Susan M Majka
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Identification of novel resident pulmonary stem cells: form and function of the lung side populationSusan M Majka
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Section, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East 9th Avenue, SOM 3811, mail stop B 133, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Stem Cells 23:1073-81. 2005..The identification of this target population will potentially allow earlier treatment and, long term, a functional restoration of injured pulmonary tissue and lung health...
- Pleiotropic role of VEGF-A in regulating fetal pulmonary mesenchymal cell turnoverS Majka
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Section, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E 9th Ave, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 290:L1183-92. 2006....
- Evidence for cell fusion is absent in vascular lesions associated with pulmonary arterial hypertensionS M Majka
Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 295:L1028-39. 2008..We found no evidence of increased ploidy to suggest cell fusion. Taken together, these data suggest that abnormal lesion formation in PAH occurs in the absence of cell fusion...
- Reduction of reactive oxygen species prevents hypoxia-induced CREB depletion in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cellsDwight J Klemm
Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Laboratory, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 58:181-91. 2011..The data indicate that CREB levels in the arterial wall are regulated in part by oxidants produced in response to hypoxia and that CREB plays a crucial role in regulating SMC phenotype and PA remodeling...
- De novo generation of white adipocytes from the myeloid lineage via mesenchymal intermediates is age, adipose depot, and gender specificSusan M Majka
Charles C Gates Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Biology Program, Department of Pediatrics, Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Laboratory, University of Colorado, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14781-6. 2010..BMP-derived adipocytes may, therefore, account in part for adipose depot heterogeneity and detrimental changes in adipose metabolism and inflammation with aging and adiposity...
- Analysis and isolation of adipocytes by flow cytometrySusan M Majka
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Methods Enzymol 537:281-96. 2014..These procedures are applicable to simple analysis of adipocytes and their subcellular constituents by flow cytometry as well as isolation of adipocytes by flow sorting. ..
- Attenuated Pik3r1 expression prevents insulin resistance and adipose tissue macrophage accumulation in diet-induced obese miceCarrie E McCurdy
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Diabetes 61:2495-505. 2012....
- Concise review: adipocyte origins: weighing the possibilitiesSusan M Majka
Gates Center for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Stem Cells 29:1034-40. 2011..This review will examine each of these process and their relevance to normal adipose tissue formation and contribution to obesity-related diseases...
- Osteoblasts derived from induced pluripotent stem cells form calcified structures in scaffolds both in vitro and in vivoGanna Bilousova
Charles C Gates Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Biology Program, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Stem Cells 29:206-16. 2011....
- Isolation & characterization of Hoechst(low) CD45(negative) mouse lung mesenchymal stem cellsKelsey S Chow
Charles C Gates Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Biology Program, University of Colorado Denver, USA
J Vis Exp . 2011....
- De novo generation of adipocytes from circulating progenitor cells in mouse and human adipose tissueKathleen M Gavin
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology, and Division of Pulmonary Sciences and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Flow Cytometry Shared Resource, Molecular Pathology Cytogenetics Shared Resource, University of Colorado Cancer Center, Charles C Gates Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Biology, and Colorado Obesity Research Initiative, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado, USA Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory, Children s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, Colorado, USA and Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, and Center for Stem Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
FASEB J 30:1096-108. 2016..F., Helm, K. M., Acosta, A. S., Childs, C. R., Musselwhite, E., Varella-Garcia, M., Kelly, K., Majka, S. M., Klemm, D. J. De novo generation of adipocytes from circulating progenitor cells in mouse and human adipose tissue. ..
- Rosiglitazone promotes development of a novel adipocyte population from bone marrow-derived circulating progenitor cellsJoseph T Crossno
Research Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO, USA
J Clin Invest 116:3220-8. 2006..We conclude that TZDs and high-fat feeding promote the trafficking of BM-derived circulating progenitor cells to adipose tissue and their differentiation into ML adipocytes...
- Mice deficient in galectin-1 exhibit attenuated physiological responses to chronic hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertensionD Case
Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Laboratory, Division of Cardiology and Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Science Center, 4200 E 9th Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 292:L154-64. 2007..These results suggest that Gal-1 influences the contractile response to hypoxia and subsequent remodeling during hypoxia-induced PH, which influences disease progression...
- Depletion of cAMP-response element-binding protein/ATF1 inhibits adipogenic conversion of 3T3-L1 cells ectopically expressing CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein (C/EBP) alpha, C/EBP beta, or PPAR gamma 2Keith E Fox
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
J Biol Chem 281:40341-53. 2006..The data also indicate that CREB not only functions during the initiation of adipogenic conversion but also at later stages...
- Adult lung side population cells have mesenchymal stem cell potentialJ Martin
Division of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Pulmonary Laboratory, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Cytotherapy 10:140-51. 2008..METHODS We carried these observations forward by analyzing the MSC potential of single-cell clones, as well as their chromosomal stability and telomerase activity...
- Neonatal lung side population cells demonstrate endothelial potential and are altered in response to hyperoxia-induced lung simplificationD Irwin
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Pulmonary Research Section, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293:L941-51. 2007..The hyperoxia-induced changes in lung SP cells may limit their ability to effectively contribute to tissue morphogenesis during room air recovery...
- Altered phenotype and reduced function of muscle-derived hematopoietic stem cellsShannon L McKinney-Freeman
Center for Cell and Gene Therapy, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Exp Hematol 31:806-14. 2003..Here we sought to clarify contradictions in the literature regarding the phenotype of ms-HSC and precisely define the hematopoietic origin of these cells...
- Distinct progenitor populations in skeletal muscle are bone marrow derived and exhibit different cell fates during vascular regenerationSusan M Majka
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Center for Cell and Gene Therapy, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Clin Invest 111:71-9. 2003..Thus, distinct populations of vascular progenitors are resident within skeletal muscle, are derived from bone marrow, and exhibit different cell fates during injury-induced vascular regeneration...
- Stem cells: a minireviewKathyjo A Jackson
Center for Cell and Gene Therapy and Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Cell Biochem Suppl 38:1-6. 2002..Caution is urged when interpreting these types of experiments because although they are stimulating, limitations of the technologies may provide misleading results...