Anurag N Malani
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Clinical and economic outcomes from a community hospital's antimicrobial stewardship programAnurag N Malani
Department of Internal Medicine, Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Infect Control 41:145-8. 2013..Data from community antimicrobial stewardship programs (ASPs) are limited. We describe clinical and economic outcomes from the first year of our hospital's ASP...
- Cardiobacterium hominis endocarditis: Two cases and a review of the literatureA N Malani
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Michigan Medical School, Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, 2215 Fuller Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:587-95. 2006..The cure rate among 60 patients reviewed was 93% (56/60). For prosthetic valve endocarditis, the cure rate was 16/17 (94%). Valve replacement was required in 27 (45%) cases...
- Voriconazole-induced photosensitivityAnurag N Malani
Division of Infectious Diseases, St Joseph Mercy Hospital, 5333 McAuley Dr Suite 3106, Ypsilanti, MI 48197, USA
Clin Med Res 6:83-5. 2008..We report a case of voriconazole-induced phototoxicity in a 50-year-old male with Candida parapsilosis endocarditis that reversed on discontinuation of the drug...
- Candida urinary tract infections: treatment optionsAnurag N Malani
Division of Infectious Diseases, Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Health System, 2215 Fuller Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 5:277-84. 2007..Rarely, amphotericin B or flucytosine are used. Newer azole agents and echinocandins are not recommended for the treatment of urinary tract infections since they fail to achieve adequate urine concentrations...
- Changing epidemiology of rare mould infections: implications for therapyAnurag N Malani
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Michigan Health System, Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Drugs 67:1803-12. 2007..It is not known whether posaconazole is effective as primary therapy for zygomycosis; the use of this agent for that purpose awaits clinical trials with the recently developed intravenous formulation of posaconazole...
- Fungemia associated with left ventricular assist device supportNatasha G Bagdasarian
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Card Surg 24:763-5. 2009..While relatively uncommon, fungal infections present a serious concern given a high association with adverse events including death. We sought to further characterize the epidemiology of fungemias during LVAD support...
- Voriconazole: How to Use This Antifungal Agent and What to ExpectAnurag N Malani
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, St Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 36:786-95. 2015..With prolonged use, newly described adverse effects, including periostitis, alopecia, and development of skin cancers, have been noted. ..
- Plasma fluoride level as a predictor of voriconazole-induced periostitis in patients with skeletal painWoo J Moon
Department of Internal Medicine, St Joseph Mercy Hospital
Clin Infect Dis 59:1237-45. 2014..The trifluorinated molecular structure of voriconazole suggests a possible link between excess fluoride and periostitis, as elevated blood fluoride has been reported among patients with periostitis who received voriconazole...
- Inappropriate testing for urinary tract infection in hospitalized patients: an opportunity for improvementSarah Hartley
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 34:1204-7. 2013..Lack of documentation and important clinical scenarios (before orthopedic procedures and when the patient has altered mental status without a urinary catheter) are highlighted as areas of use outside of current guidelines. ..
- Magnetic resonance imaging screening to identify spinal and paraspinal infections associated with injections of contaminated methylprednisolone acetateAnurag N Malani
Section of Infectious Diseases, St Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
JAMA 309:2465-72. 2013..The clinical findings are often subtle and similar to those that led the patient to undergo the methylprednisolone injection...
- Is age a risk factor for Candida glabrata colonisation?Anurag N Malani
Division of Infectious Diseases, Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System and University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Mycoses 54:531-7. 2011..Dentures are strongly associated with colonisation with any yeast and with C. glabrata. Further study is needed to evaluate the relationship of these findings to increasing C. glabrata infections in older adults...
- Zygomycosis: an emerging fungal infection with new options for managementCarol A Kauffman
Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System, 2215 Fuller Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Curr Infect Dis Rep 9:435-40. 2007..Lipid formulations of amphotericin B are the treatments of choice. The use of posaconazole has been successful in salvage trials but should not be used as first-line therapy until an effective intravenous formulation is available...
- Outbreak of fungal infections associated with contaminated methylprednisolone acetate: an updateApril C Pettit
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
Curr Infect Dis Rep 17:441. 2015..However, it is clear that a strong relationship between clinicians caring for patients and public health as well as a rapid, effective public health response was critical in preventing additional cases of disease. ..
- Therapeutic drug monitoring and use of an adjusted body weight strategy for high-dose voriconazole therapyPatrick G Richards
Department of Pharmacy, St Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother . 2017..We evaluated voriconazole trough measurements for this dosing scheme, as well as the use of adjusted body weight dosing for obese patients...
- (1,3)-β-d-glucan in cerebrospinal fluid for diagnosis of fungal meningitis associated with contaminated methylprednisolone injectionsAnurag N Malani
Department of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, St Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Clin Microbiol 53:799-803. 2015..Further study on the utility of CSF BDG testing for other types of fungal meningitis is needed. ..
- PosaconazoleCarol A Kauffman
Nat Rev Drug Discov 6:183-4. 2007