Jaime R Merchan
Affiliation: University of Miami
- A Phase I Clinical, Pharmacokinetic, and Pharmacodynamic Study of Weekly or Every Three Week Ixabepilone and Daily Sunitinib in Patients with Advanced Solid TumorsAlberto J Montero
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami, Florida
Clin Cancer Res 22:3209-17. 2016..To evaluate the safety, MTD, pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, and early clinical activity of ixabepilone given either weekly or every 3 weeks in combination with daily sunitinib in patients with advanced solid tumors...
- Safety and activity of temsirolimus and bevacizumab in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma previously treated with tyrosine kinase inhibitors: a phase 2 consortium studyJaime R Merchan
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Miami, 1475 NW 12 Avenue Suite 3400, Miami, FL, 33136, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 75:485-93. 2015..This phase I/II trial was conducted to determine the safety of combining both agents and its efficacy in RCC patients who progressed on at least one prior anti-VEGF receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor (RTKI) agent...
- Phase II study of gemcitabine, oxaliplatin, and cetuximab in advanced pancreatic cancerJaime R Merchan
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 35:446-50. 2012..Little progress has been made in the treatment of pancreatic cancer (PC). This study evaluated the clinical activity of gemcitabine, oxaliplatin, and cetuximab (GOC) in patients with locally advanced or metastatic PC...
- Protease activity of urokinase and tumor progression in a syngeneic mammary cancer modelJaime R Merchan
Department of Oncology, Mayo College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:756-64. 2006..Here we assessed the effects of plasminogen activator overexpression on tumor progression in a syngeneic mammary cancer model...
- Antiangiogenic activity of 2-deoxy-D-glucoseJaime R Merchan
Department of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e13699. 2010..Since glucose uptake and metabolism are increased to meet this energy need, the effects of the glycolytic inhibitor 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG) on in vitro and in vivo angiogenesis were investigated...
- Increased endothelial uptake of paclitaxel as a potential mechanism for its antiangiogenic effects: potentiation by Cox-2 inhibitionJaime R Merchan
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, the Center for Study of the Tumor Microenvironment, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Cancer 113:490-8. 2005..Low dose paclitaxel in combination with a Cox-2 inhibitor is an attractive antiangiogenic and antitumor strategy that deserves further evaluation in clinical trials...
- Tumor and vascular targeting of a novel oncolytic measles virus retargeted against the urokinase receptorYuqi Jing
Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Cancer Res 69:1459-68. 2009..This is the first retargeted oncolytic MV able to replicate in murine cells and target tumor vasculature in a uPAR-dependent manner...
- Role of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 in urokinase's paradoxical in vivo tumor suppressing or promoting effectsYuqi Jing
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Mol Cancer Res 10:1271-81. 2012..Our studies uncover novel mechanisms of in vivo tumor control by modulation of the balance between tumor proteases and inhibitors, which may be exploited therapeutically...
- A retrospective study of neoadjuvant FOLFIRINOX in unresectable or borderline-resectable locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinomaPeter J Hosein
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami, FL, USA
BMC Cancer 12:199. 2012..We investigated this combination as neoadjuvant therapy for locally advanced pancreatic cancer (LAPC)...
- A phase II trial of nab-Paclitaxel as second-line therapy in patients with advanced pancreatic cancerPeter J Hosein
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins Singapore International Medical Center, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Am J Clin Oncol 36:151-6. 2013..This study was designed to determine the efficacy of nab-paclitaxel monotherapy in previously treated pancreatic cancer patients...
- Successful use of Trastuzumab with anthracycline-based chemotherapy followed by trastuzumab maintenance in patients with advanced HER2-positive gastric cancerSofia Palacio
1475 NW 12th Avenue Suite 3400, Miami, 33136, FL, U S A
Anticancer Res 34:301-6. 2014..Data are lacking for the combination of trastuzumab with other chemotherapy regimens, apart from the cisplatin/fluorouracil backbone used in the pivotal TOGA trial...
- Pazopanib versus sunitinib in metastatic renal-cell carcinomaRobert J Motzer
Department of Medicine, Genitourinary Oncology Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
N Engl J Med 369:722-31. 2013..This phase 3, randomized trial compared the efficacy and safety of pazopanib and sunitinib as first-line therapy...
- Combined histone deacetylase and cyclooxygenase inhibition achieves enhanced antiangiogenic effects in lung cancer cellsXiaoqi Wang
Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Division of Hematology Oncology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
Mol Carcinog 52:218-28. 2013..Overall, our results suggest that combined HDACI and COX inhibition should be explored clinically to achieve more meaningful benefits from HDACI therapy in lung cancer...
- 2-Deoxy-Glucose Downregulates Endothelial AKT and ERK via Interference with N-Linked Glycosylation, Induction of Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress, and GSK3β ActivationKrisztina Kovacs
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami, Florida
Mol Cancer Ther 15:264-75. 2016....
- Targeted measles virus vector displaying echistatin infects endothelial cells via alpha(v)beta3 and leads to tumor regressionLouay K Hallak
Molecular Medicine Program, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer Res 65:5292-300. 2005..The specificity, potency, and feasibility of MV-ERV infection clearly show the potential use of MV-ERV in gene therapy for targeting tumor-associated vasculature for the treatment of solid tumors...
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress induced by 2-deoxyglucose but not glucose starvation activates AMPK through CaMKKβ leading to autophagyHaibin Xi
Sheila and David Fuente Graduate Program in Cancer Biology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1550 NW 10th Avenue, Fox Building 406, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 85:1463-77. 2013..Taken together, our data support a model where under normoxia therapeutic (2-DG) and physiologic (GS) glucose restriction differentially activate autophagy, while under hypoxia they similarly inhibit it...
- Percutaneous Image-Guided Irreversible Electroporation for the Treatment of Unresectable, Locally Advanced Pancreatic AdenocarcinomaGovindarajan Narayanan
Department of Interventional Radiology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1475 NW 12th Avenue, C 080, Miami, FL 33136 Electronic address
J Vasc Interv Radiol . 2016..To describe safety and effectiveness of percutaneous irreversible electroporation (IRE) for treatment of unresectable, locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma (LAPC)...
- A scoring algorithm to predict survival for patients with metastatic clear cell renal cell carcinoma: a stratification tool for prospective clinical trialsBradley C Leibovich
Department of Urology, Mayo Medical School, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Urol 174:1759-63; discussion 1763. 2005..We developed a clinically useful scoring algorithm to predict cancer specific survival for patients with clear cell metastatic renal cell carcinoma (RCC)...
- Sunitinib in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinomaRobert J Motzer
Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
JAMA 295:2516-24. 2006..Sunitinib malate is an oral multitargeted tyrosine kinase inhibitor, which has shown activity in an initial study of cytokine-refractory metastatic RCC patients...
- Full dose neoadjuvant FOLFIRINOX is associated with prolonged survival in patients with locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinomaMoh d Khushman
University of Miami, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami, FL, USA
Pancreatology 15:667-73. 2015..This study retrospectively analyzed a cohort of patients with locally-advanced pancreatic cancer (LAPC) treated with FOLFIRINOX...
- Preclinical safety and activity of recombinant VSV-IFN-β in an immunocompetent model of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neckVittal V S Kurisetty
Division of Hematology and Oncology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
Head Neck 36:1619-27. 2014..In preparation for clinical testing in human squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the head and neck, we conducted preclinical studies of VSV-IFN-β in syngeneic SCC models...
- In vivo anti-metastatic effects of uPAR retargeted measles virus in syngeneic and xenograft models of mammary cancerYuqi Jing
Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, 1475 NW 12th Avenue, Suite 3300, Miami, FL, 33136, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 149:99-108. 2015..The above preclinical findings strongly suggest that uPAR retargeted measles virotherapy is a novel and feasible systemic therapy strategy against metastatic breast cancer...
- In vitro and in vivo induction of antiangiogenic activity by plasminogen activators and captoprilJaime R Merchan
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine and the Center for Study of the Tumor Microenvironment, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:388-99. 2003..We thus investigated whether the antiangiogenic activity in plasma could be increased by treatment with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator (rt-PA) and the sulfhydryl donor captopril...
- Biomarkers for VEGF and mTOR Blockade in Advanced Renal CancerJaime Merchan; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information will be extremely useful for the design of future trials using these agents in renal and other cancers and for future clinical practice. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..