Affiliation: University of Southern California
- Randomized Controlled Trial of an Internet Application to Reduce HIV Transmission Behavior Among HIV Infected Men Who have Sex with MenJoel Milam
Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 2001 Soto Building, MC9239, Los Angeles, CA, 90032, USA
AIDS Behav 20:1173-81. 2016..These improvements suggest that addition of the risk-reduction messages provided little benefit beyond the self-monitoring of risky behavior via regular self-report risk behavior assessments (as was done in both study arms). ..
- Substance use among adolescent and young adult cancer survivorsJoel Milam
Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychooncology 25:1357-1362. 2016..The objective of this study is to examine substance use behaviors of recently treated Hispanic and non-Hispanic CCS...
- Competing definitions of contextual environmentsZaria Tatalovich
Department of Geography, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 0255, USA
Int J Health Geogr 5:55. 2006..The sensitivity of census variable estimates to the choice of community boundaries and weights was assessed using standard tests of significance...
- Posttraumatic growth and HIV disease progressionJoel Milam
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033 9175, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 74:817-27. 2006..PTG was inversely associated with viral load among those low (vs. high) in pessimism. Although PTG was inversely associated with depressive symptoms, alcohol, and illicit drug use, these factors did not account for the findings...
- Correlates of unprotected sex among adult heterosexual men living with HIVJoel Milam
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Southern California, 1441 Eastlake Avenue MS9175, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Urban Health 83:669-81. 2006..Prevention efforts among sexually active adult heterosexual men living with HIV may benefit from focusing on improving attitudes towards condom use regardless of partner relationship status...
- Effect of a brief antiretroviral adherence intervention delivered by HIV care providersJoel Milam
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 40:356-63. 2005..More intensive intervention is needed to improve adherence among patients who are initially less than 95% adherent...
- Parental stress and childhood wheeze in a prospective cohort studyJoel Milam
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
J Asthma 45:319-23. 2008..Although studies indicate that psychological stress is linked with asthma morbidity, it is unknown whether stress is associated with the incidence of asthma symptoms...
- Effect of brief safer-sex counseling by medical providers to HIV-1 seropositive patients: a multi-clinic assessmentJean L Richardson
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 90033, USA
AIDS 18:1179-86. 2004..To test the efficacy of brief, safer-sex counseling by medical providers of HIV-positive patients during medical visits...
- Use of and adherence to antiretroviral therapy is associated with decreased sexual risk behavior in HIV clinic patientsCatherine Diamond
University of California Irvine Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Orange, CA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:211-8. 2005..6 (95% CI 0.5-0.8, P < 0.001). Contrary to expectations, use of and adherence to ART and their consequent suppression of HIV were associated with a decreased prevalence of self-reported risky sexual behavior...
- Using patient risk indicators to plan prevention strategies in the clinical care settingJean L Richardson
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 37:S88-94. 2004..These factors can be easily assessed and used as a basis for tailoring safer sex counseling in the clinic setting...
- Trait mindfulness helps shield decision-making from translating into health-risk behaviorDavid S Black
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Adolesc Health 51:588-92. 2012..The present study examined the moderating effect of trait mindfulness on associations between intentions to smoke (ITS)/smoking refusal self-efficacy (SRSE) and smoking frequency...
- Mental health disparities between Hispanic and non-Hispanic parents of childhood cancer survivorsKathleen A Meeske
Children s Center for Cancer and Blood Diseases, Children s Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90402, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 60:1470-7. 2013..However, little is known about cultural variation in this experience. We examine parental distress, specifically symptoms of post-traumatic stress (PTSS) and depression, comparing Hispanic and non-Hispanic parents of CCS...
- Rodent allergen in Los Angeles inner city homes of children with asthmaJill Berg
School of Nursing at the University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Urban Health 85:52-61. 2008..Many of the predictors of rodent allergen are amenable to low-cost interventions that can be integrated with other measures to reduce exposure to indoor allergens...
- The association between contextual socioeconomic factors and prevalent asthma in a cohort of Southern California school childrenKetan Shankardass
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Soc Sci Med 65:1792-806. 2007..g., lower SES may associate with higher protective exposures to endotoxin in early life), or by SEP acting as a proxy for unmeasured neighborhood characteristics...
- Factors associated with high transmission risk and detectable plasma HIV RNA in HIV-infected MSM on ARTJill Blumenthal
The University California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Int J STD AIDS 25:734-41. 2014..042). High risk HIV transmission behaviour with viraemia occurred in 10% of the cohort. Future efforts to reduce HIV transmission among MSM on ART will require combined interventions that target risk-taking behaviours and substance use. ..
- Exploring peers as a mediator of the association between depression and smoking in young adolescentsAnamara Ritt-Olson
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Alhambra, CA 91803, USA
Subst Use Misuse 40:77-98. 2005..Peer influence was related to depressed affect for both genders. These results provide evidence that peer influences are an important variable to take into consideration when addressing a depression smoking relationship...
- Parental stress increases the detrimental effect of traffic exposure on children's lung functionTalat Islam
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:822-7. 2011..Emerging evidence indicates that psychosocial stress enhances the effect of traffic exposure on the development of asthma...
- Social environment and asthma: associations with crime and No Child Left Behind programmesKetan Shankardass
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Epidemiol Community Health 65:859-65. 2011..The relationship between asthma and socio-economic status remains unclear. The authors investigated how neighbourhood, school and community social environments were associated with incident asthma in Southern California schoolchildren...
- Sitting-meditation interventions among youth: a review of treatment efficacyDavid S Black
University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, Alhambra, CA 91803 4737, USA
Pediatrics 124:e532-41. 2009..We systematically reviewed empirical studies for the health-related effects of sitting-meditative practices implemented among youth aged 6 to 18 years in school, clinic, and community settings...
- Spirituality in addictions treatment: wisdom to know…what it isSteve Sussman
1Departments of Preventive Medicine and Psychology, Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Subst Use Misuse 48:1203-17. 2013....
- Psychometric assessment of the Mindful Attention Awareness Scale (MAAS) among Chinese adolescentsDavid S Black
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Assessment 19:42-52. 2012..The findings suggest that the MAAS is a sound measure of trait mindfulness among Chinese adolescents. To reduce respondent burden, the MAAS 6-item short-scale provides an option to measure trait mindfulness...
- Cockroach counts and house dust allergen concentrations after professional cockroach control and cleaningRob McConnell
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 91:546-52. 2003..However, there have been few studies of interventions to reduce exposures in this setting...
- The protective influence of spirituality and "Health-as-a-Value" against monthly substance use among adolescents varying in riskAnamara Ritt-Olson
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California, Alhambra, California 91803, USA
J Adolesc Health 34:192-9. 2004..To investigate the influence of two potentially protective factors, Health-as-a-Value and spirituality, on monthly alcohol, cigarette, and marijuana use in two multiethnic groups of adolescents varying in risk...
- Shared health characteristics in Hispanic colorectal cancer patients and their primary social support person following primary diagnosisDavid S Black
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychooncology 25:1028-35. 2016....
- Are HIV care providers talking with patients about safer sex and disclosure?: A multi-clinic assessmentGary Marks
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS 16:1953-7. 2002..To examine HIV-positive patients' reports of whether HIV care providers ever talked with them about practicing safer sex and disclosing seropositive status to sex partners...
- Use of erectile dysfunction medication and unsafe sex among HIV+ men who have sex with men in careGary Marks
Int J STD AIDS 16:271-2. 2005