Affiliation: University of California
- Disparities in the Use of Internet and Telephone Medication Refills among Linguistically Diverse PatientsGerardo Moreno
UCLA Department of Family Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 10880 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 1800, Los Angeles, CA, 90024, USA
J Gen Intern Med 31:282-8. 2016..Remote refill systems may provide an effective approach for improving medication non-adherence, but more research is needed among patients with limited English proficiency with poor access to remote refill systems...
- Neighborhood perceptions and health-related outcomes among latinos with diabetes from a rural agricultural communityGerardo Moreno
Department of Family Medicine, UCLA, 10880 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 1800, Los Angeles, CA, 90024, USA
J Community Health 39:1077-84. 2014..Receipt of recommended processes of care was not associated with perception of neighborhood. Perception of neighborhood problems among low-income rural Latinos with diabetes was independently associated with a higher BMI and BP. ..
- Eight years of building community partnerships and trust: the UCLA family medicine community-based participatory research experienceGerardo Moreno
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars Program, University of California, Los Angeles, 911 Broxton Avenue, Third Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Acad Med 84:1426-33. 2009..Their eight-year experience in the Sun Valley community underscores how academic-community research partnerships can result in benefits of high value to communities and academic departments...
- Self-reported fluency in non-english languages among physicians practicing in CaliforniaGerardo Moreno
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program and Department of Family Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Fam Med 42:414-20. 2010..We sought to compare the non-English language fluency of practicing physicians by physician race/ethnicity and location of medical school education...
- Hablamos Juntos (Together We Speak): interpreters, provider communication, and satisfaction with careGerardo Moreno
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 25:1282-8. 2010..The objective of HJ was to improve doctor-patient communication by increasing access to and quality of interpreter services for Spanish-speaking patients...
- Do physicians with self-reported non-English fluency practice in linguistically disadvantaged communities?Gerardo Moreno
Department of Family Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Gen Intern Med 26:512-7. 2011..It is unclear whether physicians with fluency in non-English languages practice in areas with high concentrations of people with LEP...
- Latinos with diabetes and food insecurity in an agricultural communityGerardo Moreno
UCLA Department of Family Medicine, Los Angeles, CA School of Medicine School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA Department of Psychology at the University of California, Davis Golden Valley Health Centers Inc, Merced UCLA Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Health Services, Los Angeles Community Medical Centers Inc, Stockton UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA
Med Care 53:423-9. 2015..Latinos from agricultural communities have a high prevalence of food insecurity and are at increased risk of obesity and diabetes, yet little is known about the associations between food insecurity and diabetes outcomes...
- Language concordance, interpersonal care, and diabetes self-care in rural Latino patientsAlissa Detz
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 29:1650-6. 2014..Interpersonal care (IPC) is increasingly emphasized as health care systems focus on implementing patient-centered care. Language barriers may be a particularly important influence on IPC ratings among rural Spanish-speaking Latinos...
- The association among specialty, race, ethnicity, and practice location among California physicians in diverse specialtiesKara Odom Walker
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California, 995 Potrero Ave, W 83, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 104:46-52. 2012..Few have investigated whether non-primary care specialists of minority backgrounds are more likely to serve the underserved than nonminority specialists...
- Impact of interpreters on the receipt of new prescription medication information among Spanish-speaking LatinosGerardo Moreno
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Med Care 47:1201-8. 2009..For Latinos, limited English proficiency (LEP) is a barrier to receiving important information about a new medication prescription. Access to interpreters may impact the receipt of important medication-related information...
- Community college pathways: improving the U.S. physician workforce pipelineEfrain Talamantes
Dr Talamantes is a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars Program Fellow, Department of Veterans Affairs, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California Dr Mangione is professor, Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, and Department of Health Policy and Management, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California Ms Gonzalez is a fourth year medical student, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California Dr Jimenez was a fourth year medical student, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, at the time of the study He is now a first year resident, Department of Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California Mr Gonzalez is a community college counselor, San Jose City College, San Jose, California Dr Moreno is assistant professor, Department of Family Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California
Acad Med 89:1649-56. 2014..To examine the association between participation in a community college (CC) pathway, medical school admission, and intentions to practice in underserved communities or work with minority populations...
- Management of cardiovascular disease risk factors in older adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: 2002-2012 literature reviewGerardo Moreno
Department of Family Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
J Am Geriatr Soc 61:2027-37. 2013....