Affiliation: University of Washington
- Pharmacological upregulation of h-channels reduces the excitability of pyramidal neuron dendritesNicholas P Poolos
Division of Neuroscience, Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nat Neurosci 5:767-74. 2002..These results demonstrate that neuronal excitability can be altered by drugs acting selectively on dendrites, and suggest an important role for I(h) in controlling dendritic excitability and epileptogenesis...
- The h-channel: a potential channelopathy in epilepsy?Nicholas P Poolos
Department of Neurology and Regional Epilepsy Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Epilepsy Behav 7:51-6. 2005..This review summarizes the evidence for the contribution of h-channels to seizures and epilepsy, and outlines hypotheses concerning the existence of an "h-channelopathy" in human epilepsy...
- Modulation of h-channels in hippocampal pyramidal neurons by p38 mitogen-activated protein kinaseNicholas P Poolos
Department of Neurology and Regional Epilepsy Center, Neurobiology and Behavior Program, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Neurosci 26:7995-8003. 2006..These results show that p38 MAPK is a strong modulator of h-channel biophysical properties and may deserve additional exploration as a link between altered I(h) and pathological conditions such as epilepsy...
- Males with epilepsy, complete subcortical band heterotopia, and somatic mosaicism for DCXN P Poolos
Department of Neurology, Division of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Neurology 58:1559-62. 2002..This article reports two cases of males with SBH indistinguishable from the female phenotype, both resulting from somatic mosaicism for DCX mutation...
- Reversed somatodendritic I(h) gradient in a class of rat hippocampal neurons with pyramidal morphologyJames B Bullis
Neurobiology and Behavior, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7290, USA
J Physiol 579:431-43. 2007..Thus, we have characterized a principal neuronal subtype in the hippocampus with a similar morphology but reversed I(h) somatodendritic gradient to that previously observed in CA1 hippocampal and neocortical pyramidal neurons...
- Acquired dendritic channelopathy in temporal lobe epilepsyChristophe Bernard
Department of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Science 305:532-5. 2004..Kinase inhibition partly reversed dendritic excitability to control levels. Such acquired channelopathy is likely to amplify neuronal activity and may contribute to the initiation and/or propagation of seizures in TLE...
- Position statement on the coverage of anticonvulsant drugs for the treatment of epilepsy: what's the problem with generic antiepileptic drugs? A call to actionJohn W Miller
Neurology 69:1806-8. 2007
- Progressive dendritic HCN channelopathy during epileptogenesis in the rat pilocarpine model of epilepsySangwook Jung
Department of Neurology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Neurosci 27:13012-21. 2007..This early and progressive downregulation of dendritic HCN channel function increases neuronal excitability and may be associated with both the process of epileptogenesis and maintenance of the epileptic state...
- Patch-clamp recording from neuronal dendritesNicholas P Poolos
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Curr Protoc Neurosci . 2004..The procedures underlying these techniques are described in this unit...
- Modulation of h-channels in hippocampal dendritiesNICHOLAS POOLOS; Fiscal Year: 2007..If funded, this proposal will enable the PI's transition to an independent clinician-scientist with a career focus on both basic and clinical aspects of epilepsy. ..