W J McCarthy
Affiliation: University of California
- Chapter 6: Lung cancer in never smokers: epidemiology and risk prediction modelsWilliam J McCarthy
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control Research, University of California Los Angeles, 650 Charles Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6900, USA
Risk Anal 32:S69-84. 2012..We also compare the prevalence of never smokers between the three CISNET smoking scenarios and present the corresponding lung cancer mortality estimates among never smokers as predicted by a typical CISNET model...
- Exploring the uncertainties of early detection results: model-based interpretation of mayo lung projectLu Shi
Department of Health Services, 650 Charles E, Young Drive S, 61 253 CHS, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
BMC Cancer 11:92. 2011..This study is intended to provide model-based testing for some of these important arguments...
- Individual change amid stable smoking patterns in polydrug users over 3 yearsW J McCarthy
UCLA Drug Abuse Research Center, Los Angeles, CA USA
Addict Behav 26:143-9. 2001..Intermittent smoking status appeared to be a temporary "way station" between the two more stable everyday smoker and nonsmoker classifications. Results challenge current assumptions about "occasional" or "chipper" smokers...
- Psychosocial versus nicotine-only self-report measures for predicting follow-up smoking statusW J McCarthy
UCLA Division of Cancer Prevention and Control Research, A2 125 CHS, 650 Young Drive, Los Angeles, California 90095 6900, USA
J Behav Med 24:75-91. 2001..Results suggest that when past smoking behavior is known, a respondent's legal status and alcohol use may be more useful than a measure of tobacco dependence for predicting future smoking status...
- To smoke or not to smoke: impact on disability, quality of life, and illicit drug use in baseline polydrug usersWilliam J McCarthy
UCLA Division of Cancer Prevention and Control Research, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6900, USA
J Addict Dis 21:35-54. 2002..Illicit drug use did not affect SF-36 ratings. Findings suggest that tobacco use by polydrug users is related to disability rates, to illicit drug use and to variations in daily functioning...
- Density of tobacco retailers near schools: effects on tobacco use among studentsWilliam J McCarthy
School of Public Health and the Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Am J Public Health 99:2006-13. 2009..We examined the relationship between students' tobacco use and the density and proximity of tobacco retailers near their schools...
- Overweight and depressive symptoms among African-American womenJ M Siegel
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Prev Med 31:232-40. 2000..This study examines overweight and depressive symptoms among urban African-American women, taking into account demographic factors, health status and practices, and psychosocial constructs...
- Differential response to targeted recruitment strategies to fitness promotion research by African-American women of varying body mass indexA K Yancey
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control Research, UCLA School of Public Health and Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Ethn Dis 11:115-23. 2001..To assess patterns of recruitment into a community-based NCI-funded physical activity and dietary lifestyle change program targeting African-American women...