateboard-associated injuries were evaluated over time to determine participation-based trends in injury prevalence...
- Nonoxynol-9 spermicide for prevention of vaginally acquired HIV and other sexually transmitted infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials including more than 5000 womenDavid Wilkinson
Division of Health Sciences, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Lancet Infect Dis 2:613-7. 2002..There is some evidence of harm through genital lesions. N-9 cannot be recommended for HIV and STI prevention...