Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Colorado Denver
- Glucagon-Like Peptide-1-Mediated Modulation of Inflammatory Pathways in the Diabetic Brain: Relevance to Alzheimer's DiseaseLimei Qin
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Anschutz Medical Campus, Mail Stop 8106, 12801 E 17th Ave, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Curr Alzheimer Res 13:1346-1355. 2016..Dual actions of GLP-1 in the pancreatic beta cells and in the brain suggest that incretin therapies may reduce cognitive decline in the aging diabetic patients and also have the potential to be used in treating Alzheimer's patients...
- Common neurodegenerative pathways in obesity, diabetes, and Alzheimer's diseaseSubbiah Pugazhenthi
Section of Endocrinology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO, USA Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO, USA Electronic address
Biochim Biophys Acta . 2016..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Oxidative Stress and Mitochondrial Quality in Diabetes/Obesity and Critical Illness Spectrum of Diseases - edited by P. Hemachandra Reddy...
- Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibition in diabetic rats leads to activation of the transcription factor CREB in β-cellsSubbiah Pugazhenthi
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO, United States Department of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO, United States Electronic address
Eur J Pharmacol 755:42-9. 2015..Findings from this study suggest potential activation of cytoprotective CREB by GLP-1 in pancreatic β-cells of diabetic patients undergoing incretin-based therapies...
- Modulation of apoptosis pathways by oxidative stress and autophagy in β cellsMaorong Wang
Section of Endocrinology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Exp Diabetes Res 2012:647914. 2012..Our findings suggest that β cell apoptosis by multiple stresses in islets isolated for transplantation is the result of orchestrated gene expression in apoptosis pathway...
- Induction of an inflammatory loop by interleukin-1β and tumor necrosis factor-α involves NF-kB and STAT-1 in differentiated human neuroprogenitor cellsSubbiah Pugazhenthi
Section of Endocrinology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e69585. 2013....
- Downregulation of CREB expression in Alzheimer's brain and in Aβ-treated rat hippocampal neuronsSubbiah Pugazhenthi
Section of Endocrinology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO, USA
Mol Neurodegener 6:60. 2011..Therefore, we examined the expression of CREB in the hippocampal neurons of Tg2576 mice, AD post-mortem brain and in cultured rat hippocampal neurons exposed to Aβ aggregates...
- Role for oxidative stress in the regeneration of islet beta cells?Kathryn Haskins
Department of Immunology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 1400 Jackson Street, Denver, CO 80206, USA
J Investig Med 52:45-9. 2004..Lc7 mice than in NOD mice, suggesting that NOD.Lc7 islets are less susceptible to oxidative damage. We hypothesize that there may be a link between the ability of islet cells to regenerate and their resistance to oxidative stress...
- Down-regulation of WW domain-containing oxidoreductase induces Tau phosphorylation in vitro. A potential role in Alzheimer's diseaseChun I Sze
Department of Pathology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
J Biol Chem 279:30498-506. 2004..Together WOX1 binds Tau via its short-chain alcohol dehydrogenase/reductase domain and is likely to play a critical role in regulating Tau hyperphosphorylation and NFT formation in vivo...
- SP600125, an inhibitor of c-jun N-terminal kinase, activates CREB by a p38 MAPK-mediated pathwayDhara Vaishnav
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 307:855-60. 2003..SB203580, an inhibitor of p38 MAPK, partially blocked SP600125-mediated activation of CREB. These observations suggest that SP600125 could be used as a small molecular weight activator of CREB...
- Transactivation of the simian varicella virus (SVV) open reading frame (ORF) 21 promoter by SVV ORF 62 is upregulated in neuronal cells but downregulated in non-neuronal cells by SVV ORF 63 proteinRavi Mahalingam
Department of Neurology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Virology 345:244-50. 2006..This is the first study in which a varicella protein (ORF 63) expressed during latency has been shown to have a differential effect on a promoter that is also active during latency, in neuronal as compared to non-neuronal cells...
- Antiapoptotic actions of exendin-4 against hypoxia and cytokines are augmented by CREBKalpana Velmurugan
Section of Endocrinology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
Endocrinology 153:1116-28. 2012..These observations have significant implications in the therapeutic potential of exendin-4 and CREB in the islet transplantation setting as well as in preserving β-cell mass of diabetic patients...
- Oxidative stress in type 1 diabetesKathryn Haskins
Department of Immunology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado 80206, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1005:43-54. 2003....
- Regulation of cyclic AMP response element-binding protein during neuroglial interactionsLimei Qin
Section of Endocrinology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Neurochem 136:918-30. 2016....
- Neuroprotective actions of glucagon-like peptide-1 in differentiated human neuroprogenitor cellsKalpana Velmurugan
Section of Endocrinology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
J Neurochem 123:919-31. 2012..Diabetes is a risk factor in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. Our findings suggest that GLP-1-based therapies can decrease the incidence of Alzheimer's disease among aging diabetic population...
- Cytokine-mediated down-regulation of the transcription factor cAMP-response element-binding protein in pancreatic beta-cellsPurevsuren Jambal
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
J Biol Chem 278:23055-65. 2003..Together, these results point to CREB as a novel target for strategies aimed at improving the survival of beta-cells...
- 2',5'-Dihydroxychalcone-induced glutathione is mediated by oxidative stress and kinase signaling pathwaysRemy Kachadourian
Department of Medicine, National Jewish Health, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 51:1146-54. 2011..These findings suggest that the 2',5'-DHC-induced increase in GSH levels results from a combination of ROS-dependent and ROS-independent pathways...