Affiliation: University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Immunization against a saccharide epitope accelerates clearance of experimental gonococcal infectionSunita Gulati
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 9:e1003559. 2013..043). The OS epitope defined by mAb 2C7 may represent an effective vaccine target against gonorrhea, which is rapidly becoming incurable with currently available antibiotics. ..
- Gonococcal arthritis (disseminated gonococcal infection)Peter A Rice
Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Lazare Research Building LRB, Room 321, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 19:853-61. 2005....
- Human factor H interacts selectively with Neisseria gonorrhoeae and results in species-specific complement evasionJutamas Ngampasutadol
Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
J Immunol 180:3426-35. 2008..Our findings may help to improve animal models for gonorrhea while also having implications in the choice of complement sources to evaluate neisserial vaccine candidates...
- Defining targets for complement components C4b and C3b on the pathogenic neisseriaeLisa A Lewis
Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Lazare Research Building, Room 370I, 364 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Infect Immun 76:339-50. 2008..The binding of C3b and C4b to Opa provides a rationale for the recovery of predominantly "transparent" (Opa-negative) neisserial isolates from persons with invasive disease, where the bacteria encounter high levels of complement...
- Molecular characterization of the interaction between porins of Neisseria gonorrhoeae and C4b-binding proteinHanna Jarva
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Medical Protein Chemistry, University of Lund, Malmo, Sweden
J Immunol 179:540-7. 2007..Only those recombinant mutant C4BPs that bound to bacteria rescued them from 100% killing by rhesus serum, thereby providing a functional correlate for the binding studies and highlighting C4BP function in gonococcal serum resistance...
- Heptose I glycan substitutions on Neisseria gonorrhoeae lipooligosaccharide influence C4b-binding protein binding and serum resistanceSanjay Ram
Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Lazare Research Building, Room 322, 364 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Infect Immun 75:4071-81. 2007..This study provides mechanistic insights into how HepI LOS substitutions affect the serum resistance of N. gonorrhoeae...
- Factor H binding and function in sialylated pathogenic neisseriae is influenced by gonococcal, but not meningococcal, porinGuillermo Madico
Evans Biomedical Research Center, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Immunol 178:4489-97. 2007..Our data highlight the different mechanisms used by these two related species to evade complement...
- Human C4b-binding protein selectively interacts with Neisseria gonorrhoeae and results in species-specific infectionJutamas Ngampasutadol
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:17142-7. 2005..Our findings may lead to the development of better animal models for gonorrhea and may also have implications in the choice of complement sources to evaluate neisserial vaccine candidates...
- Enhanced factor H binding to sialylated Gonococci is restricted to the sialylated lacto-N-neotetraose lipooligosaccharide species: implications for serum resistance and evidence for a bifunctional lipooligosaccharide sialyltransferase in GonococciSunita Gulati
Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01605, USA
Infect Immun 73:7390-7. 2005..Thus, serum resistance mediated by sialylation of gonococcal L1 and LNT LOS occurs by different mechanisms, and specificity of factor H binding to sialylated gonococci is restricted to the LNT LOS species...
- Regulation of the mannan-binding lectin pathway of complement on Neisseria gonorrhoeae by C1-inhibitor and alpha 2-macroglobulinSunita Gulati
Section of Infectious Diseases and Hematology Oncology, Evans Biomedical Research Center, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Immunol 168:4078-86. 2002..Our studies indicate that MBL does not participate in complement activation on N. gonorrhoeae in the presence of "complete" serum that contains C1-inhibitor and alpha(2)-macroglobulin...
- Implications of phase variation of a gene (pgtA) encoding a pilin galactosyl transferase in gonococcal pathogenesisAsesh Banerjee
Department of Biology, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC 20064, USA
J Exp Med 196:147-62. 2002..In contrast, for the vast majority (20 out of 28) of GC isolated from uncomplicated gonorrhea (UG) patients, pgtA lacked the poly-G. These results indicate that Pv of pgtA is likely to be involved in the conversion of UG to DGI...
- Neisserial lipooligosaccharide is a target for complement component C4b. Inner core phosphoethanolamine residues define C4b linkage specificitySanjay Ram
Section of Infectious Diseases, Evans Biomedical Research Center, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Biol Chem 278:50853-62. 2003....
- por Variable-region typing by DNA probe hybridization is broadly applicable to epidemiologic studies of Neisseria gonorrhoeaeMargaret C Bash
Division of Bacterial, Parasitic and Allergenic Products, HFM 428, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, 1401 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:1522-30. 2005..por VR typing is a molecular tool that appears to have broad applicability. This method can be adapted to a wide range of technologies from simple hybridization to microarray and may allow for typing from noncultured clinical specimens...
- Expression of the gonococcal global regulatory protein Fur and genes encompassing the Fur and iron regulon during in vitro and in vivo infection in womenSarika Agarwal
Department of Medicine, Section of Molecular Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Bacteriol 190:3129-39. 2008..Microarray analysis of specimens obtained from female subjects with uncomplicated gonococcal infection corroborated our in vitro findings and point toward a key role of gonococcal Fur- and iron-regulated genes in gonococcal disease...
- Polymerase chain reaction to diagnose infective endocarditis: will it replace blood cultures?Peter A Rice
Circulation 111:1352-4. 2005
- The gonococcal Fur-regulated tbpA and tbpB genes are expressed during natural mucosal gonococcal infectionSarika Agarwal
Department of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, Boston University School of Medicine, 650 Albany Street, Room 637, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Infect Immun 73:4281-7. 2005..These results indicate that gonococcal iron- and Fur-regulated tbpA and tbpB genes are expressed in gonococcal infection and that male subjects with mucosal gonococcal infections exhibit antibodies to these proteins...
- Binding of vitronectin by the Moraxella catarrhalis UspA2 protein interferes with late stages of the complement cascadeAhmed S Attia
Department of Microbiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9048, USA
Infect Immun 74:1597-611. 2006..These results indicate that binding of vitronectin by UspA2 is involved in the serum resistance of M. catarrhalis; this represents the first example of vitronectin-mediated serum resistance on a microbe...
- Distinct defensin profiles in Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis urethritis reveal novel epithelial cell-neutrophil interactionsEdith Porter
Department of Biological Sciences, California State University, Los Angeles, 5151 State University Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90032, USA
Infect Immun 73:4823-33. 2005....
- Characterization of a peptide vaccine candidate mimicking an oligosaccharide epitope of Neisseria gonorrhoeae and resultant immune responses and functionJutamas Ngampasutadol
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Evans Biomedical Research Center EBRC, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Vaccine 24:157-70. 2006..These data indicate that a peptide can mimic an oligosaccharide epitope and may form the basis for the development of a vaccine candidate for human immunization against N. gonorrhoeae...
- IMMUNOLOGY OF INFECTION WITH NEISSERIA GONORRHOEAEPeter Rice; Fiscal Year: 2003..The resultant strains will be characterized for: i) the ability to sialylate (endogenously or in the presence of exogenous CMP-NANA), ii) their serum sensitivity in bactericidal assays, and iii) their LOS structure. ..