Genomes and Genes
Alexandra H Minn
Affiliation: University of Wisconsin
- Thioredoxin-interacting protein is stimulated by glucose through a carbohydrate response element and induces beta-cell apoptosisAlexandra H Minn
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
Endocrinology 146:2397-405. 2005..Thus, TXNIP is a novel proapoptotic beta-cell gene elevated in insulin resistance/diabetes and up-regulated by glucose through a unique ChoRE and may link glucotoxicity and beta-cell apoptosis...
- Increased insulin translation from an insulin splice-variant overexpressed in diabetes, obesity, and insulin resistanceAlexandra H Minn
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, H4 526 Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
Mol Endocrinol 19:794-803. 2005..This raises the possibility that the mSPV may represent a compensatory beta-cell mechanism to enhance insulin biosynthesis when insulin requirements are elevated by hyperglycemia/insulin resistance...
- Exenatide blocks JAK1-STAT1 in pancreatic beta cellsFrancesca M Couto
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Metabolism 56:915-8. 2007..Thus, these findings suggest that Ex-4 treatment may also be beneficial in type 1 diabetes mellitus, where it may help protect beta cells from cytokine-induced cell death by inhibiting JAK1-STAT1...
- Gene expression profiling in INS-1 cells overexpressing thioredoxin-interacting proteinAlexandra H Minn
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, WI, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 336:770-8. 2005..Thus, aside from regulating the cellular redox, TXNIP does modulate overall gene transcription and thereby may further enhance beta-cell death and impair insulin secretion...
- Metabolism-independent sugar effects on gene transcription: the role of 3-O-methylglucoseAlexandra H Minn
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
Biochemistry 45:11047-51. 2006....
- Insulinomas and expression of an insulin splice variantAlexandra H Minn
Department of Medicine, Endocrinology Section, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Lancet 363:363-7. 2004..This splice variant has increased translation efficiency in vitro and in vivo compared with native insulin mRNA. However, splice variant expression is less than 1% of native insulin mRNA in normal islets...
- Exenatide inhibits beta-cell apoptosis by decreasing thioredoxin-interacting proteinJunqin Chen
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 346:1067-74. 2006..Thus, Ex-4 inhibits apoptosis by reducing TXNIP expression and early initiation of Ex-4 treatment may help preserve endogenous beta-cell mass, protect against oxidative stress, and delay type 2 diabetes progression...
- Resistin is expressed in pancreatic isletsAlexandra H Minn
Endocrinology Section, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 310:641-5. 2003..Our results demonstrate that resistin is expressed in islets and up-regulated in insulin resistance and thereby shed new light on the role of resistin in mice and humans...