Thomas W Meeks
Affiliation: University of California
- Medications in long-term care: when less is moreThomas W Meeks
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Geriatric Psychiatry, University of California, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 27:171-91. 2011....
- The neurobiology of neuropsychiatric syndromes in dementiaThomas W Meeks
Division of Geriatric Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, and Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Curr Opin Psychiatry 19:581-6. 2006..Neuropsychiatric disturbances in dementia are prevalent, and research is uncovering their neurobiological correlates...
- Complementary and alternative treatments for late-life depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbance: a review of randomized controlled trialsThomas W Meeks
Division of Geriatric Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1461-71. 2007..We reviewed randomized controlled trials of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) treatments for depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbance in nondemented older adults...
- Chronic pain and depression among geriatric psychiatry inpatientsThomas W Meeks
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Geriatric Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 23:637-42. 2008..We examined whether chronic pain among depressed geriatric inpatients was associated with several clinical variables-comorbid psychiatric and medical diagnoses, length of hospitalization, suicidal ideation, and sleep duration...
- Emotional and cognitive health correlates of leisure activities in older Latino and Caucasian womenAngelica P Herrera
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, San Diego, USA
Psychol Health Med 16:661-74. 2011..Latino and Caucasian women participate in different patterns of leisure activities. Additionally, ethnicity significantly affects the relationship between leisure activities and both emotional and cognitive health...
- New wine in old bottle: late-life psychosisAlana Iglewicz
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, Mail Code 0664, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 34:295-318, vii. 2011..As such, this article focuses on the nonaffective, neuropsychiatric causes of chronic psychosis in the elderly, specifically schizophrenia, delusional disorder, and the psychosis of AD and other dementias...
- Defining and assessing wisdom: a review of the literatureKatherine J Bangen
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA Electronic address
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 21:1254-66. 2013..Such work will have relevance for the fields of geriatrics, psychiatry, psychology, sociology, education, and public health, among others. ..
- Subthreshold depression and successful aging in older womenIpsit V Vahia
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:212-20. 2010....
- A tune in "a minor" can "b major": a review of epidemiology, illness course, and public health implications of subthreshold depression in older adultsThomas W Meeks
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, UCSD, United States
J Affect Disord 129:126-42. 2011..We termed these syndromes subthreshold depression, including minor depression and subsyndromal depression...
- Research agenda for DSM-V: diagnostic categories and criteria for neuropsychiatric syndromes in dementiaDilip V Jeste
Division of Geriatric Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 19:160-71. 2006..The high emotional and economic costs of neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia implore diagnostic refinement to facilitate improved treatment...
- Expert consensus on characteristics of wisdom: a Delphi method studyDilip V Jeste
Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging, and Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Gerontologist 50:668-80. 2010..We sought to better characterize this concept via an expert consensus panel using a 2-phase Delphi method...
- The Mental Health of Older LGBT AdultsBrandon C Yarns
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, 300 George Street, Suite 901, New Haven, CT, 06511, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 18:60. 2016..Improved education and training of clinicians, coupled with clinical research efforts, holds the promise of improved overall health and life quality for older LGBT adults. ..
- Neurobiology of wisdom: a literature overviewThomas W Meeks
Department of Psychiatry and Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging, University of California, San Diego, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:355-65. 2009..Wisdom is a unique psychological trait noted since antiquity, long discussed in humanities disciplines, recently operationalized by psychology and sociology researchers, but largely unexamined in psychiatry or biology...
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use in geriatric psychiatry clinicsThomas W Meeks
J Altern Complement Med 13:705-7. 2007