Amalia S Magaret
Affiliation: University of Washington
- Mortality in members of HIV-1 serodiscordant couples in Africa and implications for antiretroviral therapy initiation: results of analyses from a multicenter randomized trialGuy de Bruyn
Perinatal HIV Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
BMC Infect Dis 12:277. 2012....
- Optimizing PCR positivity criterion for detection of herpes simplex virus DNA on skin and mucosaAmalia S Magaret
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, 600 Broadway, Suite 400, Seattle, WA 98122, USA
J Clin Microbiol 45:1618-20. 2007..We found that a cutoff of 50 HSV DNA copies/ml of swab specimen, a level 10-fold lower than our previous cutoff, minimizes misclassification...
- Use of the designation "shedder" in mucosal detection of herpes simplex virus DNA involving repeated samplingA S Magaret
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Sex Transm Infect 85:270-5. 2009..We evaluated two methods to describe detection of herpes simplex virus (HSV) from the genital mucosa...
- Incorporating validation subsets into discrete proportional hazards models for mismeasured outcomesAmalia S Magaret
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, P O Box 359928, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Stat Med 27:5456-70. 2008..We also compare the performance of the validation methods proposed using an example data set...
- Rapidly cleared episodes of oral and anogenital herpes simplex virus shedding in HIV-infected adultsKaren E Mark
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 54:482-8. 2010..To determine whether rapidly cleared episodes of herpes simplex virus (HSV) reactivation occur in HIV-infected adults...
- Rapidly cleared episodes of herpes simplex virus reactivation in immunocompetent adultsKaren E Mark
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98122, USA
J Infect Dis 198:1141-9. 2008..Recent in situ data show the localization of HSV-specific CD8(+) T cells at the dermal epidermal junction next to peripheral sensory nerve endings, suggesting that viral reactivation may occur more frequently than previously appreciated...
- Daily acyclovir for HIV-1 disease progression in people dually infected with HIV-1 and herpes simplex virus type 2: a randomised placebo-controlled trialJairam R Lingappa
Department of Global Health, Seattle, WA, USA
Lancet 375:824-33. 2010..Daily suppression of this herpes virus reduces plasma HIV-1 concentrations, but whether it delays HIV-1 disease progression is unknown. We investigated the effect of acyclovir on HIV-1 progression...
- Determinants of per-coital-act HIV-1 infectivity among African HIV-1-serodiscordant couplesJames P Hughes
Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7232, USA
J Infect Dis 205:358-65. 2012..Knowledge of factors that affect per-act infectivity of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) is important for designing HIV-1 prevention interventions and for the mathematical modeling of the spread of HIV-1...
- Detailed characterization of T cell responses to herpes simplex virus-2 in immune seronegative personsChristine M Posavad
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Immunol 184:3250-9. 2010..Understanding the mechanism(s) by which such responses are elicited may provide important insights in developing novel strategies for preventing acquisition of sexually acquired HSV-2...
- Topical resiquimod 0.01% gel decreases herpes simplex virus type 2 genital shedding: a randomized, controlled trialKaren E Mark
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Infect Dis 195:1324-31. 2007..In animal models, induction of Th1-specific responses modifies experimental herpes simplex virus (HSV) infection...
- Case-crossover analysis of condom use and herpes simplex virus type 2 acquisitionJeffrey D Stanaway
Departments of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Sex Transm Dis 39:388-93. 2012..The case-crossover design offers increased control of individual-level confounders, and was thus used with the aim of producing a more accurate estimate of the effect of condom use on HSV-2 acquisition...
- Diversity in CD8(+) T cell function and epitope breadth among persons with genital herpesKerry J Laing
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
J Clin Immunol 30:703-22. 2010..The diversity in T cell response in these ex vivo assessments offers the potential of defining immune correlates of HSV-2 reactivation in humans...
- High Rate of β-Globin DNA Detection Validates Self-Sampling in Herpes Simplex Virus Shedding StudiesAndrew Mujugira
From the Departments of Global Health, Epidemiology, Laboratory Medicine, and Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA and Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA
Sex Transm Dis 42:705-9. 2015..We investigated whether a host gene, β-globin, can be used to confirm adequacy of self-collected mucosal and skin genital specimens in studies of genital herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) infection...
- Polymorphisms in TLR2 are associated with increased viral shedding and lesional rate in patients with genital herpes simplex virus Type 2 infectionPierre Yves Bochud
Institute for Systems Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
J Infect Dis 196:505-9. 2007..02 and P=.001) rates. An SNP in haplotype 2 (-15607A/G) was also associated with shedding (P=.01) and lesional (P=.008) rates. Polymorphisms in TLR2 may be in part responsible for differences in the severity of HSV-2 infection...
- Development of an interferon-gamma ELISPOT assay to detect human T cell responses to HSV-2Christine M Posavad
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Vaccine 29:7058-66. 2011..A sensitive and specific assay to measure HSV-specific T cell responses is a necessary part of vaccine development and thus we undertook the development of an interferon-γ (IFN-γ) ELISPOT assay to measure T cell responses to HSV-2...
- A pooled analysis of the effect of condoms in preventing HSV-2 acquisitionEmily T Martin
Departments of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Arch Intern Med 169:1233-40. 2009..The degree of effectiveness of condom use in preventing the transmission of herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV-2) is uncertain. To address this issue, we performed a large pooled analysis...
- Herpes simplex virus (HSV) suppression with valacyclovir reduces rectal and blood plasma HIV-1 levels in HIV-1/HSV-2-seropositive men: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover trialRichard A Zuckerman
Section of Infectious Disease and International Health, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH, USA
J Infect Dis 196:1500-8. 2007..We studied HIV-1 levels during HSV suppression in coinfected persons in a placebo-controlled crossover trial...
- Serological immunity to adenovirus serotype 5 is not associated with risk of HIV infection: a case-control studyMarcel E Curlin
Vaccine and Infectious Diseases Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, USA
AIDS 25:153-8. 2011..We examined the association between adenovirus serostatus and the rate of incident HIV infection in populations at elevated risk of HIV acquisition...
- Patterns of human herpesvirus-8 oral shedding among diverse cohorts of human herpesvirus-8 seropositive personsRachel A Bender Ignacio
Vaccine and Infectious Diseases Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA USA Division of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA USA Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Seattle, WA USA
Infect Agent Cancer 11:7. 2016..We sought to characterize patterns of HHV-8 oropharyngeal shedding among diverse cohorts that enrolled HHV-8 seropositive persons...
- Predictors of survival after a diagnosis of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in a resource-limited setting: a retrospective study on the impact of HIV infection and its treatmentMoses H Bateganya
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 56:312-9. 2011..We examined factors associated with survival among patients with newly diagnosed non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) in Uganda...
- Risk Factors for HSV-2 Infection among Sexual Partners of HSV-2/HIV-1 Co-Infected PersonsAndrew Mujugira
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
BMC Res Notes 4:64. 2011..We conducted a cross-sectional analysis of risk factors for HSV-2 infection among HIV-1 uninfected partners, whose partners were co-infected with HIV-1 and HSV-2...
- Persistent Kaposi sarcoma in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy: characterizing the predictors of clinical responseHuong Q Nguyen
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
AIDS 22:937-45. 2008..To evaluate the role of highly active antiretroviral therapy and chemotherapy on tumor response among persons with AIDS-related Kaposi sarcoma and identify factors associated with response in a clinic setting...
- Attitudes and Willingness to Assume Risk of Experimental Therapy to Eradicate Genital Herpes Simplex Virus InfectionLinda Oseso
From the Department of Epidemiology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA and Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, London, United Kingdom and Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Sex Transm Dis 43:566-71. 2016....
- Prenatal herpes simplex virus serologic screening beliefs and practices among obstetriciansCarolyn Gardella
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98119, USA
Obstet Gynecol 110:1364-70. 2007..To describe the beliefs and practices of obstetricians related to prenatal serologic testing for HSV infection...