HANNA KATRI ANNIKKI MIKKOLA
Affiliation: University of California
- Transcriptional activators, repressors, and epigenetic modifiers controlling hematopoietic stem cell developmentMichael A Teitell
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, 90095, USA
Pediatr Res 59:33R-9R. 2006....
- The journey of developing hematopoietic stem cellsHanna K A Mikkola
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Development 133:3733-44. 2006..Elucidating the interactions between developing HSCs and their niches should facilitate the generation and expansion of HSCs in vitro to exploit their clinical potential...
- Expansion on stromal cells preserves the undifferentiated state of human hematopoietic stem cells despite compromised reconstitution abilityMattias Magnusson
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e53912. 2013....
- Hematopoietic stem cells in transit--where's the niche?Mattias Magnusson
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell Stem Cell 2:302-4. 2008..An improved understanding of Egr1 targets may lead to better strategies to expand populations of HSCs ex vivo for therapeutic applications...
- The hematopoietic stem cell and its niche: a comparative viewJulian A Martinez-Agosto
Department of Human Genetics and Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Genes Dev 21:3044-60. 2007....
- Placenta as a newly identified source of hematopoietic stem cellsLydia K Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 17:313-8. 2010..Given that the placenta has been recently unveiled as a major hematopoietic organ that supports HSC development, the purpose of this review is to present current advances in defining the origin and regulation of placental HSCs...
- Derivation of primordial germ cells from human embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells is significantly improved by coculture with human fetal gonadal cellsTae Sub Park
Department of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Stem Cells 27:783-95. 2009....
- The emergence of hematopoietic stem cells is initiated in the placental vasculature in the absence of circulationKatrin E Rhodes
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell Stem Cell 2:252-63. 2008..These data suggest that, in addition to providing a niche for a large pool of HSCs prior to liver colonization, the placenta is a true site of HSC generation...
- Mef2C is a lineage-restricted target of Scl/Tal1 and regulates megakaryopoiesis and B-cell homeostasisChristos Gekas
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Blood 113:3461-71. 2009..In summary, this work identifies Mef2C as an integral member of hematopoietic transcription factors with distinct upstream regulatory mechanisms and functional requirements in megakaryocyte and B-lymphoid lineages...
- Isolation and visualization of mouse placental hematopoietic stem cellsChristos Gekas
University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Curr Protoc Stem Cell Biol . 2008..It also contains a method for immunohistochemical analysis of placenta tissue sections to visualize developing HSCs in the placenta...
- The placenta is a niche for hematopoietic stem cellsChristos Gekas
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and, Childrens Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Dev Cell 8:365-75. 2005..Importantly, the placental HSC pool is not explained by rare circulating HSCs, which appear later. These data support an important, but unappreciated, role for the placenta in establishing the mammalian definitive hematopoietic system...
- Placenta as a site for hematopoietic stem cell developmentHanna K A Mikkola
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Children s Hospital, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Exp Hematol 33:1048-54. 2005....
- Expression of CD41 marks the initiation of definitive hematopoiesis in the mouse embryoHanna K A Mikkola
Department of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Blood 101:508-16. 2003..Although CD41 is commonly referred to as megakaryocyte-platelet integrin in adult hematopoiesis, these results implicate a wider role for CD41 during murine ontogeny...
- Haematopoietic stem cells retain long-term repopulating activity and multipotency in the absence of stem-cell leukaemia SCL/tal-1 geneHanna K A Mikkola
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Children s Hospital and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 421:547-51. 2003..These findings contrast with lineage choice mechanisms, in which the identity of haematopoietic lineages requires continuous transcription factor expression...
- Tie2Cre-mediated gene ablation defines the stem-cell leukemia gene (SCL/tal1)-dependent window during hematopoietic stem-cell developmentThorsten M Schlaeger
Division of Hematology Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 105:3871-4. 2005..These results indicate that the SCL-dependent phase of HSC development ends before Tie2Cre-mediated gene ablation becomes effective...
- The search for the hemangioblastHanna K A Mikkola
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Children s Hospital, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Hematother Stem Cell Res 11:9-17. 2002