William B Lober
Affiliation: University of Washington
- Barriers to the use of a personal health record by an elderly populationW B Lober
School of Nursing and Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
AMIA Annu Symp Proc . 2006..Many populations may require assistance in using PHRs to improve their health out-comes. We studied PHR use by an elderly and disabled population and describe those barriers encountered by our patients...
- Information system architectures for syndromic surveillanceWilliam B Lober
University of Washington, MS 357240, 1959 NE Pacific St, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
MMWR Suppl 53:203-8. 2004..Data integration is not unique to public health, and both information technology and academic research should influence development of these systems...
- Collection and integration of clinical data for surveillanceWilliam B Lober
Biomedical and Health Informatics, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 107:1211-5. 2004..We describe significant changes made in this "second generation" of our system to improve data quality while complying with privacy and state public health reporting regulations...
- Syndromic surveillance using automated collection of computerized discharge diagnosesWilliam B Lober
Clinical Informatics Research Group, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Urban Health 80:i97-106. 2003....
- Roundtable on bioterrorism detection: information system-based surveillanceWilliam B Lober
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:105-15. 2002..A mailing list server for these ongoing efforts may be found at http://bt.cirg.washington.edu...
- Acceptability of an Electronic Self-Report Assessment Program for patients with cancerSeth Wolpin
University of Washington, School of Nursing, Seattle, WA 98195 7266, USA
Comput Inform Nurs 26:332-8. 2008..We intend to build on our work by using the survey platform in other modalities while ensuring that the patient's preferences are considered at all times...
- Safety of using a computerized rounding and sign-out system to reduce resident duty hoursErik G Van Eaton
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, 98195 6410, USA
Acad Med 85:1189-95. 2010..The system shortened duty hours by facilitating sign-out, decreasing rounding time, and sharply reducing the time spent in prerounds data recopying...
- A randomized, controlled trial evaluating the impact of a computerized rounding and sign-out system on continuity of care and resident work hoursErik G Van Eaton
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Am Coll Surg 200:538-45. 2005....
- Electronic self-report assessment for cancer and self-care support: results of a multicenter randomized trialDonna L Berry
Donna L Berry, Fangxin Hong, Barbara Halpenny, and Ann H Partridge, Dana Farber Cancer Institute Donna L Berry and Ann H Partridge, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA Jesse R Fann, Upendra Parvathaneni, Anthony L Back, and Dagmar Amtmann, University of Washington Medical Center Jesse R Fann, Anthony L Back, Dagmar Amtmann, and Rosemary Ford, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Seth Wolpin and William B Lober, University of Washington, Seattle and Nigel E Bush, National Center for Telehealth and Technology, US Department of Defense, Joint Base Lewis McChord, Tacoma, WA
J Clin Oncol 32:199-205. 2014..The purpose of this trial was to evaluate the effect of a Web-based, self-report assessment and educational intervention on symptom distress during cancer therapy...
- The electronic self report assessment and intervention for cancer: promoting patient verbal reporting of symptom and quality of life issues in a randomized controlled trialDonna L Berry
Department of Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, University of Washington, Box 357366, Seattle, WA 98195 7366, USA
BMC Cancer 14:513. 2014....
- Depression screening using the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 administered on a touch screen computerJesse R Fann
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 6560, USA
Psychooncology 18:14-22. 2009....
- Usage patterns of a personal health record by elderly and disabled usersEung Hun Kim
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
AMIA Annu Symp Proc . 2007..Understanding of usage patterns can guide the development and maintenance of more usable and pragmatic PHR systems...
- Electronic Self-report Assessment--Cancer (ESRA-C): Working towards an integrated survey systemBryant T Karras
School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 122:514-8. 2006..Preliminary work and lessons learned in the modification of the platform and enhancements to the system will be described...
- Addressing mental health epidemic among university students via web-based, self-screening, and referral system: a preliminary studyEung Hun Kim
Department of Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 15:301-7. 2011..We believe that a web-based system like ours could be used as one way to tackle the growing epidemic of mental health problems among college and university students...
- Improving health literacy: a Web application for evaluating text-to-speech enginesSeth Wolpin
School of Nursing, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Comput Inform Nurs 28:198-204. 2010..Future avenues of research include exploring more complex tasks, usability issues related to implementing text-to-speech features, and applied health promotion and education opportunities among vulnerable populations...
- Computerized symptom and quality-of-life assessment for patients with cancer part I: development and pilot testingDonna L Berry
Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 31:E75-83. 2004..To develop and test an innovative computerized symptom and quality-of-life (QOL) assessment for patients with cancer who are evaluated for and treated with radiation therapy...
- Cohort profile: the Centers for AIDS Research Network of Integrated Clinical SystemsMari M Kitahata
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
Int J Epidemiol 37:948-55. 2008
- Actual use and perceived usefulness of a web-based, decision support program for men with prostate cancerDonna L Berry
School of Nursing, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 122:781-2. 2006..In a sample of 30 men, the P4 program was successfully implemented in a clinical setting. Men reported the program useful and web-logs documented a high use rate of menu-driven components of the intervention...
- Challenges to using an electronic personal health record by a low-income elderly populationEung Hun Kim
University of Washington, Department of Bioengineering, Seattle, WA 98195 2500, USA
J Med Internet Res 11:e44. 2009..Although activity around PHR development and deployment has increased in recent years, little has been reported regarding the use and utility of PHRs among low-income and/or elderly populations...
- Consumer empowerment in health care amid the internet and social mediaWilliam B Lober
Schools ofNursing, Medicine, and Public Health, University ofWashington, Seattle, WA, USA
Semin Oncol Nurs 27:169-82. 2011..Consumer empowerment in health and rapid change in health information and communication technologies have their roots in broader social trends. This article reviews the activities at the intersection of consumer empowerment and technology...
- Implementation and expansion of an electronic medical record for HIV care and treatment in Haiti: an assessment of system use and the impact of large-scale disruptionsAlastair I Matheson
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Int J Med Inform 81:244-56. 2012..The aim of the paper was to describe the development, implementation and use of iSanté, Haiti's national HIV care and treatment EMR...
- Organizing the transfer of patient care information: the development of a computerized resident sign-out systemErik G Van Eaton
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
Surgery 136:5-13. 2004..Using these results, an institution-wide computerized system was developed to centralize information-handling tasks and facilitate the management and transfer of patient care information...
- Development and evaluation of public health informatics at University of WashingtonBryant Thomas Karras
Health Services, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Division of Biomedical and Health Informatics School of Medicine, Department of Medical Education, University of Washington, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 8:37-43. 2002..This article provides an overview of the developmental milestones related to activities in PHI and describes the evaluation strategy and assessment plan for PHI training at the UW (http://phig.washington.edu)...
- A Lab-EMR interoperability profile as an eHealth architecture component for resource-constrained settingsWilliam B Lober
Clinical Informatics Research Group, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7266, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 160:257-61. 2010..Of significance, the profile emphasizes queued matching in order to avoid mutual dependence while achieving interoperability between systems...
- Implementing syndromic surveillance: a practical guide informed by the early experienceKenneth D Mandl
Children s Hospital Informatics Program, Division of Emergency Medicine, Center for Biopreparedness, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 11:141-50. 2004....
- Time-tradeoff utilities for identifying and evaluating a minimum data set for time-critical biosurveillanceJason N Doctor
Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9004, USA
Med Decis Making 28:351-8. 2008..Researchers and policy makers are interested in identifying, implementing, and evaluating a national minimum data set for biosurveillance. However, work remains to be done to establish methods for measuring the value of such data...