Genomes and Genes
Robin K Ohls
Affiliation: University of New Mexico
- Human recombinant erythropoietin in the prevention and treatment of anemia of prematurityRobin K Ohls
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 5311, USA
Paediatr Drugs 4:111-21. 2002....
- Erythropoietin treatment in extremely low birth weight infants: blood in versus blood outRobin K Ohls
J Pediatr 141:3-6. 2002
- The use of erythropoietin in neonatesR K Ohls
Department of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, USA
Clin Perinatol 27:681-96. 2000....
- Effects of early erythropoietin therapy on the transfusion requirements of preterm infants below 1250 grams birth weight: a multicenter, randomized, controlled trialR K Ohls
Departments of Pediatrics, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87131, USA
Pediatrics 108:934-42. 2001....
- Effects of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor on neutrophil adhesive molecules in neonatesR K Ohls
Department of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 5311, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 23:506-10. 2001..In adults, G-CSF improves neutrophil function by up-regulating adhesion molecules...
- Erythropoietin and hypoxia inducible factor-1 expression in the mid-trimester human fetusR K Ohls
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 5311, USA
Acta Paediatr Suppl 91:27-30. 2002..This anemia may involve a deficiency in the fetal and premature kidney to produce Epo. To evaluate fetal Epo production, Epo and hypoxia inducible factor-1 (HIF) mRNA expression was measured in the mid-trimester human fetus...
- Neurodevelopmental outcome and growth at 18 to 22 months' corrected age in extremely low birth weight infants treated with early erythropoietin and ironRobin K Ohls
Department of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Pediatrics 114:1287-91. 2004..Clinical trials evaluating the use of erythropoietin (Epo) have demonstrated a limited reduction in transfusions; however, long-term developmental follow-up data are scarce...
- Cognitive outcomes of preterm infants randomized to darbepoetin, erythropoietin, or placeboRobin K Ohls
Department of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Pediatrics 133:1023-30. 2014..As these erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs) have shown promise as neuroprotective agents, we hypothesized improved neurodevelopmental outcomes at 18 to 22 months among infants randomized to receive ESAs...
- Erythropoietin increases reticulocyte counts and maintains hematocrit in neonates requiring surgeryRyann Bierer
Department of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
J Pediatr Surg 44:1540-5. 2009..Neonates requiring surgery are at risk to receive multiple transfusions. We sought to determine if recombinant Epo administration to neonates requiring surgery would stimulate erythropoiesis...
- Current controversies in the management of the anemia of prematurityNader Bishara
University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Semin Perinatol 33:29-34. 2009..In this article we review recent studies evaluating transfusion guidelines, discuss ways to decrease phlebotomy losses and examine the use of red cell growth factors such as Epo in preventing and treating anemia in preterm infants...
- Erythropoietin concentrations and neurodevelopmental outcome in preterm infantsRyann Bierer
Department of Pediatrics, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Pediatrics 118:e635-40. 2006..We evaluated the relationship between erythropoietin concentrations and neurodevelopmental outcome in extremely low birth weight infants...
- A randomized, masked study of weekly erythropoietin dosing in preterm infantsRobin K Ohls
Department of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
J Pediatr 160:790-5.e1. 2012..To compare reticulocyte responses of once-per-week erythropoietin (EPO) dosing with 3-times-a-week dosing in preterm infants...
- A randomized, masked, placebo-controlled study of darbepoetin alfa in preterm infantsRobin K Ohls
Department of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Pediatrics 132:e119-27. 2013..Weekly Darbe dosing has not been evaluated in preterm infants. We hypothesized that infants would respond to Darbe by decreasing transfusion needs compared with placebo, with less-frequent dosing than erythropoietin (Epo)...
- TGF-β2 suppresses macrophage cytokine production and mucosal inflammatory responses in the developing intestineAkhil Maheshwari
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Gastroenterology 140:242-53. 2011..We investigated whether NEC occurs in the preterm intestine due to incomplete noninflammatory differentiation of intestinal macrophages, which increases the risk of a severe mucosal inflammatory response to bacterial products...
- Prediction of bronchopulmonary dysplasia by postnatal age in extremely premature infantsMatthew M Laughon
Department of Pediatrics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7596, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:1715-22. 2011....
- Antenatal consent in the SUPPORT trial: challenges, costs, and representative enrollmentWade D Rich
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Pediatrics 126:e215-21. 2010....
- Darbepoetin Administration in Term and Preterm NeonatesShrena Patel
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah, 296 Chipeta Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84105, USA
Clin Perinatol 42:557-66. 2015..ESAs show great promise in decreasing or eliminating transfusions, and in preventing and treating brain injury in term and preterm infants. ..
- Existence, functional impairment, and lung repair potential of endothelial colony-forming cells in oxygen-induced arrested alveolar growthRajesh S Alphonse
From the Department of Pediatrics, Women and Children s Health Research Institute, Cardiovascular Research Center and Pulmonary Research Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada R S A, M F, L I M O, F E Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Regenerative Medicine Program, Sprott Center for Stem Cell Research, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada A V, S Z, B T Department of Pediatrics, Herman B Wells Center for Pediatrics Research, Division of Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN W C S, P J C, M Y and Department of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM R K O, S M
Circulation 129:2144-57. 2014..We hypothesized that resident ECFCs exist in the developing lung, that they are impaired during arrested alveolar growth in experimental bronchopulmonary dysplasia, and that exogenous ECFCs restore disrupted alveolar growth...
- Long-acting erythropoietin: clinical studies and potential uses in neonatesRobin K Ohls
Department of Pediatrics Neonatology, Developmental Hematopoiesis Laboratory, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Clin Perinatol 31:77-89. 2004..This article reviews these studies and reports on the in vitro effects of Aranesp on human fetal and neonatal erythroid progenitors...
- Developmental changes in circulating IL-8/CXCL8 isoforms in neonatesAkhil Maheshwari
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Cytokine 46:12-6. 2009..Developmental changes in IL-8 isoforms may serve to minimize its inflammatory effects in the fetus and also provide a mechanism to restore its full activity after birth...
- Elevated erythropoietin mRNA and protein concentrations in the developing human eyeShrena Patel
Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Pediatr Res 63:394-7. 2008..Epo mRNA and protein concentrations increase with increasing gestational age and are greater in the vitreous than serum. We speculate that changes in Epo production following preterm delivery might affect retinal vascular development...
- Single-dose darbepoetin administration to anemic preterm neonatesTeresa L Warwood
Intermountain Health Care, Neonatology Clinical Research Group, McKay Dee Hospital, Ogden, UT 84403, USA
J Perinatol 25:725-30. 2005..In certain situations, preterm neonates might benefit from rEpo, and for such patients darbepoetin would require fewer doses at a lower cost. However, the proper dose and dosing interval have not been established...