Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Prostate-specific antigen in vaginal fluid as a biologic marker of condom failureM Macaluso
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294 2010, USA
Contraception 59:195-201. 1999..Application of this method in condom efficacy studies provides objective evidence of condom failure that enhances the interpretation of self-report...
- Birth control method choice and use of barrier methods for sexually transmitted disease prevention among low-income African-American womenM Macaluso
Department of Epidemiology and International Health, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Contraception 62:5-13. 2000..The synergism between the intention to prevent pregnancy and the intention to prevent STD should be considered in the design of interventions promoting condom use...
- Leukemia and exposure to 1,3-butadiene, styrene and dimethyldithiocarbamate among workers in the synthetic rubber industryE Delzell
Department of Epidemiology and International Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health, 517 Ryals Building, 1665 University Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Chem Biol Interact 135:515-34. 2001..BD and DMDTC, but not STY, were positively associated with leukemia in multivariable analyses. The independent effect of each agent was difficult to evaluate because of correlations with other agents and imprecision...
- Leukemia and cumulative exposure to butadiene, styrene and benzene among workers in the synthetic rubber industryM Macaluso
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294 2170, USA
Toxicology 113:190-202. 1996..03). A parsimonious interpretation of the findings presented here, in light of previous epidemiologic studies, is that exposure to butadiene in the synthetic rubber industry produces a dose-related increase in the occurrence of leukemia...
- Prevalence of infectious diseases in Bangladeshi women living adjacent to a truck stand: HIV/STD/hepatitis/genital tract infectionsL Gibney
The University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology and International Health, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0022, USA
Sex Transm Infect 77:344-50. 2001..This study examines HIV/hepatitis/STD and other genital tract infections in women living near Tejgaon truck stand in Dhaka, Bangladesh...
- Validity of the mother's recall of her child's antibiotic useA P Dasanayake
School of Dentistry, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
ASDC J Dent Child 62:118-22. 1995....
- An updated study of mortality among North American synthetic rubber industry workersN Sathiakumar
Department of Epidemiology, Ryals School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Occup Environ Med 62:822-9. 2005..This study evaluated the mortality experience of workers from the styrene-butadiene industry...
- STD in Bangladesh's trucking industry: prevalence and risk factorsL Gibney
University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology and International Health, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0022, USA
Sex Transm Infect 78:31-6. 2002....
- Relative accuracy of nucleic acid amplification tests and culture in detecting Chlamydia in asymptomatic menH Cheng
Department of Epidemiology and International Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
J Clin Microbiol 39:3927-37. 2001..Our findings indicate that PCR and LCR are significantly more sensitive than culture, while the three tests have similar specificities...
- Race- and age-dependent alterations in global methylation of DNA in squamous cell carcinoma of the lung (United States)C J Piyathilake
Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Cancer Causes Control 14:37-42. 2003..The current study investigated the race- and age-dependent alterations in global DNA methylation on the development and progression of squamous cell carcinomas (SCCs) of the lung...
- Psychosocial factors associated with self-reported male condom use among women attending public health clinicsS F Posner
Division of Reproductive Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Sex Transm Dis 28:387-93. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The pattern of psychosocial factors determining condom use is modified by a positive history of STD. These findings suggest that a history of STD could be an important factor in targeting condom use interventions...
- Ras family genes: an interesting link between cell cycle and cancerM Macaluso
Department of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, USA
J Cell Physiol 192:125-30. 2002..We summarize here current knowledge of ras genes family: structural and functional characteristics of Ras proteins and their links with cell cycle and cancer...
- How does a normal human cell become a cancer cell?D D Gan
Center for Neurovirology and Cancer Biology, Dept of Biology, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 22:509-16. 2003..Studying how those genes affect cellular immortalization and transformation will help researchers understand more about cancer biology, find new treatments for cancer and/or improve cell survival during gene therapy...
- The regulation of ER-alpha transcription by pRb2/p130 in breast cancerM Macaluso
Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Center of Biotechnology, College of Science and Technology, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Ann Oncol 16:iv20-22. 2005..Our studies suggested that pRb2/p130-complexes bind to the ER-alpha promoter and could be involved in the transcriptional regulation of the ER-alpha gene by altering chromatin structure and DNA methylation pattern...
- Role of geminin: from normal control of DNA replication to cancer formation and progression?M Montanari
Cell Death Differ 13:1052-6. 2006
- Molecular detection of TP53, Ki-Ras and p16INK4A promoter methylation in plasma of patients with colorectal cancer and its association with prognosis. Results of a 3-year GOIM (Gruppo Oncologico dell'Italia Meridionale) prospective studyV Bazan
Section of Medical Oncology and Section of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgical and Oncology, Universita di Palermo, Italy
Ann Oncol 17:vii84-90. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the presence of free tumor DNA in the plasma of CRC patients in order to understand its possible prognostic role...