Parag G Patil
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- The anatomical and electrophysiological subthalamic nucleus visualized by 3-T magnetic resonance imagingParag G Patil
Surgical Therapies Improving Movement Program, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 5338, USA
Neurosurgery 71:1089-95; discussion 1095. 2012..However, the relationship of the MR-visualized STN to the anatomic, electrophysiological, or atlas-predicted STN remains controversial...
- The development of brain-machine interface neuroprosthetic devicesParag G Patil
Department of Neurosurgery and Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0338, USA
Neurotherapeutics 5:137-46. 2008..Now is a critical time in brain-machine interface development because most ongoing studies are science-based and noncommercial, allowing new approaches to be included in commercial schemes under development...
- The MDS-UPDRS tracks motor and non-motor improvement due to subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation in Parkinson diseaseKelvin L Chou
Surgical Therapies Improving Movement Program, University of Michigan, USA Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA Electronic address
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 19:966-9. 2013..Previous studies on deep brain stimulation have not used the MDS-UPDRS...
- Change in fatigue after bilateral subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's diseaseKelvin L Chou
Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 18:510-3. 2012..The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of STN DBS on fatigue scores in patients with PD...
- National trends in surgical procedures for degenerative cervical spine disease: 1990-2000Parag G Patil
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Neurosurgery 57:753-8; discussion 753-8. 2005..We examined this issue using the Nationwide Inpatient Sample database, a representative sample of all United States inpatient hospitalizations...
- Motor improvement with bilateral subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation in a patient with levodopa-responsive secondary parkinsonismVikas Kotagal
Department of Neurology, University of Michigan Medical School, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5322, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 18:79-81. 2012..This case suggests that DBS may be considered in the setting of secondary parkinsonism if such patients have levodopa-responsive symptoms...
- Flat-panel fluoroscopy O-arm-guided percutaneous radiofrequency cordotomy: a new technique for the treatment of unilateral cancer painKelly L Collins
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 5338, USA
Neurosurgery 72:27-34; discussion 34. 2013..Evolving from a morbid open surgery, the procedure has been modernized through the application of physiological target confirmation, well-regulated thermal ablation, and improved intraoperative imaging...
- Deep brain stimulation for movement disordersKelly L Collins
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1500 E Medical Center Drive, SPC 5338, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5338, USA
Neurobiol Dis 38:338-45. 2010..In addition, we describe the operative techniques utilized in DBS surgery and look forward to new developments in DBS on the horizon...
- Four-decade maintenance of analgesia with percutaneous cordotomyKelly L Collins
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5338, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 90:266-72. 2012..This case demonstrates that percutaneous cordotomy can provide long-lasting, complete analgesia in some patients and merits continuation as a part of the neurosurgical arsenal of pain therapies...
- In vivo performance of a microelectrode neural probe with integrated drug deliveryPratik Rohatgi
Ann and Robert H Lurie Biomedical Engineering Building, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Neurosurg Focus 27:E8. 2009..Focal drug delivery promises to extend dramatically the recording lives of neural probes, a limiting factor to clinical adoption of BMI technology...
- Surgical exposure of the sciatic nerve in the gluteal region: anatomic and historical comparison of two approachesParag G Patil
Division of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Neurosurgery 56:165-71; discussion 165-71. 2005..To increase awareness among neurosurgeons of alternative surgical approaches to lesions of the sciatic nerve in the gluteal region...
- Ensemble recordings of human subcortical neurons as a source of motor control signals for a brain-machine interfaceParag G Patil
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Neurosurgery 55:27-35; discussion 35-8. 2004..Here, we report an implementation of this strategy in the human intraoperative setting to assess the feasibility of using neurons in subcortical motor areas to drive a human brain-machine interface...