Affiliation: University of California
- Comparison of a one-time educational intervention to a teach-to-goal educational intervention for self-management of heart failure: design of a randomized controlled trialDarren A DeWalt
Cecil G Sheps Center for Health Services Research, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 9:99. 2009..This study compares a single session self-management HF training program against a multiple session training intervention and examines whether their effects differ by literacy level...
- Relationship between literacy, knowledge, self-care behaviors, and heart failure-related quality of life among patients with heart failureAurelia Macabasco-O'Connell
UCLA School of Nursing, University of California, Olive View UCLA Medical Center Los Angeles, 700 Tiverton Ave, 4 242 Factor Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Gen Intern Med 26:979-86. 2011..We sought to examine the relationship between literacy and heart failure-related quality of life (HFQOL), and to explore whether literacy-related differences in knowledge, self-efficacy and/or self-care behavior explained the relationship...
- Knowledge and perceptions of health literacy among nursing professionalsAurelia Macabasco-O'Connell
School of Nursing, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Health Commun 16:295-307. 2011..Nursing plays an important role in direct patient care and in the delivery of health services. Educating nurses on health literacy and improving patient communication and understanding can improve health outcomes...
- B-type Natriuretic Peptide (BNP) is useful in detecting asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction in low-income, uninsured patientsAurelia Macabasco-O'Connell
University of California Los Angeles, School of Nursing, Acute Care Section, 700 Tiverton Ave, 4 242 Factor Building, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Biol Res Nurs 11:280-7. 2010..The purposes of this study were to describe BNP levels in asymptomatic low-income, uninsured individuals with multiple CRFs and determine the correlation between BNP levels and echocardiography for identifying ALVD...
- Cardiac risk scores in high-risk Hispanics and the predictive value of BNPAurelia Macabasco-O'Connell
University of California Los Angeles School of Nursing, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Clin Nurs 20:3039-46. 2011....
- Self-care behaviors in indigent patients with heart failureAurelia Macabasco-O'Connell
University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6918, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 23:223-30. 2008....
- Biomarkers for heart failureAurelia Macabasco-O'Connell
University of California, Los Angeles, School of Nursing, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Prog Cardiovasc Nurs 21:215-8. 2006
- Heart failure update 2006: integrating the latest guidelines into clinical practiceAurelia Macabasco-O'Connell
School of Nursing, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Prog Cardiovasc Nurs 21:39-43. 2006
- Low literacy is associated with increased risk of hospitalization and death among individuals with heart failureJia Rong Wu
School of Nursing, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7460, USA
J Gen Intern Med 28:1174-80. 2013..Low literacy increases the risk for many adverse health outcomes, but the relationship between literacy and adverse outcomes in heart failure (HF) has not been well studied...
- Gender and racial differences in psychosocial factors of low-income patients with heart failureAurelia Macabasco-O'Connell
University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Heart Lung 39:2-11. 2010..However few data exist in this group. Thus, the purpose of this study is to examine the sociodemographic and psychosocial variables in low-income patients with HF...
- The association of health literacy, social support, self-efficacy and interpersonal interactions with health care providers in low-income Latina mothersEileen K Fry-Bowers
CHOC Children s Hospital, Orange, CA Vulnerable Populations Health Disparities, NIH NINR T32 NR007077, UCLA School of Nursing, Los Angeles, CA Electronic address
J Pediatr Nurs 29:309-20. 2014..We explored relationships between maternal health literacy (HL), communicative self-efficacy (SE), social support (SS) and maternal perception of interactions with health care providers (HCPs)...
- Depressed or not depressed: untangling symptoms of depression in patients hospitalized with coronary heart diseaseAnthony W McGuire
Anthony W McGuire is an assistant professor, California State University, Long Beach, School of Nursing, Long Beach, California Jo Ann Eastwood and Aurelia Macabasco O Connell are assistant professors and Lynn V Doering is professor and chair, Translational Sciences Section, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Nursing, Los Angeles, California Ron D Hays is a professor, Department of Medicine and Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, and a senior behavioral scientist at RAND, Santa Monica, California
Am J Crit Care 23:106-16. 2014..Assessing depression in patients hospitalized with coronary heart disease is clinically challenging because depressive symptoms are often confounded by poor somatic health...
- Overweight and obesity in the context of heart failure: implications for practice and future researchLorraine S Evangelista
School of Nursing, University of California Los Angeles, 700 Tiverton, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6918, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 21:27-33. 2006....
- Health literacy and interpersonal interactions as predictors of maternal perception of ambulatory care for low-income, Latino childrenEileen K Fry-Bowers
School of Nursing, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda 92350, USA
Patient Educ Couns 91:213-20. 2013..This study explores whether maternal HL (MHL) and maternal perception of health care provider (HCP) interpersonal interactions predict maternal perception of quality of pediatric ambulatory care received...
- Depression screening: utility of the patient health questionnaire in patients with acute coronary syndromeAnthony W McGuire
School of Nursing, California State University, Long Beach, CA 90840, USA
Am J Crit Care 22:12-9. 2013..Depression screening in cardiac patients has been recommended by the American Heart Association, but the best approach remains unclear...
- Advancing nursing research through a mentorship program for staff nursesAnna Gawlinski
Ronald Reagan University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
AACN Adv Crit Care 22:190-200. 2011..Unit-based nursing teams learn together to design research studies, test hypotheses, and answer clinically relevant research questions, using the scientific process...
- Effect of a preoperative instructional digital video disc on patient knowledge and preparedness for engaging in postoperative care activitiesJoe Ong
Department of Nursing, Ronald Reagan University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Nurs Clin North Am 44:103-15, xii. 2009..Nurses reported higher levels of knowledge and engagement among patients and their families related to postoperative activities...
- Racial disparities in access to care within the cardiac revascularization populationPamela S Miller
University of California, School of Nursing, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1702, USA
J Natl Black Nurses Assoc 18:63-74. 2007..This will be followed by an exploration of avenues to which nursing science can make substantial contributions...